Player Discussion Auston Matthews (Captain Edition)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Classic Leafs.

The good news is that it only goes up from here. I was (and still am) in favour of Matthews getting the C because either he will rise to the occasion, or he will fail and that will be the completely undeniable evidence that this team does not work and that it's time to reset. You cannot be the highest paid player in the league and be a mercenary who doesn't lead. Simply doesn't work, when you're the best player on a team everyone is looking at you to lead them, and if Matthews can't lead, it's over. You can have an elite mercenary when there's already a strong leadership group in the room, but we probably have the weakest leaders in the league.

Solid chance this thread ages badly, but if it doesn't, then the Matthews captaincy failure is truly the beginning of the end.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What is there to like?

Auston Matthews makes the most money in the NHL, trails Philip Broberg in the scoring race deep into October, the team looks rudderless this week vs CBJ and St. Louis after they won their Stanley Cup vs Tampa on Monday and was the worst player on the ice in the Blues game I'm sure we were all hoping they'd come out and win for the new coach.

This is coming off his highly disappointing and injury plagued series vs Boston with the state secret protected injury.

It's off to a terrible start.
Last year he got off to a ridiculous start and it carried all the way into his dismal playoff performance.

The spin doctor in me argues that the slow start will lead to him peaking at the right time and he will get red hot in the playoffs!!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Last year he got off to a ridiculous start and it carried all the way into his dismal playoff performance.

The spin doctor in me argues that the slow start will lead to him peaking at the right time and he will get red hot in the playoffs!!

Or he needs a massive kick in the ass and realize the gap between him and guys like Nathan Mackinnon and Leon Draisaitl has grown so, so much since 2021.

Reactions: Tobyboy and Jojalu

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
He was INVISIBLE tonight. Shame.

Nah, he wasn't invisible. He was noticeably bad and wasn't even trying to win the puck battles he usually dominates. AM34 needs to get his shit together and start acting like a captain.

captain - noun​

One who stands at the head of others and leads them, or exercises authority over them; a headman, chief, or leader.

Reactions: ORRFForever

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
this season definitely giving 2022-2023 vibes, right down to the preseason injury that's shrugged off but makes him noticeably worse than the previous season

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
this season definitely giving 2022-2023 vibes, right down to the preseason injury that's shrugged off but makes him noticeably worse than the previous season

Feels like it's been pretty rough sledding with Matthews ever since he scored goal 69 and fell on his backside on the 70th goal attempt vs Detroit.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Or he needs a massive kick in the ass and realize the gap between him and guys like Nathan Mackinnon and Leon Draisaitl has grown so, so much since 2021.
Except his peers gave him the Lindsay in 2022 and voted him as a finalist over McDavid last year.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
This core lead by Matthews is real weak, They have the potential to be real great but their weak heart is preventing them from being as great as they are capable of being. It is like they don't think they have to play hard to achieve that greatness. Great players like Wayne, Mario, Alex, Sidney they really hustle on the ice, work really hard at getting the puck and dictating the play and taking it to the net. They even will fight if need be. The leafs 4 they piss their pants if they even think they might have to drop the gloves.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Matthews played his best hockey between Domi and Bertuzzi (two tough guys)

Knies Matthews Domi
Or
Knies Matthews McMann

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Does anyone really care about Matthews standing in relation to the other top players in the league? For me, the only thing I care about is him leading the team to the cup. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't care about points records, goal records, awards.

At the end of the day, no cup, no glory imo; but no doubt he'll get his statue on Captains row with the rest of the non-winners.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does anyone really care about Matthews standing in relation to the other top players in the league? For me, the only thing I care about is him leading the team to the cup. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't care about points records, goal records, awards.

At the end of the day, no cup, no glory imo; but no doubt he'll get his statue on Captains row with the rest of the non-winners.

That’s a defeatist mentality. Why wouldn’t we want the best or close to the best when we pay him the most money? From where I stand it looks like catching up to the likes of Mackinnon and Draisaitl are about as remote as winning the actual Stanley Cup at this rate. Be better. AM34 wanted the most in negotiations. Why shouldn’t fans want the best out of him?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
such a boring argument.... Maroon > McDavid

Mackinnon and Matthews perform the same job on similar “contenders” and we spent all of 2022 hearing about how Toronto was superior to Colorado amongst others. Why can’t we get a Cup and a 140 point season out of Matthews if they’re on the same level?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How could you trade Matthews at this point? Kinda stuck with him

most teams trying to win don't trade their best player so that's not really an option they should consider, I'm fine being "stuck" with him while still doomposting after a bad start to the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad