Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I highly doubt it's just an illness at this point - it has to be much more serious if he's been pulled out of games and isn't able to skate despite the numerous days off we've had in the series lately.
We are just guessing, that is the issue
-Is it a cold/flu?
-Is it something similar like long covid/novovirus?
-Is what happened on the bench more than it is, and he 'took his ball and went home' and since he's the alpha dog on this team he is going to demand changes?
-Is it another injury that isn't being full disclosed?
-is it any combination of the above?

Some of those things above are unlikely, some are more likely. Maybe is something none of us are event thinkin about. The main issue is, the team isn't letting the fanbase know, and the more serious the issue is, the less likely they are going to let anyone know.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
-Is it a cold/flu?
-Is what happened on the bench more than it is, and he 'took his ball and went home' and since he's the alpha dog on this team he is going to demand changes?
Good list but there are even more possibilities.

Reactions: mjd1001

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
-Is it a cold/flu?

Some of those things above are unlikely, some are more likely. Maybe is something none of us are event thinkin about. The main issue is, the team isn't letting the fanbase know, and the more serious the issue is, the less likely they are going to let anyone know.
I've never (ever) got the sense or vibe that Matthews is this sort of person - he doesn't seem to be petty & selfish like that.

Him showing up for the skate, and then leaving shortly afterwards, basically confirms in my eyes that he's injured and they don't want word getting out.

Reactions: hoglund

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
If he was literally physically ill then that’s a perfectly rational reason for not coming back to the bench
The fans, though I hesitate to use that word, are increasingly ridiculous about everything. I get frustration, but even Bieksa said on the broadcast that everything he knows and has heard from people who know Matthews is that he battles and will do anything he can to play. Friedman confirmed that this is exactly what he hears when people talk about Matthews, as well.

If he's not in, he can't go. People don't want to believe that though, they want to drive the narrative bus at 100 MPH.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
NFL players have cut off body parts (infected fingers) in order to play in the playoffs. If Matthews doesn't play...

I don't know to say.
That's not really what happened with Ronnie Lott but your point remains the same

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rumors for the last couple days of a concussion....could be that too, but for the life of me I can't remember anything on the ice that would have caused it.

Maybe that BS McAvoy was pulling on that takedown.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If it is indeed the flu or some other nasty virus, I'll give Matthews a pass. Having come off a nasty flu myself that completely wiped me on my ass and I couldn't do anything, I couldn't even imagine trying to play and exert myself at the highest level of a professional sport. No matter how many meds, fluids, IVs and rest is taken.

I will say though, if the Leafs flake out tonight in a Game 5, between Matthews' illness (or whatever else it may be), Nylander's absence in the first three games, and the big brother fighting the other night on the bench, that would be a huge exclamation mark on this Core 3's tenure of playoff failure.

Reactions: CincoHolio

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
  • Haha
Reactions: sbpointer and Kanu

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Have they revealed his illness?
-Is it a cold/flu?

Good list but there are even more possibilities.

clearly its toxic shock. This whole core gets it. It coincides with their first playoff period every year.

Reactions: jkutswings

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If he was literally physically ill then that’s a perfectly rational reason for not coming back to the bench
Yes. I'm surprised so many people are on his case, I see zero reason to doubt him. Guy played the playoff game of his life in game 2, not sure why anyone would think he wasn't chomping at the bit to play the next one. He looked so dead out there, like he had zero energy and could barely skate.

Get well soon Auston, we need you!!
If it is indeed the flu or some other nasty virus, I'll give Matthews a pass. Having come off a nasty flu myself that completely wiped me on my ass and I couldn't do anything, I couldn't even imagine trying to play and exert myself at the highest level of a professional sport. No matter how many meds, fluids, IVs and rest is taken.

I will say though, if the Leafs flake out tonight in a Game 5, between Matthews' illness (or whatever else it may be), Nylander's absence in the first three games, and the big brother fighting the other night on the bench, that would be a huge exclamation mark on this Core 3's tenure of playoff failure.
Yeah Marner's injury as well. I mean I don't think that explains his sub par play but still, it's something. If this had happened 5 years ago I'd say they have their excuses built in but after 17 1st round exits in a row, it's hard for me as a fan to accept any excuse, no matter how valid it might be. It's like maybe they have an excuse for this time, but there's been so many other times already that you're just not allowed excuses any more.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The fans, though I hesitate to use that word, are increasingly ridiculous about everything. I get frustration, but even Bieksa said on the broadcast that everything he knows and has heard from people who know Matthews is that he battles and will do anything he can to play. Friedman confirmed that this is exactly what he hears when people talk about Matthews, as well.

If he's not in, he can't go. People don't want to believe that though, they want to drive the narrative bus at 100 MPH.

Honestly seems half of our fans are completely delusional when it comes to their opinions about Matthews

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Yeah Marner's injury as well. I mean I don't think that explains his sub par play but still, it's something. If this had happened 5 years ago I'd say they have their excuses built in but after 17 1st round exits in a row, it's hard for me as a fan to accept any excuse, no matter how valid it might be. It's like maybe they have an excuse for this time, but there's been so many other times already that you're just not allowed excuses any more.

It's a good point about Marner, I think from watching his skating that it's obvious the ankle is still affecting him. Guys play with injuries, so it's not an excuse, you can just tell that he's not 100% (I haven't heard him complain about that either. Whine about penalties like a petulant child, yes, his ankle, no).

Reactions: authentic

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Realistically no one know how Matthews feels except for Matthews. It’s fair to point out how other guys have battling through injury and illness but we don’t know how they’ve felt.

If he decided to tough it out and play, great. Top of the cap. But if he struggles because of it, it’s hard to pin it all on him.

Reactions: Menzinger

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Have they revealed his illness?
Just speculation but as to what Keefe said it’s a lingering issue and it gets worse when he’s out there and playing hard and it’s serious enough for him to not play… Myocarditis?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's a good point about Marner, I think from watching his skating that it's obvious the ankle is still affecting him. Guys play with injuries, so it's not an excuse, you can just tell that he's not 100% (I haven't heard him complain about that either. Whine about penalties like a petulant child, yes, his ankle, no).
Hard to tell, he's looked pretty agile in some moments to me but at the same time, he's probably not 100% either. But some of the mistakes he's made have been mental errors that have nothing to do with his ankle, just your basic everyday shambles of the brain. But whatever, that goal he scored was pretty, would be nice to see more stuff like that tonight, we'll see.

GLG!!

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad