Proposal: Avalanche - Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
A) You are starting to sound bitter because nobody likes your proposal
B) You missed the obvious in your comment up top: Silly is most likely a middle six center. I think he's a low end 2C or very solid 3C: a 200' player with some sandpaper to his game and a pretty good shot. Likely a 20-20-40 guy...maybe even a little more
C) Columbus is DEFINITELY NOT TANKING. They didn't tank last season and they are not tanking this season
D) I think it's obvious you are not a CBJ fan, you don't really have a grip on what they need or want
---one of the likely goals of adding Monahan was so Jenner could return to wing. He's unlikely competing with Silly for 3C.
---KJ91's skill set is more Gaudreau than C material, I think we see him focus on the wing
---I'd say Vronk and Silly are competing for that 3C spot and I like both of those guys there...going to be interesting in camp.

In the end, I personally think other than moving Laine, GMDW is done making moves this off-season. He added a 1C to play with Gaudreau and added a veteran D-Man. He's moving Laine to do right by a player that has asked for a change of scenery. But in the end, I think DW wants to see what he has in all his young guys with a new coaching staff before he makes any final decisions about how this team is built going forward. IOW, wanna make an offer for Laine, go for it, but I don't think GMDW is looking to move Silly, KJ91, Vronk, Marchy, Chinny, Jiricek, Mateychuk or any other young developing kid on his roster.
(A) Not bitter at all, it’s difficult to get both fan bases to agree on anything on HF but it still makes for some good banter in the middle of the offseason even though I’m not a fan of either team.

(B) Maybe I missed the obvious up top, but the fact is Sillinger has never played as a top 6 center yet (outside of Jenner injury) and probably won’t this season, the reason why is I don’t see Sillinger displacing Monahan or Jenner as a 1 or 2 Center with Voronkov and Fantilli getting looks in the middle as well.

(C) Columbus may have not been tanking on purpose, but always seem one Werenski season ending injury away from falling apart defensively, GMDW has also failed to improve the team besides adding Monahan and an aging Jack Johnson.

GMDW history is also patient with prospects, so I don’t see him throwing Columbus his future into the fire just yet.

(D) I’m not a Columbus fan, but I know enough to get by and I follow their lineup on a nightly basis during the season and watch as much as I can but not as a Jackets fan.

— Jenner was the Jackets best center last year by miles. When Jenner got injured the team pretty much fell apart again by injury. I can’t see the Jackets moving their best center to wing because they signed Monahan.

— Kent Johnson should be at LW as the responsibility of being a center might be too much for him at the NHL level.

— One thing I can agree with you on is that Sillinger, Voronkov and even Fantilli will be competing for a spot at 3C during training camp, with 1 and 2 C going to Monahan and Jenner.

Waddell is a patient GM and he knows he has a young roster to work with but he also wants to evaluate it this season before making any drastic moves next off-season, any pending UFA may also be gone after the deadline if they don’t fit the long term needs on the Jackets roster.

To add to this discussion I see Jiricek making the opening night roster but I can also see Mateychuk being send to the AHL until deadline after Provorov is dealt.

Another interesting thing about Columbus is prospect is Gavin Brindley who might get a good look during TC and might even get some games before a decision is made to keep or send down Brindley for the season as no additional moves were made to shore up roster depth, regardless, I think this kid might be something despite his small stature.

Brindley has a good forechecking game, great hand eye coordination and is defensively responsible in his own end, Brindley could quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff but needs to gain strength during this offseason.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Last 3 seasons, 117 points in 129 games. Definitely falling off a cliff.

I wont bother reading the rest, you're clearly misinformed [MOD]
Also an embarrassing -58 in his meager 174 games over the last four seasons. He’s averaging an unimpressive 44 games played per year in his last four seasons and he’s been a healthy scratch and in the players assistance program while making $8.7mm per year.

And He’s one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL. Went from averaging 19 minutes a game two years ago to 15 minutes last year. Nice trending.

Again. Really sells itself.

His value has NEVER been lower than it is right now. Even the most blue tinted glasses wearing Bluejackets fan can admit that last part.

ask yourself this. Assume Laine was a UFA this summer. What’s his next contract look like?

It’s probably a 1 year deal. A prove it contract.

Last edited:

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Also an embarrassing -58 in his meager 174 games over the last four seasons. He’s averaging an unimpressive 44 games played per year in his last four seasons and he’s been a healthy scratch and in the players assistance program while making $8.7mm per year.

And He’s one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL. Went from averaging 19 minutes a game two years ago to 15 minutes last year. Nice trending.

His value has NEVER been lower than it is right now. Even the most blue tinted glasses wearing Bluejackets fan can admit that last part.

ask yourself this. Assume Laine was a UFA this summer. What’s his next contract look like?

No. If Chandler Stephenson gets 7 years. Laine gets at least 2. Which is exactly the number being offered via trade.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
(A) Not bitter at all, it’s difficult to get both fan bases to agree on anything on HF but it still makes for some good banter in the middle of the offseason even though I’m not a fan of either team.

(B) Maybe I missed the obvious up top, but the fact is Sillinger has never played as a top 6 center yet (outside of Jenner injury) and probably won’t this season, the reason why is I don’t see Sillinger displacing Monahan or Jenner as a 1 or 2 Center with Voronkov and Fantilli getting looks in the middle as well.

(C) Columbus may have not been tanking on purpose, but always seem one Werenski season ending injury away from falling apart defensively, GMDW has also failed to improve the team besides adding Monahan and an aging Jack Johnson.

GMDW history is also patient with prospects, so I don’t see him throwing Columbus his future into the fire just yet.

(D) I’m not a Columbus fan, but I know enough to get by and I follow their lineup on a nightly basis during the season and watch as much as I can but not as a Jackets fan.

— Jenner was the Jackets best center last year by miles. When Jenner got injured the team pretty much fell apart again by injury. I can’t see the Jackets moving their best center to wing because they signed Monahan.

— Kent Johnson should be at LW as the responsibility of being a center might be too much for him at the NHL level.

— One thing I can agree with you on is that Sillinger, Voronkov and even Fantilli will be competing for a spot at 3C during training camp, with 1 and 2 C going to Monahan and Jenner.

Waddell is a patient GM and he knows he has a young roster to work with but he also wants to evaluate it this season before making any drastic moves next off-season, any pending UFA may also be gone after the deadline if they don’t fit the long term needs on the Jackets roster.

To add to this discussion I see Jiricek making the opening night roster but I can also see Mateychuk being send to the AHL until deadline after Provorov is dealt.

Another interesting thing about Columbus is prospect is Gavin Brindley who might get a good look during TC and might even get some games before a decision is made to keep or send down Brindley for the season as no additional moves were made to shore up roster depth, regardless, I think this kid might be something despite his small stature.

Brindley has a good forechecking game, great hand eye coordination and is defensively responsible in his own end, Brindley could quickly earn the trust of the coaching staff but needs to gain strength during this offseason.
A few nuances:
1. When Jenner got hurt in December, the team played better without him.
2. He played too much while the other centers played much less. Of course, I understand why, but he's not our best center.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Everyone loves Jenner...I get it. He's the kind of player every team wants to have. Ultimate teammate, will do anything to win, and absolutely Mr Consistent giving 100% all the time. But the fact is he has a somewhat limited skill set. He's not the fastest guy, he's not the greatest passer and he doesn't possess a great shot. What he does do is consistently win a lot of face-offs, not make mistakes, work hard in the corners, and willing to take abuse in front of the net to make a play. He's also our team captain. I am not sure there are many guys in the league the past twenty years who have gotten more out of their skillset than Jenner.

He's also 30+, had regular back issues and been playing way too many minutes. It is widely believed the team wants to reduce his minutes and responsibilities by lowering him in the lineup and move him back to wing where he played the vast majority of his NHL career. It hasn't happened because there hasn't been a better option. Until this upcoming season. Monahan will center the top line with his buddy Gaudreau, Fantilli who had a good but not great freshman season will be given all opportunities to center the 2nd line and Vronk and Silly have both already proven they can handle 3rd line centering duties.

GMDW did not do anything else from the forward position because he has a bevy of young talented players that will continue to grow in the NHL: KJ, Marchenko and Chinny. When you add these three to the six above you have nine who all belong in top nine roles. I would expect Jenner to be a security blanket for either Fantilli or Silly/Vronk while playing the wing.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017

If the first thing you can muster is bringing up plus minus of all things, that should tell you everything you need to know about your own argument.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad