OT: Attack on Paris - MOD ALERT NO POLITICS - NO RELIGION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Religion is part of it. To say otherwise is naive. Anyone who has spent time in the ME will tell you that. Nobody is saying it's THE problem, but it is clearly part of it.

MOD ALERT

Obviously there is a religious element to the equation but let's focus more on the cultural differences which can be influenced by religion but there are many other factors.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Religion is part of it. To say otherwise is naive. Anyone who has spent time in the ME will tell you that. Nobody is saying it's THE problem, but it is clearly part of it.

Contented, happy people don't go on rampages and kill innocent people, no matter their religion. If religion did not exist, the root problems would still remain.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
this was a desperate act and should hinder recruitment a tad- they better hope they can hide well

this isn't about religion to these knuckleheads this is about poverty and no hope

ISIS has managed to pretty much get every country to actually find something they can agree on

I disagree. This is about an attempted takeover and forced assimilation throughout the world. They have shown over and over convert to their way, or die. This will not end until every country not in their pocket stands together and says No More.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
this was a desperate act and should hinder recruitment a tad- they better hope they can hide well

this isn't about religion to these knuckleheads this is about poverty and no hope

ISIS has managed to pretty much get every country to actually find something they can agree on

There apparently is an upside to this tragedy. EVERYONE is now sufficiently pissed at ISIS to actually work together on this. Russia, China, even Iran. I know if that coalition is successful then it will be everyone back to their corners, so I don't expect a worldwide, lasting Kumbaya moment. But it will be a beautiful thing to see F-15s and Su-27s working together for a change.

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
MOD ALERT

Obviously there is a religious element to the equation but let's focus more on the cultural differences which can be influenced by religion but there are many other factors.

Impossible to discuss ISIS without discussing their religious extremism so I'm done with this thread. Thoughts go out to the victims.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sorry, but it's not really about faith. It's about power. "Faith" throughout history has been a convenient cover-up, used by Crusaders, conquistadors, kings, czars, and now terrorists.

Innocent people have been massacred for no good reason in every age of recorded history, and much of it is blamed on religion. So what if religion didn't exist? It would still happen. They'd just find some other label.

They have found other labels. Hitler used nationalism. Stalin used devotion to the state. Mao used anti-intellectualism. Japan used race. Religion just happens to be what this particular band of monsters use to consolidate their power and recruit their fanatics.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
There apparently is an upside to this tragedy. EVERYONE is now sufficiently pissed at ISIS to actually work together on this. Russia, China, even Iran. I know if that coalition is successful then it will be everyone back to their corners, so I don't expect a worldwide, lasting Kumbaya moment. But it will be a beautiful thing to see F-15s and Su-27s working together for a change.

ISIS is present in Afghanistan and competing with Taliban for recruits. Can't bomb Afghanistan back to stone age, already there. Hungary got it right from the very start, build fence, guard fence, don't allow uninvited guests to enter, and it worked for Hungary. Parisians will hold a giant march, and they will light candles, and chant, but no ultra security change until French nationalist Marine Le Pen is elected president, and she will deport any and all radical individual/group. The current French president is not up for the task at hand, and neither is the German chancellor.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Word is coming out now that it could have been much, much worse in Paris last night.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tried-to-enter-paris-stadium-but-was-turned-away-1447520571

PARIS—At least one of the attackers outside France’s national soccer stadium had a ticket to the game and attempted to enter the 80,000-person venue, according to a Stade de France security guard who was on duty and French police.

The guard—who asked to be identified only by his first name, Zouheir—said the attacker was discovered wearing an explosives vest when he was frisked at the entrance to the stadium about 15 minutes into the game. France was playing an exhibition against Germany inside.

While attempting to back away from security, Zouheir said, the attacker detonated the vest, which was loaded with explosives and bolts, according to Paris prosecutor François Molins. Zouheir, who was stationed by the players’ tunnel, said he was briefed on the sequence by the security frisking team at the gate.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Unfortunately not one country has the balls to do what needs to be done. I will say no more.

Fixing the Middle East will take war after war after war. Probably another 50 or 100 years. It can't be solved with the press of a button. Amongst the radicals live regular people like you and I

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Fixing the Middle East will take war after war after war. Probably another 50 or 100 years. It can't be solved with the press of a button. Amongst the radicals live regular people like you and I

It will never be fixed. Biblical.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

So true, this is just the beginning

In the end the only possible solution is for the vast majority of the Muslim world to rise up against these terrorists that are hiding behind religion. The Taliban is disgusted with ISIS which speaks volumes.

ISIS is perhaps the most evil group we have seen on the planet since the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
In the end the only possible solution is for the vast majority of the Muslim world to rise up against these terrorists that are hiding behind religion. The Taliban is disgusted with ISIS which speaks volumes.

ISIS is perhaps the most evil group we have seen on the planet since the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

Even with the inevitable end of ISIS,we still have the Taliban,Al Queda,Hezbollah and plenty of other evil in the ME. President claims we've killed 25000 ISIS fighters and the ranks grew.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

People who have a job, a safe place to live, whose kids are in school, and who have access to health care are really unlikely to blow each other up. That's what will fix it.

It will take a lifetime, but it can happen.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TD Garden tonight

12241656_10207259051487289_4345983534552803541_n.jpg

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
People who have a job, a safe place to live, whose kids are in school, and who have access to health care are really unlikely to blow each other up. That's what will fix it.

It will take a lifetime, but it can happen.

The pilot hijackers on 9/11 were college educated, upper middle class men. Bin Laden was a billionaire. I'm afraid the dynamics of the situation are not so simple as to be solved by economics or more social programs. It is far more complicated than that, and to simplify it down to merely a case of class warfare is a grave disservice to the fallen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad