OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think the worst is yet to come. If rescuers and clean up crews can’t get in soon we will see outbreaks of cholera & other diseases. Mold is already starting to develop in the damaged homes & other buildings.
Not to be too graphic, but there are areas in NC right now where you can smell the death in the air. The fatalities are going to skyrocket by the end of the month. The scope is not really known as everyone is focused on addressing the most important needs. Once there is more clearing and rebuilding we will finally be able to "Count the cost" in lives and infrastructure.

I expect it to break records, sadly.

Reactions: BMC and Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Not to be too graphic, but there are areas in NC right now where you can smell the death in the air. The fatalities are going to skyrocket by the end of the month. The scope is not really known as everyone is focused on addressing the most important needs. Once there is more clearing and rebuilding we will finally be able to "Count the cost" in lives and infrastructure.

I think you're right.

Its unfortunately reminding me of Katrina.

Just horrifying.

#NorthCarolinaStrong

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Finally on vacation. Why do people suddenly need things at 2pm on the Friday before vacation?? I’m so lucky for my boss to step in to help me with something that kept growing in scope.

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Sadly I think you are right.

What happened here is probably what it was like when hurricanes struck back in the days before television and radio. No time to prepare, suddenly it's here and suddenly it's very, very bad and too late to do anything but hunker down and pray.

I mean seriously.... who expects western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee to be obliterated by a hurricane that made landfall in Florida?

And now there's another one lining up to hit Florida next week :help:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Still packing in preparation for my move in a few weeks. Put the next box to be filled on my couch and sat down for a minute to rest.

Then I hear "whuff whuff whuff" and look to my left:

20241005_134004.jpg

"Is this box for me?"

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I've been watching the news reports, podcasts, and researching the events of the devastating tragedy that occurred in specifically western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee due to hurricane Helene and the catastrophic flooding. Families and hundreds possibly a thousand plus people are still missing as entire towns, buildings, homes, businesses had been washed away. An additional two hundred to three hundred people confirmed dead and that total is rising every day. In many communities the stench of death is in the air from decaying human bodies, pets, and what was livestock formerly in the area now covered under debris.

Most people, all these days later, are still isolated without proper shelter, food, water, electricity, and medical care. Some people/communities are cut off in very isolated areas. Thete is no access to many locations due to roads and bridges having been destroyed, rescue efforts are forced to use other means, ATVs, horses, mules, on foot hiking through the terrain, and when allowed helicopters to try and reach the survivors.

these people lost everything. At this moment they don't need money, they need immediate help, medical and phycology care, food and shelter. These are our American bothers, sisters and children that are in dire need of assistance. I am infuriated by the federal response.

I implore each of you to do a little research find out the organizations that have boots on the ground actually actively doing everything they can to bring aid to these people ( Samaritan purse, Mercuryone to name a couple). If you are able to contribute with a donation of a few dollars please do so wisely. If you are unable to donate then pray, pray for the people and the region. Prayer is very powerful and helps in ways you can't even imagine.

It will be years, if not decades, before this regions infrastructure and communities are restored and rebuilt. This is a very beautiful natural area of our country, the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina from Ashville up throught Bannor Elk, Boone, Chimney Rock devistated. Places like Grandfather Mountain, Sugar Mountain ... it is so very sobering how quickly and unexpectedly everything can change over night. We just never know when it could be one of us in their situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: BMC and Mione134

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad