Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Athletic article

He never said what game in that article.

This is what he said:

Given the highly secretive nature of how teams operate during the Stanley Cup playoffs, specific details about what is ailing Matthews are difficult to come by.

What is known is that the 26-year-old played through illness in Games 3 and 4 of the series before suffering an injury on an innocuous hit while playing sick, according to the sources. Team doctors removed Matthews from the lineup during the second intermission of Game 4 and he’s been unable to participate in a full team skate since.

While Matthews has taken to the ice each of the past three days — he went through a 30-minute session with members of the player development staff at Scotiabank Arena on Thursday morning — one of the sources said it would be “reckless” for him to try and play through whatever is hampering him.

In video shot by The Hockey News during Thursday’s session, Matthews can be seen performing drills where he tips pucks, cradles and releases passes and takes one-timers. He also skated much more than he did during a brief on-ice session at TD Garden before Game 5 on Tuesday morning.

It looked like progress.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Based off the Bennett-Knies chokeslam WWE moves are allowed in playoffs
Which is why the Leafs as an organization need to pull their heads out of their asses and retaliate in kind to these types of plays. If someone on the Leafs did that to Pasta, do we believe for half a second Marchand doesn't accidentally on purpose take a Leaf out? Leafs though will turn the other cheek and continue to get punked.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Wtf bullshit tackle was that?
Oh, that would be the McAvoy bodyslam right before Boston would score the tying goal. People were screaming about that one; how was that NOT a penalty?

Which is why the Leafs as an organization need to pull their heads out of their asses and retaliate in kind to these types of plays.
You mean give that cementhead George Parros an excuse to interfere? No thanks.

Reactions: Kazparov

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No.

They've said it waxes and wanes, comes and goes, and he's been dealing with it for a while (more like months and days or weeks).

When someone guess Mono ... that was a possibility.
That was when it was reported as only an illness. CJ has said since then he is also dealing with an injury on top of that which specifically happened in the last two games, they're not going to disclose that.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
Which is why the Leafs as an organization need to pull their heads out of their asses and retaliate in kind to these types of plays. If someone on the Leafs did that to Pasta, do we believe for half a second Marchand doesn't accidentally on purpose take a Leaf out? Leafs though will turn the other cheek and continue to get punked.
If a Leafs player does this, it ends up as a penalty and probably a suspension. We've seen this before.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
You mean give that cementhead George Parros an excuse to interfere? No thanks.

If a Leafs player does this, it ends up as a penalty and probably a suspension. We've seen this before.

The opposite, do it while making it seem innocuous. Everyone knows its intentional, but impossible to prove. They get the suspensions because they don't try to hide it, not because they take it.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If it's his knee I don't see how he's back this season, no matter how many rounds we make it.

So let's hope it's not.
Athletes play with some pretty nasty knee injuries. If one of the stability ligaments was torn i don't think he would be skating.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If it's his knee I don't see how he's back this season, no matter how many rounds we make it.

So let's hope it's not.

If it was a serious knee injury he wouldn't be skating every day - so I think it's fair to assume that it's not that serious. McMann also had a knee injury and just skated for the first time around 3 weeks after his injury. Matthews allegedly has been pushing himself harder every skate, which he wouldn't be doing with a serious knee injury that would keep him out of an entire playoffs.

That said, I don't expect him to play Game 7. Every other game with Nylander the Leafs were pretending he was a game-time decision even when they knew he was out. With Matthews today, Sheldon Keefe just abandoned the gamesmanship and said Matthews isn't playing right from the start. I think if he was close enough to play for Game 7 he would have been a game-time decision today.

Hoping for the best, but I'm not expecting him to play Game 7. But with that said, if the Leafs manage to win Game 7 - it gives him (at least) another week to recover. They just need to focus on the next game. Play like they've played the last 2 and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: mapleleafs34

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Kidney stone(s).

I heard a rumour and think it's the sort of thing that could make sense on this one.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I've never really seen where this knee injury stuff is coming from.

My biggest fear is that it's a concussion.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No.

They've said it waxes and wanes, comes and goes, and he's been dealing with it for a while (more like months and days or weeks).

When someone guess Mono ... that was a possibility.
I guessed that based on Timmins having Mono. Being around a locker room might predispose someone else getting for all I know. I think it might be his knee or ankle since he had that take down by Evil Baby face behind the net and then someone else when he was going for a puck in the corner in either the same game or next game.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think it might be his knee or ankle since he had that take down by Evil Baby face behind the net and then someone else when he was going for a puck in the corner in either the same game or next game.
But the reports (from my bad memory) were that it has been going on for a while, well into the regular season.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
But the reports (from my bad memory) were that it has been going on for a while, well into the regular season.
yea, the whole "ongoing illness" talk seems inconsistent with having him play down the stretch and the for the first couple of games.

He was as good as he ever is in Game 2 and needs to be pulled after 2 periods in Game 4, the illness just doesn't add up

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
yea, the whole "ongoing illness" talk seems inconsistent with having him play down the stretch and the for the first couple of games.
very true.

or if true, it looks bad on the Leafs' management team they let him play (only to be OUT in the playoffs).

Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad