Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He will do it if he plays enough games

this forum hating on this man too long

the leafs bias **** is real

If this man played in Carolina or Nashville he would be universally regarded on here as the second or third most lethal goal scorer we've seen since post 04/05 lockout

1. Ovie
2. Stamkos pre leg break
3. Matthews

and Matthews imo will leapfrog Stammer

to hell with the hf leafs hatred.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

If this man played in Carolina or Nashville he would be universally regarded on here as the second or third most lethal goal scorer we've seen since post 04/05 lockout

1. Ovie
2. Stamkos pre leg break
3. Matthews

I see most saying he has a crack at it. The victim complex is definitely real.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I hate the Leafs with a passion but I find it a safe bet to say he can hit 60. The only thing would be him remaining healthy for 82 games. In my eyes he's already a 50G man.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

1. Ovie
2. Stamkos pre leg break
3. Matthews

Nearly everyone does regard him as that level of goal scorer? Who else would be ahead of him? Lots are saying he’s the best in the world now, they’re just not saying that 60 is easy and 50 is not a guarantee no matter what.

Reactions: Garthinater

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
40 goals wow good thing he has Marner then to really elevate his game.
Find me the last player in his D+1 season to finish top 3 in goals? Good luck with that (I believe it hasn't been done since the 80's and it was a top 4 player of all time) 40 goals were tied for the 2nd most in the league with Kucherov behind a league-leading 44 from Crosby. But, yeah, he'd have stagnated from a top 3 goal scorer in the league without Marner. I guess Ovi topped out as a 50 goal guy before he started playing with Backstrom by this logic.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Find me the last player in his D+1 season to finish top 3 in goals? Good luck with that (I believe it hasn't been done since the 80's and it was a top 4 player of all time) 40 goals were tied for the 2nd most in the league with Kucherov behind a league-leading 44 from Crosby. But, yeah, he'd have stagnated from a top 3 goal scorer in the league without Marner. I guess Ovi topped out as a 50 goal guy before he started playing with Backstrom by this logic.
Ovechkin?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ovechkin?
Didn't play in his D+1 season. Lockout. Finished tied for 3rd as a rookie with Kovalchuk, behind Jagr and Cheechoo. Is it possible he did it if that season wasn't locked out, possibly, but I wouldn't say likely.

I also messed up, the last D+1 rookie to score 40 was Lemieux I believe (Crosby missed by 1 goal). Not sure who the last one to finish top 3 in goals is.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Didn't play in his D+1 season. Lockout. Finished tied for 3rd as a rookie with Kovalchuk, behind Jagr and Cheechoo. Is it possible he did it if that season wasn't locked out, possibly, but I wouldn't say likely.

I also messed up, the last D+1 rookie to score 40 was Lemieux I believe (Crosby missed by 1 goal). Not sure who the last one to finish top 3 in goals is.
Fair enough, however the previous season the leader had 41 so I’d say it’s fairly likely. Especially if you’re in here debating the likelihood of Matthews hitting 60 near. Again I’ll repeat that not a single person in here has said he’s not amazing, most have said he’s the best goal scorer, nearly all have said he should get 50 if healthy, and many have said he for sure has the talent to get 60 just needs things to go right (health, full season etc). So I’m not sure what someone you die hard fans are really debating at this point?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough, however the previous season the leader had 41 so I’d say it’s fairly likely. Especially if you’re in here debating the likelihood of Matthews hitting 60 near. Again I’ll repeat that not a single person in here has said he’s not amazing, most have said he’s the best goal scorer, nearly all have said he should get 50 if healthy, and many have said he for sure has the talent to get 60 just needs things to go right (health, full season etc). So I’m not sure what someone you die hard fans are really debating at this point?
I was arguing with someone who said he's a product of Marner. Then, that person said "wow, 40 goals" sarcastically, ignoring it was 2nd in the league in goals or the rarity of a player just out of the draft scoring 40. Where he didn't play any regular shifts with Marner at 5v5 or the PP (and had reduced PP usage compared to top players due to Leafs rolling 2 equal PPs).

I donno how old you are, but 2003-04 and 2005-06 had dramatic rule changes that increased scoring. We know Ovi finished tied for 3rd as a D+2 rookie, would he have finished top 3 the year prior is really up for debate. Look at the jumps for a bunch of the top guys between 2003-04 and 2005-06

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I was arguing with someone who said he's a product of Marner. Then, that person said "wow, 40 goals" sarcastically, ignoring it was 2nd in the league in goals or the rarity of a player just out of the draft scoring 40. Where he didn't play any regular shifts with Marner at 5v5 or the PP (and had reduced PP usage compared to top players due to Leafs rolling 2 equal PPs).

I donno how old you are, but 2003-04 and 2005-06 had dramatic rule changes that increased scoring. We know Ovi finished tied for 3rd as a D+2 rookie, would he have finished top 3 the year prior is really up for debate. Look at the jumps for a bunch of the top guys between 2003-04 and 2005-06
[MOD] I’d fathom I’m older than you. I remember both those seasons well. And yes Matthews is fantastic even without Marner, but let’s not act like playing with Marner doesn’t help. No player is scoring 60 and rarely even 50 now a days without another really high end player on their line

Last edited by a moderator:

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
That is nonsense. It is very easy to make a claim about an 82 game pace because we can look at per 82 game segments, and Matthews has scored 50 goals per 82 games before when combining games played across multiple seasons; heck he has a 49 goals per 82 game pace for his entire career. Ignoring this is just willful ignorance.
You can make all the claims you want about what a player MIGHT do. Claim away.

The issue is that it's also a legit claim to say he wouldn't do such and such a thing because of injury.

A claim is a claim, nothing more. Extrapolate all you want but you also have to admit that it's also not a foregone conclusion that said objective would have been met.

"Well he basically scored 50 goals and he would have if blah blah blah."

He didn't and that's the end of the story.

Until he does(which he likely will).

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Maybe it's because you are confused. First off you're not a lock to score 50 even after you've done it once or several times.

But there is an expectation that 50 is an easily attainable goal for Matthews given what he has accomplished over the past 2 season.

That's what you're failing to understand even with your twisted logic of using absolutes without context in future projections, which imo, has shown to be amateurish. It's like using +/- to assess defensive ability.
I've said multiple times that I think he will score 50. At the end of the day he hasn't and no amount of extrapolation changes that.

In these scenarios it's always assumed that he would have, but injury is never factored into these scenarios.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I hope I’m wrong because you never want to see someone’s career derailed by injury but I don’t think JT will be the same when he can come back. Makes this a lot harder for Matthews to ever hit 60 since he’ll be getting top defensive assignments every game now.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I hope I’m wrong because you never want to see someone’s career derailed by injury but I don’t think JT will be the same when he can come back. Makes this a lot harder for Matthews to ever hit 60 since he’ll be getting top defensive assignments every game now.
I don’t know, I think Matthews was already drawing those matchups. I’m sure teams considered how to handle JT, but the Matthews line was the main priority

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

1. Ovie
2. Stamkos pre leg break
3. Matthews

Fairly certain ~90+% of the posters here view matthews as a top 3 goal scorer since the lock out.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
While yes technically Matthews hasn't hit 50 goals yet in a single season, it feels pretty dishonest to act like 50 goals is still some mark he still needs to prove he can hit. Consecutive years with 47 in 70 and 41 in 51 make the discussion around whether he's likely to score 50 in a full season a pretty boring one.

When Matthews plays an 80+ game season he will likely have his 50-60 goal season. How many 80+ seasons he is able to play injury free will likely determine the number of 50-60 goal seasons he will have in his career. The guy almost always misses games with injuries. It's part of his game and the way he plays that he's vulnerable to certain types of injuries. That's not a knock on him. I think it's amazing he's not hurt more. At the end of the day he has not scored 50 in a season yet, albeit very close. Until he does it doesn't count. Extrapolation is just that, extrapolation. While there is some validity in that one must always apply norms to the extrapolation to get something that's reasonably accurate. I don't think anyone, even myself as a Jets fan who can't stand the Leafs, appreciates and acknowledges the talent that Matthews brings to the game. The problem is that one side is tempered in their analysis while the other exaggerates their version.

Reactions: Dache

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad