Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They will not walk away from him. He's a big part of their marketing plan. They have proven that the team will do anything to keep him. Even if it means destroying their chance to win anything meaningful.
It's slightly unrelated, but there's logic here - I think one of the big reasons why Dubas was turfed last summer, was because of how openly he flirted with the idea of trading off one of the core, and his higher ups (Shanahan included) understanding the importance of that core to their marketing efforts.

Oct 18, 2010
It's slightly unrelated, but there's logic here - I think one of the big reasons why Dubas was turfed last summer, was because of how openly he flirted with the idea of trading off one of the core, and his higher ups (Shanahan included) understanding the importance of that core to their marketing efforts.

Dubas got turfed because the contract he wanted would've made Shanahan redundant and expendable. Dubas is a terrible GM as shown by his entire career, and his work in destroying Pittsburgh shows us he would never move a "talented" player like one of the core players. Instead he would've re-signed everyone to even worse contracts than they ended up getting.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
He seems to have a bit of a smug, non-nonchalant attitude about him. He finally started to show some emotion this playoff series. But man, I feel he is closer to a Kessel than he is to a Crosby. Doesn't help that the current captain has the emotional capacity of a tree stump.

Not sure how Matthews was pre Leafs, but so far his lack of leadership and lack of performance in the playoffs leave me wanting more. Story of this core.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our Leafs are sold out of seat licenses with a 22,000 strong subscriber waiting list which means food/bev/parking are all sold out every night .. our sponsorship base gets 7% increases every year for past 9 years I have one of my companies sponsor team .. also it took me 7 years to get that sponsorship from another company in that field who pulled out (so it is very hard to even get a sponsorship unless you have a NEW industry) .. da media/internet/gaming contracts are all nhl negotiated .. so players really only impact merch revenues and i really wonder how much any 1 player can further merch revenue .. i mean sure a Gretz type could create an explosion but don't think Matty is anywhere near that level .. bottom line Leafs could dress 20 Vaive's and/or 20 McCann's and nothing much is changing to their revenues .. Dubie wanted more $$$$ and more power of player decisions and Leafs board/Shanny did not want to give it to him .. my guess is he only got brave because he probably got floated da idear of Pittsburgh and they probably through his agent gave him an idear of what they would give him .. this is speculation on my part but if i was a beeting man this is what i would wager occurred

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Our Leafs are sold out of seat licenses with a 22,000 strong subscriber waiting list which means food/bev/parking are all sold out every night .. our sponsorship base gets 7% increases every year for past 9 years I have one of my companies sponsor team .. also it took me 7 years to get that sponsorship from another company in that field who pulled out (so it is very hard to even get a sponsorship unless you have a NEW industry) .. da media/internet/gaming contracts are all nhl negotiated .. so players really only impact merch revenues and i really wonder how much any 1 player can further merch revenue .. i mean sure a Gretz type could create an explosion but don't think Matty is anywhere near that level .. bottom line Leafs could dress 20 Vaive's and/or 20 McCann's and nothing much is changing to their revenues .. Dubie wanted more $$$$ and more power of player decisions and Leafs board/Shanny did not want to give it to him .. my guess is he only got brave because he probably got floated da idear of Pittsburgh and they probably through his agent gave him an idear of what they would give him .. this is speculation on my part but if i was a beeting man this is what i would wager occurred

From where I sit, it seems pretty obvious he was tampered with.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I love your insights, man. I think you have 100% credibility. Others think it's an act, but I don't.

The NHLPA needs to be tougher as far as getting rid of the hard salary cap and pushing to include more "ineligible" revenue in the sharing model. In return they need to give the owners more flexibility in regards to player contracts like the NFL model.

Thoughts?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I have to honestly wonder what people watch with Matthews the way people talk about him. This year isn't even fair to judge him given he was very sick and concussed and still had 4 points in 5 game playing physical and elite defensively.

We had quotes like this before he got super sick

Jim Montgomery on Auston Matthews’ impact on the series: “I’ve been impressed by how tenacious he’s been on pucks and how relentless he’s been on the forecheck… He’s the most dangerous man on the ice because he’s earned it”​

So why do I read so many people pretending he does nothing? If there is one player I am not worried about it is Matthews. Hopefully we win the division and Matthews can light up a bottom feeder like some other stars have been doing.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
This kind of mentality is why the Leafs keep getting a pass for PATHETIC displays year in and year out in the playoffs. Dude scores nearly 70 goals in the regular season and then is pedestrian in the playoffs yet gets a pass because the team was bad for so long? Come on man.
Yawns, Peterson had a bad playoff so the Nucks should retain 50% of his contract and offer him for Hyman who had a good playoff.

The level on analysis on this site. This is where intelligent discourse goes to die.

Muh media narrative, let's all be slaves to them.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
From where I sit, it seems pretty obvious he was tampered with.
I didn't use that word because people in todays legal world we live in know how to use da friend calling on behalf of a friend with a hypothetical so nothing can be traced back .. but that was likely da reality

Reactions: myleafs

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
You going to offer an opinion on how we can finally have nice things? Or does this vapid blanket insult towards the rest of us posters represent the depth of your discernment (lol) regarding the Leafs and their fanbase?
I'm the one of the few Leafs fans that isn't throwing a tantrum against the president of the organization because that's insanely cringe and pathetic, no other fanbase in pro sports it this embarrassing.

And I'm not running a 100 point winger out of town just because he didn't win a playoff series all by himself.

I'm the one that is condescending to whenever I try to engage in discourse.

All you people do is say 'dderrrrr Fire Shanny' and 'Trade Mitch'

You cry babies will eventually be catered to and regret it when the dust settles. I just calling it, that's what sports fans do.

(lol) deeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I love your insights, man. I think you have 100% credibility. Others think it's an act, but I don't.

The NHLPA needs to be tougher as far as getting rid of the hard salary cap and pushing to include more "ineligible" revenue in the sharing model. In return they need to give the owners more flexibility in regards to player contracts like the NFL model.

Thoughts?
To me I would like to see free markets prevail on player wages but reality is Jacobs and gang of 10 will never agree as they don't want to be outbid on core players every year .. I can't see our Leafs/Rangers agreeing to include more revenues .. my sponsorships fees get paid to MLSE not Leafs as sponsorships are arena based not hockey based .. da biggest of us is Scotiabank .. these revenues do not got into HRR .. for a team like Leafs and Rangers this is HUGE $$$$$ outside of da sharing model .. MOST teams like Carolina have basically close to zero of these revenues so what you are talking about is taking away Leafs $$$$$ advantage over rest of league .. if this ever were to occur than Leafs would want to make TAX adjusters in da CPA affecting CAP hits .. these negotiations i am sure would be fierce between league and all its team owners .. forget about da players i don't think you would get agreement between da owners themselves

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
To me I would like to see free markets prevail on player wages but reality is Jacobs and gang of 10 will never agree as they don't want to be outbid on core players every year .. I can't see our Leafs/Rangers agreeing to include more revenues .. my sponsorships fees get paid to MLSE not Leafs as sponsorships are arena based not hockey based .. da biggest of us is Scotiabank .. these revenues do not got into HRR .. for a team like Leafs and Rangers this is HUGE $$$$$ outside of da sharing model .. MOST teams like Carolina have basically close to zero of these revenues so what you are talking about is taking away Leafs $$$$$ advantage over rest of league .. if this ever were to occur than Leafs would want to make TAX adjusters in da CPA affecting CAP hits .. these negotiations i am sure would be fierce between league and all its team owners .. forget about da players i don't think you would get agreement between da owners themselves
What about including guaranteed and non guaranteed money in player contracts without a rigid AAV structure?

Reactions: myleafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Dubas made a powerplay move knowing he had Pitts in his back pocket. We all watched it happen in real time. Shanny had no choice but to fire him.

Seems like a unsubstantiated rumor to say he got fired because he said I might have to reconsider things. He never said I think we may need to move on from one of our core 4, the way some people say it went down in here.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Thoughts?
have as many buyouts as you want and very little or nothing counts against the cap. Player gets paid and can find work elsewhere while the team gets out from under their mistake and can spend spend spend. Seems like a win win.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Yawns, Peterson had a bad playoff so the Nucks should retain 50% of his contract and offer him for Hyman who had a good playoff.

The level on analysis on this site. This is where intelligent discourse goes to die.

Muh media narrative, let's all be slaves to them.
context matters.....if we only had mitch and not the other 3 golden boys then that changes things

I'm the one of the few Leafs fans that isn't throwing a tantrum against the president of the organization because that's insanely cringe and pathetic, no other fanbase in pro sports it this embarrassing.

And I'm not running a 100 point winger out of town just because he didn't win a playoff series all by himself.

I'm the one that is condescending to whenever I try to engage in discourse.

All you people do is say 'dderrrrr Fire Shanny' and 'Trade Mitch'

You cry babies will eventually be catered to and regret it when the dust settles. I just calling it, that's what sports fans do.

(lol) deeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
he says condescendingly.....sorry...carry on

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I have to honestly wonder what people watch with Matthews the way people talk about him. This year isn't even fair to judge him given he was very sick and concussed and still had 4 points in 5 game playing physical and elite defensively.

We had quotes like this before he got super sick

So why do I read so many people pretending he does nothing? If there is one player I am not worried about it is Matthews. Hopefully we win the division and Matthews can light up a bottom feeder like some other stars have been doing.

You mean if we can play teams like Columbus and Montreal?

Didn't Florida last year barely make the playoffs being 8th seed?

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This thread is why we can't have nice things.

Fire Shanny and then magic will happen, trade Matthews and Marner for uuummmm....... like Jake Debrusk type guys, Berbube won a fluke cup one time with a bunch of jobbers and elite out of nowhere flash in the pan goaltending, superstars get in the way.

The grug brain masses that are Leafs Nation.

I'm going to say something radical, I appreciate that ht e Leafs have Auston Matthews setting franchise records. I think it's pretty cool and hope he spends his entire career with the Leafs.
No, ignoring what has been going on for 8 years is why we can’t have playoff success.
But I'm sure the 2nd GM, 3rd coach, raises for all core members and 15th round of depth players will make the difference.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Dubas was clearly fired for trying to short circuit the power structure and fold Shanahan’s reporting responsibilities to his own profile, therefore giving himself a potential new contract with new responsibilities (a promotion).

The concept of Dubas having the big brain to move one of the Big 4 doesn’t make sense when his deadline project was to somehow get Erik Karlsson, and his big move in Pittsburgh was to complete that deal. You also have to think that trading a Mitch Marner last year would involve another team looking to make a major shakeup. And outside of LA and Dubois, there wasn’t anything around the league to suggest a Team X was ready to go wild, or that they fell badly on a Plan B with Marner taken off the trade board.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dubas was clearly fired for trying to short circuit the power structure and fold Shanahan’s reporting responsibilities to his own profile, therefore giving himself a potential new contract with new responsibilities (a promotion).

The concept of Dubas having the big brain to move one of the Big 4 doesn’t make sense when his deadline project was to somehow get Erik Karlsson, and his big move in Pittsburgh was to complete that deal. You also have to think that trading a Mitch Marner last year would involve another team looking to make a major shakeup. And outside of LA and Dubois, there wasn’t anything around the league to suggest a Team X was ready to go wild, or that they fell badly on a Plan B with Marner taken off the trade board.
I'm sure there were multiple factors, but it really felt like the tide shifted after Dubas mentioned in his press conference the possibility of trading off the core.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that Marner only gets moved to a team looking for a major shakeup - for all his issues, he's still 90+ point winger who plays in all situations, is creative as hell, and in his prime. Plus, acquiring him last year would have meant to possible playoff runs for the acquiring team, and the potential to lock him in for another 8 years. That's a decade of him on your team.

Have to think that would have brought a few teams to the table with open interest, not just ones looking for a major shake up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad