Jan 4, 2012
Matthews is injury prone.
He's not making more than Tavares.

Maybe ... if he signs an 8 year deal.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This is fiction.

Matthews just said whoever Babs puts there is fine. Creating a drama because someone said it is always fun to play with player X is a waste of energy, typing and our reading.

News flash, every NHL player wants to play with the best players they can because it is more fun and improves their chances of generating offense. This is not the same as insisting you play with someone.

Are things just going too well so we have to invent problems now? Surely there is a bottom pairing D or backup goalie you guys can ***** about?

WOW, Matthews gets his way and poof the old Matthews is back... sure is a coincidence.

Reactions: frizzer1

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He and Marner looked good tonight. Made lots of plays that will open up space and tear down structure. They just weren't in sync, so those things rarely led to something. I want to see more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That was more emotion that usual displayed by Matthews when that PP shot went in..

He really wanted that one bad. Hopefully the goals start coming more freely again once the Leafs return to action.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I hope Babcock gives them a few more games together.
It's almost too bad that he's in the ASG - could probably use the rest

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
There were three shifts in the 2nd where he was his usual self, just flat out dominant. Aggressive on the puck, couldn't get knocked off, stickhandled and skated well, and even made that one move where there whole arena lit up in that exact moment. I noticed Kuznetsov was tasked to shadow him the entire game, and I thought he and his line did a really good job of it. Teams will make it tougher on him by not giving him the space that has made him thrive.

I will be in the minority, but I just didn't see the chemistry between Matthews and Marner to be honest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They spoke during the intermission that it appears contract talks with Matthews are heading towards a shorter term 5 year maybe 6 max as 8 years would be too cost prohibitive cap wise.

Will be interesting what the $$ figure for a 5 year deal, buying only 1 year of UFA status would come in at, in an attempt to keep the team together longer.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They spoke during the intermission that it appears contract talks with Matthews are heading towards a shorter term 5 year maybe 6 max as 8 years would be too cost prohibitive cap wise.

Will be interesting what the $$ figure for a 5 year deal, buying only 1 year of UFA status would come in at, in an attempt to keep the team together longer.

Is 10m x 6 years reasonable?

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
His goal looked the same as early in the season.

Difference is that shot is a lot closer than early in the season and early in the season it was more consistently hard. His shooting just isn't the same to me. I'm not saying he was going to sustain his shooting percentage or getting 60 goals this year but it's the same. Earlier in the season it was going on the goalie fast or hammering against the glass/boards. Looks consistently weaker in the last 2-3 weeks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be honest, I'd love to see Nylander get a run with JT. JT is an elite passer and great at playing that role. While Matthews is also a very strong passer, he loves to shoot and it is his best skill. Until last night, Nylander and Kadri rarely clicked, so I'm not as worried as I was, but I would like to see it. It would allow Nylander to play a more balanced offensive role than he has with Matthews, which may allow him to take the next step in his development. Although, I could also see why JT might not want Nylander as a line-mate and would prefer someone who works hard like Kapanen if he isn't going to play with Marner.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
To be honest, I'd love to see Nylander get a run with JT. JT is an elite passer and great at playing that role. While Matthews is also a very strong passer, he loves to shoot and it is his best skill. Until last night, Nylander and Kadri rarely clicked, so I'm not as worried as I was, but I would like to see it. It would allow Nylander to play a more balanced offensive role than he has with Matthews, which may allow him to take the next step in his development. Although, I could also see why JT might not want Nylander as a line-mate and would prefer someone who works hard like Kapanen if he isn't going to play with Marner.

Same thought popped in my head when I found out Marner was going to play with Matty.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares can run with Hyman and Kappy and he can drive that line no issues
Willy can drive line with Kadri as long as Marleau not short handing the line
Marner and Matty will be fine need another few games to get in sync but it would help if AJ inserted and Marleau put on 4th line

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The biggest lineup change prior to puck-drop was the pairing together of Auston Matthewsand Mitch Marner. Mike Babcock has rarely had the two stars play together outside of the shift following penalty kills, but given the Leafs had only scored ten goals in the previous four games while averaging just 24.5 shots on goal, it was obvious a spark was needed. The general rule Babcock adheres to makes sense in that the Leafs are a deeper team overall if Marner and Matthews are both driving separate lines successfully, but this is something Babcock should have in his back pocket and be willing to go to more often than he has.

Both are elite offensive players who won’t need much time together to figure it out, but there is a benefit to breeding this kind of familiarity for when the going gets tough offensively for the team down the stretch and into the playoffs, as it inevitably will. It could be this combination that comes through with a huge goal at a key time in a big playoff game for the team.
They didn’t make a ton of noise at 5-on-5, but there were early signs of chemistry shown between the two, and Matthews seemed to have more jump. He was in an eight-game goalless drought going in and clearly wanted this one badly on the power play

Game #49 Review: Toronto Maple Leafs 6 vs. Washington Capitals 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad