Proposal: Avalanche - Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
B6E68060-E16E-45AC-BB15-B6B0B4A95354.jpegColorado acquires: RW/LW Patrik Laine and signing rights to RFA C Cole Sillinger

(CBJ Retains $2.75mil per season on the last two seasons of Laine’s contract)

:cbjColumbus acquires: LD/RD Samuel Girard, RW Oscar Olausson and a conditional 2rd round pick in 2026 (COL)

(Girard waives 9 team no trade list for Columbus)
(Condition: Laine has to play 41 games in each season for the 2nd round pick to convey to the Blue Jackets).

Colorado gets: More depth at forward with accurate scoring winger in Laine and rights to (RFA) 2-way center Sillinger.

Columbus gets: Veteran puck moving defender that can play LD or RD in Girard and 2-way shooting winger Olausson.

Both teams assume risk in this deal as Colorado would be banking on Laine to return to his old form after dealing with injuries and personal issues and Columbus would be taking on an extra year of Girard’s contract with the confidence that he could hold down a 2nd pairing spot on the Jackets blueline if Provorov is moved before the deadline.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
View attachment 896889Colorado acquires: RW/LW Patrik Laine and signing rights to RFA C Cole Sillinger

(CBJ Retains $2.75mil per season on the last two seasons of Laine’s contract)

:cbjColumbus acquires: LD/RD Samuel Girard, RW Oscar Olausson and a conditional 2rd round pick in 2026 (COL)

(Girard waives 9 team no trade list for Columbus)
(Condition: Laine has to play 41 games in each season for the 2nd round pick to convey to the Blue Jackets).

Colorado gets: More depth at forward with accurate scoring winger in Laine and rights to (RFA) 2-way center Sillinger.

Columbus gets: Veteran puck moving defender that can play LD or RD in Girard and 2-way shooting winger Olausson.

Both teams assume risk in this deal as Colorado would be banking on Laine to return to his old form after dealing with injuries and personal issues and Columbus would be taking on an extra year of Girard’s contract with the confidence that he could hold down a 2nd pairing spot on the Jackets blueline if Provorov is moved before the deadline.

You must be an Aves fan. Love how you sneak Sillinger in there, like he has no value…….

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't see the value here for Columbus. If Laine returns to form you're getting a top line, PPG forward. Given who he'd likely be on a line with, that shouldn't be too hard to imagine. All that for 6M for two seasons. Colorado needs to add significantly. All Girard is going to do is take a spot that would be filled by Mateychuk or Jiricek, both of which can provide what Girard does for half the cost.

I’m not an Avs fan nor am i a Jackets fan. No bias towards either team.

I don’t value Sillinger all that high, he also doesn’t have a contract right now.
He's about to get a multiyear extension on what I'm assuming will be a cheap deal.

Reactions: behemolari

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Makes no sense for Colorado. If this trade was in February sure, but not now. Avs have their 2C in Mitts and are needing G on the 2nd pairing cause banking on CDH or Branstromm is risky. I also have little doubt Laine will return to his former self, especially in the Avs system of speed, speed, speed. Bedner would bench him by the 2nd period of game 1.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I don't see the value here for Columbus. If Laine returns to form you're getting a top line, PPG forward. Given who he'd likely be on a line with, that shouldn't be too hard to imagine. All that for 6M for two seasons. Colorado needs to add significantly. All Girard is going to do is take a spot that would be filled by Mateychuk or Jiricek, both of which can provide what Girard does for half the cost.

He's about to get a multiyear extension on what I'm assuming will be a cheap deal.
Makes no sense for Colorado. If this trade was in February sure, but not now. Avs have their 2C in Mitts and are needing G on the 2nd pairing cause banking on CDH or Branstromm is risky. I also have little doubt Laine will return to his former self, especially in the Avs system of speed, speed, speed. Bedner would bench him by the 2nd period of game 1.
Columbus fan don’t see the value, Colorado fan says it doesn’t make sense.

Columbus needs a LD from what their fans are saying Girard is a top 4 that can play either side, Olausson is also a former 1st rounder same draft as Sillinger.

The risk is, if Laine returns to form, he would be a good winger for Mittelstadt, especially with the question marks on Landeskog and Nichushkin.

Lehkonen is also coming off shoulder surgery.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean the Avs do this all day and figure out how to make it work later. That’s insane value for Girard, and I say that as somebody who thinks he gets a bit of a bad rap and is still a decent middle pair defender with some strong traits and some obvious weaknesses. Olausson is a project at best and probably a bust…he is not comparable to Sillinger who is at worst a young middle six NHL forward with some versatility.

Laine may have his issues and isn’t cheap but the Jackets aren’t just gonna give him away. Before last season’s issues he had two seasons of basically PPG play. The issue is keeping him on the ice. Which, I get it, on a team dealing with Nuke and Landeskog and a new Rantanen contract on the way, may not be an ideal trait. But he’s still a very good player when out there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus needs a LD from what their fans are saying
:facepalm: :banghead:
FFS. Learn to read someday, y'all. This is ridiculous. Nobody associated with the Jackets fanbase has ever said "we need a LD" for this season. What keeps getting said is that we need a shutdown defender. That said defender be a lefty would be a bonus. Girard is not nor has he ever been a "shutdown" guy by any perverse stretch of the imagination; he is, in fact, the apotheosis of exactly the last possible type of guy we could ever possibly need this coming year.

Seriously. Pay attention to details. Details matter.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Jackets say no
May I ask why the Jackets would say no?

Is an all around top 4 defender Girard, a shooting developing prospect Olausson and a potential 2nd round pick not enough value for Laine and Sillinger.

Laine has only averaged 43.5 games as a Blue Jackets over the last 4 seasons, it’s a risky move to acquire a player that may not play over 41 games in either season if Laine doesn’t return to his previous form from his Winnipeg days.

Cole Sillinger is a bottom 6 center that’s an odd case, as he was billed as a good shooting forward with good vision and playmaking ability but doesn’t shoot as much as he should.

Sillinger has taken a hit offensively but has gotten much better on the defensive side of the puck has also been working on his faceoffs a lot more but is still a work in progress.

The AHL assignment seemed to help Cole regain some lost confidence.

Provorov might not be with Columbus too much longer as the deadline looms as a rental for contending teams, so Girard could take his place at 2nd pair LD and would probably be a better all around option over Provorov.

Oskar Olausson is still developing but was having a good season in the AHL before a season ending shoulder surgery derailed his season, he should come back in the fall 100% and could look to capitalize on last seasons gains, Olausson was also billed as a shooter just like Sillinger but wasn’t developed as far long like Sillinger was right out of the draft.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
May I ask why the Jackets would say no?

Is an all around top 4 defender Girard, a shooting developing prospect Olausson and a potential 2nd round pick not enough value for Laine and Sillinger.

Laine has only averaged 43.5 games as a Blue Jackets over the last 4 seasons, it’s a risky move to acquire a player that may not play over 41 games in either season if Laine doesn’t return to his previous form from his Winnipeg days.

Cole Sillinger is a bottom 6 center that’s an odd case, as he was billed as a good shooting forward with good vision and playmaking ability but doesn’t shoot as much as he should.

Sillinger has taken a hit offensively but has gotten much better on the defensive side of the puck has also been working on his faceoffs a lot more but is still a work in progress.

The AHL assignment seemed to help Cole regain some lost confidence.

Provorov might not be with Columbus too much longer as the deadline looms as a rental for contending teams, so Girard could take his place at 2nd pair LD and would probably be a better all around option over Provorov.

Oskar Olausson is still developing but was having a good season in the AHL before a season ending shoulder surgery derailed his season, he should come back in the fall 100% and could look to capitalize on last seasons gains, Olausson was also billed as a shooter just like Sillinger but wasn’t developed as far long like Sillinger was right out of the draft.
I dont think the jackets will get a premium for Laine but I don’t see the need for girard for the jackets. Werenski, Provorov and eventually matechyuk (after a year in the Ahl). Think they will after a different type of dman. Sillinger is still a young center who probably was thrust into the nhl to quickly but he plays a position of more value for the jackets then another prospect winger which they have in abundance. (Brinkley, Dumais.)

Just my reasoning but admittedly I could be very wrong.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
:facepalm: :banghead:
FFS. Learn to read someday, y'all. This is ridiculous. Nobody associated with the Jackets fanbase has ever said "we need a LD" for this season. What keeps getting said is that we need a shutdown defender. That said defender be a lefty would be a bonus. Girard is not nor has he ever been a "shutdown" guy by any perverse stretch of the imagination; he is, in fact, the apotheosis of exactly the last possible type of guy we could ever possibly need this coming year.

Seriously. Pay attention to details. Details matter.
Columbus could have had a LD shutdown defender if their coaches put their players in the right situations.

Provorov should have not been placed in his offensive situation, for which he is incapable of handling, Provorov should only be used as a defensive weapon nothing more.

On the Jackets board in different threads there is mention of needing LD not a defensive defenseman in particular, as you stated.

Samuel Girard is being terribly underrated once again as he is not just an offensive defenseman as some uninformed posters make him out to be.

Girard is not a shutdown defender either, he’s more of an all around defender that is a good mobile puck mover who also has a good stick in defending.

Details do matter, I may not be a Jackets fan but I pay attention as much as I can under the other 31 circumstances.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus could have had a LD shutdown defender if their coaches put their players in the right situations.

Provorov should have not been placed in his offensive situation, for which he is incapable of handling, Provorov should only be used as a defensive weapon nothing more.
Provorov isn't being given the prime offensive minutes. Werenski is. Provorov has not been reliable as a shutdown guy.
On the Jackets board in different threads there is mention of needing LD not a defensive defenseman in particular, as you stated.
Hon, I help run that board. Don't try to gaslight me. The call for LD is for a shutdown guy. The purpose is to have someone who can give Jiricek a "safe space" to develop.
Samuel Girard is being terribly underrated once again as he is not just an offensive defenseman as some uninformed posters make him out to be.
Hon, I'm also a Preds fan. I know what Girard is. He's not a "fourth forward" but he is not a sufficiently capable defender.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Provorov isn't being given the prime offensive minutes. Werenski is. Provorov has not been reliable as a shutdown guy.

Hon, I help run that board. Don't try to gaslight me. The call for LD is for a shutdown guy. The purpose is to have someone who can give Jiricek a "safe space" to develop.

Hon, I'm also a Preds fan. I know what Girard is. He's not a "fourth forward" but he is not a sufficiently capable defender.
Provorov shouldn’t be given the prime offensive minutes Werenski is given.

Provorov has not been a reliable shut down guy because they’re trying to make Ivan be an offensive guy which he isn’t, it won’t work.

I’ll see you in the CBJ board I’ll try to make it a priority, I don’t know what your gaslight has anything to do with the discussion of the proposal and players associated with the Blue Jackets and Avalanche.

Why are we so aggressive in discussing hockey players towards the end of July, if I didn’t know any better your probably GM Don Waddell. :hit:

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
He's RFA, not having a contract has very little effect on his value.
What if Sillinger gets way overpaid and then shits the bed this season.

It could have an effect since his cap hit is unknown at this time.

Cole Sillinger’s season could go many different ways depending on how the Evason plays him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What if Sillinger gets way overpaid and then shits the bed this season.

It could have an effect since his cap hit is unknown at this time.

Cole Sillinger’s season could go many different ways depending on how the Evason plays him.

That's based on two random bad outcomes in a row.

What if he signs a fair or cheap deal and has a breakout season? What a steal of a trade!

See how easy it is when we're just deciding the hypotheticals?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Columbus fan don’t see the value, Colorado fan says it doesn’t make sense.

Columbus needs a LD from what their fans are saying Girard is a top 4 that can play either side, Olausson is also a former 1st rounder same draft as Sillinger.

The risk is, if Laine returns to form, he would be a good winger for Mittelstadt, especially with the question marks on Landeskog and Nichushkin.

Lehkonen is also coming off shoulder surgery.
Value is relative.

On the Jackets, he doesn't carry the same value on teams more in need of that type of player. Waddell has already all big stated he went and got Jack Johnson as a safety valve in case one of the young kids (Mateychuk, Jiricek, Christiansen) doesn't look ready. Whether that's a smart idea or not, is debatable..

With that in mind, why would he go trade his most valuable trade chip for something he could have easily gotten in FA?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Provorov shouldn’t be given the prime offensive minutes Werenski is given.
See above re: learn to read. HE ISN'T. Werenski is getting those minutes. Not Prororov. Werenski's minutes are going to Werenski.
Provorov has not been a reliable shut down guy because they’re trying to make Ivan be an offensive guy
They're not. They really are not. That has been the only way in which he's been able to contribute. You're putting the cart before the horse and confusing effect with cause.
Why are we so aggressive in discussing hockey players towards the end of July, if I didn’t know any better your probably GM Don Waddell. :hit:
Because you came in with a complete trash proposal and doubled down when called on it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The proposal falls a bit short on value for Columbus and doesn't meet their needs.

The needs is very succinctly that they need shutdown caliber defenders, they're already overloaded with offensive guys. Mateychuk looks like he's pushing for minutes too. Girard doesn't fit.

On value, I think Laine at $6m x 2 ought to fetch more. That's a great contract compared to anything you can do in UFA. And I'm not big on Sillinger but he could fetch more than 2nd + Olausson if we wanted to move him.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
As an Avs fan I would say that’s terrible value for the Jackets. I’d definitely be open to acquiring both players, but I would imagine it would likely cost a decent chunk more.

From a Jackets fan perspective are Sillinger or Johnston available?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Horrendous value for Columbus. The Avs pretty much give up nothing else than Girard and Sammy G is just an okay 2nd pairing Dman.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods

Probably one reason why they're getting new ones?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad