Friedman: Avalanche are looking at Blackwood and Gibson

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Lack of goaltending talent is an issue in the league. Probably the hardest position most teams can figure out.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Gibson has been the subject of endless trade rumors for, what, 6-7 years now, at least? I'm starting to believe he's going to retire as a Duck.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I don't think the Ducks would take back salary on Gibson and would they really want Georgiev?

They actually have to take back SOME salary for cap floor reasons. Just a question of whether that salary is attached to someone they can use, or if it's just a cap dump. But Georgiev would almost certainly be in the latter category ... So you'd expect they'd get value for a presumably retained Gibson, plus value for taking Georgiev as a cap dump.

The thing to keep in mind in a Gibson (or Fowler) trade is the Ducks doing so isn't about dumping salary, but rather getting something useful for a player who's being replaced by younger guys very soon if not already, while rewarding a long time vet who doesn't fit the window by sending him to a playoff team.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Gibson has been the subject of endless trade rumors for, what, 6-7 years now, at least? I'm starting to believe he's going to retire as a Duck.

Prior to this they didn't know what would replace him if they traded him, so a return had to be really really good to be worth it. Now Dostal is removing that concern.

Also 2 years ago someone would have had to take on a high salary for 5 years, or the Ducks would have had to retain for really long. Now retention is shorter, and goalie salaries have shot up.

50% retention now would push him outside the top 25 paid goalies for the team that acquires him. If he regains his form behind a good team at 3.2m for the next 3 years that's a steal. Hell at that price he doesn't have to be much better than average to be worth it.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Looking? They should be so much more than looking.

If there's even a shred of a chance that any goalie with a pulse might be available, then the Avs should have their eyes turning heart shaped and popping out of their heads like a Wylie Coyote cartoon.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Blackwood looked really good last season, just didn’t stand a chance behind a terrible Sharks defense. He has a tough time staying healthy though.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Ate last night's game, I'd take Dostal over Gibson. Then once Toews, Landy, Nishushkin, Lekhy return, just hand us the cup (sarcasm folks).

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hoffer gets the nod tonight over Binnigton. Perhaps the Avs may want to target JB, as long as they can take on his salary and contract he would be a decent choice.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ugh Blackwood would just be more of the same imo.

Binnington? I think I'm gonna be sick

We need Nabokov to get over here asap
Considering Blackwood hasn’t been more of the same behind a Sharks defense the last 2 seasons that is one of the worst in the cap era, dunno about that.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I asked in another thread what the Avs would offer for Blackwood and didn't get any real positive response. I honestly think he'd do alright there. Maybe not a long term fixture, but he could stop the bleeding and hold his own with the Avs.
Avs would offer their dead wood in return😁

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
hoffer gets the nod tonight over Binnigton. Perhaps the Avs may want to target JB, as long as they can take on his salary and contract he would be a decent choice.
His history of inciting race hate against Avalanche players may make this an unpopular choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad