Friedman: Avalanche are looking at Blackwood and Gibson

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Gibson (50% retained) and a 2nd rounder for Georgiev.

I could maybe see something like that, but it’s still pretty risky for the Avs to take on another 2 years of Gibson’s contract after this one at 3.2 million when he’s been injury-prone and garbage for over half a decade now.

Replacing Georgiev and his expiring cap hit with a similar goalie for a similar cap hit for an additional two years is, honestly, not very enticing.

• Haha
Reactions: Sascha and hn777

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

So the Ducks take a cap dump in Georgiev that they have no use for, retain on a player they give up, and have to pay a 2nd for the privilege? On what planet does that do anything for them?

I could maybe see something like that, but it’s still pretty risky for the Avs to take on another 2 years of Gibson’s contract after this one at 3.2 million when he’s been injury-prone and garbage for over half a decade now.

Replacing Georgiev and his expiring cap hit with a similar goalie for a similar cap hit for an additional two years is, honestly, not very enticing.

Thing is, we're seeing Georgiev behind a good team and he sucks. We haven't seen Gibson behind a good team in ages ... in fact there's literally been some historically bad ones. As in all time terrible defensively.

You think last night was one sided, two years ago that was about what half the Ducks' games looked like. If Gibson behind that team is only as bad as Georgiev behind the current Avs, there's a good chance Gibson will be a significant upgrade on the Avs.

Reactions: luiginb and hn777

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Should have just kept Kuemper if they are looking into these options. Man the Avs are stupid AF for letting him go

Reactions: hn777

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Gibson has only had 1 year in the last 5 where he finished in the top 15 of goalies in goals saved above expected per 60, 2020-21 at 12 among goalies who played at least 35 games. 2021-22, 22-23 and 23-24 he finished 32nd, 32nd and 37th. He can't be worth that much.

redwings86

I understood english and hockey
Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
Gibson has only had 1 year in the last 5 where he finished in the top 15 of goalies in goals saved above expected per 60, 2020-21 at 12 among goalies who played at least 35 games. 2021-22, 22-23 and 23-24 he finished 32nd, 32nd and 37th. He can't be worth that much.

Gibson has one or two good World Championship tournament with the USA.

I don't know more than last five in the NHL.

Gibson are quite old?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Should have just kept Kuemper if they are looking into these options. Man the Avs are stupid AF for letting him go

I think it would have been even stupider to give a 32 year old goalie who had played more than 31 games only twice in his career a 5 year contract with a $5.25m cap hit. And he just got put on IR today, after posting a .890 SV% over his first 3 games, so they'd probably still be in the same situation of needing a goalie. At least Georgiev's contract expires after this year, so they can send him back as a cap dump if needed.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I think that’s what the Avs are hoping for. I think they’re probably hoping to get him at 50% retained for minimal assets

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
I think it would have been even stupider to give a 32 year old goalie who had played more than 31 games only twice in his career a 5 year contract with a $5.25m cap hit. And he just got put on IR today, after posting a .890 SV% over his first 3 games, so they'd probably still be in the same situation of needing a goalie. At least Georgiev's contract expires after this year, so they can send him back as a cap dump if needed.
And how old is Gibson? That’s mental gymnastics right there. Kuemper would be solving our goaltender issues right now. He fit our team like a glove

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

If the rumor is true, they’re obviously OK with his term. And it could turn out to be beneficial if Gibson goes to Colorado and has success.

Reactions: xAvsx89

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And how old is Gibson? That’s mental gymnastics right there. Kuemper would be solving our goaltender issues right now. He fit our team like a glove

Where exactly did I say a single word about Gibson? Accusing your strawman of doing mental gymnastics is an interesting tactic. So is claiming that a guy currently on IR with a .890 SV% would be "solving our goaltender issues right now".

I do agree that Kuemper would fit our team like a glove, but that's only because the rest of our goalies also suck, so he wouldn't be out of place at all.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Where exactly did I say a single word about Gibson? Accusing your strawman of doing mental gymnastics is an interesting tactic. So is claiming that a guy currently on IR with a .890 SV% would be "solving our goaltender issues right now".

I do agree that Kuemper would fit our team like a glove, but that's only because the rest of our goalies also suck, so he wouldn't be out of place at all.

It's no use to debate Kuemper with Kuemper himself on his burner account.

But as for this thread, Gibson is expansive garbage. Rather take Blackwood, he almost beats us last year single handley and I think he has potential still.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I would be terrified to see Gibson playing behind a team like the Avs.

His biggest issue is that he's a bit of a headcase but a no-bullshit guy like MacKinnon running the show would snap him back to form in no time.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Blackwood has like 1 season of strong underlying results in the past 3 years.
and those were expected results

so this isnt the analytics in Sprigings and parnass pushing for him

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Blackwood isn't very good but he's absolutely better than Kahkonen, whom I affectionately nicknamed "Tankko Tankonen" last season when the Sharks. Blackwood was passable, in contrast.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Gibson would be great for Avs.

No idea the price though. Ducks have a nice rebuild and would want young promising players or picks coming back. They aren't taking cap dumps back.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

No idea the price though. Ducks have a nice rebuild and would want young promising players or picks coming back. They aren't taking cap dumps back.

In a way, Gibson is a cap dump. Their new guy looks promising.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
In a way, Gibson is a cap dump. Their new guy looks promising.
He's definitely a cap dump... but he has value. Some of the offers I'm seeing is Gibson for another cap dump. No idea why the Duck's would do that? He has some value to a team just like the Avs.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He's definitely a cap dump... but he has value. Some of the offers I'm seeing is Gibson for another cap dump. No idea why the Duck's would do that? He has some value to a team just like the Avs.

Do you believe he has value at his current Val hit? He has seen his numbers drop for essentially 5 consecutive seasons, with Dostal providing the same or better numbers. If they plan on trading him at full cap hit, there is no chance that a cap dump isn’t going back. Now the length and degree of dump are certainly questions, but to ask why they’d do that is to facilitate the trade.

Reactions: Linds

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Do you believe he has value at his current Val hit? He has seen his numbers drop for essentially 5 consecutive seasons, with Dostal providing the same or better numbers. If they plan on trading him at full cap hit, there is no chance that a cap dump isn’t going back. Now the length and degree of dump are certainly questions, but to ask why they’d do that is to facilitate the trade.

I think the poster was implying they wouldn’t take only cap dumps. They’d likely have to take some cap to make the deal work

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think the poster was implying they wouldn’t take only cap dumps. They’d likely have to take some cap to make the deal work

Ahhh that’s my bad, interpreted it as not wanting to take any sort of cap dump back.

Regardless, the question of value is still pretty large.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

He’s a mystery box. And the extra years elevates the risk.

Reactions: Czechboy

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

IMO they'd take a good but overpaid defensive bottom 6 forward back, as long as the term is 2 years or less. Their penalty kill still stinks, and they are terrible at faceoffs. It'll be years before the current 19-21 year olds are anchoring that unit, but they can't wait that long to fix it.

In a way, Gibson is a cap dump.

I kind of feel the opposite. They almost have to get salary back because of the cap floor. So it's just a question of whether that salary coming back is attached to something useful to them, or not (in which case the add is the real value).

Same with Fowler. Both are being made expendable by younger players, so ideally they redistribute their cap space into an area of need.

Do you believe he has value at his current Val hit?

I think the assumption is they're open to retaining some, and taking enough salary back to keep them compliant.

Reactions: Czechboy

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
IMO they'd take a good but overpaid defensive bottom 6 forward back, as long as the term is 2 years or less. Their penalty kill still stinks, and they are terrible at faceoffs. It'll be years before the current 19-21 year olds are anchoring that unit, but they can't wait that long to fix it.

I kind of feel the opposite. They almost have to get salary back because of the cap floor. So it's just a question of whether that salary coming back is attached to something useful to them, or not (in which case the add is the real value).

Same with Fowler. Both are being made expendable by younger players, so ideally they redistribute their cap space into an area of need.

I think the assumption is they're open to retaining some, and taking enough salary back to keep them compliant.
He’s a 32 year old goalie with an AAV of 6.4 while having a save % of less than .900. Whatever the Ducks retain on Gibson represents freed cap space over the next few years. That also has value. Talking about the cap floor in 2024/25 doesn’t address that fortunes may change in a season or two.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
He’s a mystery box. And the extra years elevates the risk.
100 percent

But you have georgeiv right now and are losing games you should win. Great squad being undone by a struggling goalie is what happened to NJ last year.

There is no obvious 1A goalie available to my knowledge.

So Gibson is a good idea. Korpisalo maybe? I'd try and ory vanecek or vejmelka away as they could be cheaper.

And you may think they all suck.. but who's available to step in? It's not an idea situation for the AVS unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad