OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I understand cybersecurity measures are important but I'm running into walls because of 2-factor authorization on everything now

For most of my adult life I used my college email address as my primary email. It was hosted by Gmail so I had an associated Google drive, etc. last year, after about 14 years of activity, they decided to close alumni accounts so I lost access to it and all the history in it.

Now, my old laptop had Dropbox to backup everything. I never put it on my new laptop, but I was trying to hunt down some old pictures for family that I would've had on that laptop and tried to log into Dropbox. I had the username and password correct, but it took me straight to a 2FA page where I have to get a verification code to the old email address that I don't have access to anymore. Trying to bypass that is a pain in the ass, as I'm emailing support back and forth since they ask weirdly specific questions to verify my info, like when I opened the account (I can only put it in a range of like 4 years) and the name of a file I had recently uploaded (like how am i supposed to remember that?)

What's the point of passwords if entering them doesn't let me into my account anyway?

Even with other applications, as much as I recognize 2FA is more secure, it's annoying d inconvenient every time I log in to things to have to pick up my phone and read a code from a text to get through.
I loathe 2FA with every fiber of my being

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I spoke to someone in Asheville, NC today and they told me they have to rebuild the water infrastructure and were told they'd have no water for 2 months.

passwords are going away here eventually. Passkeys are the new authentication method on the horizon.
Way easier than remembering a password. Just give me an authenticator token or app and I am happy.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I spoke to someone in Asheville, NC today and they told me they have to rebuild the water infrastructure and were told they'd have no water for 2 months.
Wooooow, we have two pumps here being installed now, 2 more in delivery from up north. Been watching heavily laden supply trucks slowly make their way past my house the last few days. I can't even get around the mountains down to Asheville because the road is washed out :P

2 months is crazy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
1727821905301.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad