Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing Boston won't have going for them this year that they've had for the last 3 years is they won't have the two headed goalie monster in net anymore.

They'll have just half of that two headed goalie monster, then they'll have the worst goalie in the league to play whatever Swayman doesn't play. Unless you think Boston is gonna make Korpisalo good. I could see him improving there, but not to the numbers Ullmark had in two of the last three years (The Vezina season being the one I'm not including) unless it's a one year thing. He just had an up year two seasons ago, but I don't think he's due for another.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Boston is gonna be fine with Swayman in the starter's net and has improved the team outside of that. We're in for another year of people claiming Buffalo and Detroit or whoever are gonna leapfrog the Atlantic, and then it's Just Boston/Florida/Toronto/Tampa at the top again.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
One thing Boston won't have going for them this year that they've had for the last 3 years is they won't have the two headed goalie monster in net anymore.

They'll have just half of that two headed goalie monster, then they'll have the worst goalie in the league to play whatever Swayman doesn't play. Unless you think Boston is gonna make Korpisalo good. I could see him improving there, but not to the numbers Ullmark had in two of the last three years (The Vezina season being the one I'm not including) unless it's a one year thing. He just had an up year two seasons ago, but I don't think he's due for another.
They added two good players though. Bruins likely strong this year. As much as I hate them.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They added two good players though. Bruins likely strong this year. As much as I hate them.
I didn’t say they’re gonna be bad, just that I think they lose the huge advantage of two really good goalies. Now they have just one and a really bad one signed for 4 more years at $3 million or something?

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I didn’t say they’re gonna be bad, just that I think they lose the huge advantage of two really good goalies. Now they have just one and a really bad one signed for 4 more years at $3 million or something?
Korpisalo behind that defense should be solid though.

Reactions: Trizz617

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
And two of the best Goalie prospects, if Korpi doesn't work they have options.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Korpisalo behind that defense should be solid though.
I don't know about that.

Look at his career. He's had 2 good seasons in is it 8 or 9 years in the league now? The first one was his rookie year all the way back in 2015-2016. And the other was just two years ago, and it got him that stupid contract. His 19-20 wasn't bad. Every other year ranged from just kind of bad to really bad.

And outside of his rookie year when he outplayed Bobrovsky, and 22-23 when he had that up year that got him that stupid contract, he was the inferior goalie on his team the rest of the years. Elvis and Bob both mightily outplayed him every year behind the same team, other than 15-16 and 22-23.

Some goalies aren't gonna be good on a certain team just because other goalies have played well or better there. But goalies have up years, like his 22-23.

I would say maybe he'll be not the worst goalie in the NHL behind team. I don't know if I'd say he'll be solid behind that team though. I think he could have a good season there at some point, but it will mostly be mediocre to possibly worse.

And two of the best Goalie prospects, if Korpi doesn't work they have options.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better goalie in the organization already (not including Swayman) than Korpisalo.

The problem is what do you do with that many more years of that contract? I would not at all be shocked to see one of the Providence goalies already being better than Korpisalo right now.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Acquiring an actual top line center.

You’re a Panthers fan, you saw first hand how bad the Bruins were at face offs. Coyle and Zacha were just not cut out for being anything beyond a rotatable 2/3 C.

Plus the team is now bigger and tougher.

The 2 real question marks are on Korpisalo and replacing Debrusk’s output.

I’m not worried about replacing DeBrusk’s output, that’s already done.

Lindholm replaces Zacha at C.
Zacha replaces DeBrusk at W.

Whether you like the cap hit now or later, it can’t be argued that Zadorov isn’t a big upgrade on Wotherspoon. And a full season or Lorhei better than the Gryz/Forbort duo. The D will be better.

But TBD on Heinen and JVR to Poitras and Lysell/Brazeau. JVR was cooked by the end of the season, but those points early in the season were great. Heinen had one of his really good years.

And TBD on how what replacing Ullmark’s 40 games with 10 from Swayman and 30 from Korpisalo does.

Certainly a chance it all breaks with the Bruins having a worse regular season record, but being a better team by end of year and playoffs. Or Poitras and Lysell hit the ground running and Korpisalo is Bob Essensa’d and the Bruins win the division.

It’s a playoff team no doubt, though.

Reactions: weaponomega

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There's a lot of hope going around the fanbase because of 'natural progression' without taking into account that this can also apply to other teams.

I agree with you - the Habs have some really nice young players but if the roster today is what they're starting with I too struggle to see them as anything but last in the division.

I dont think many people will argue otherwise about the divisional projection.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It is time for the most entertaining thread of the offseason.

Is this the year the Sabres/Senators/Habs make a leap?

Is progression linnear for the Red Wings?

Will the Bruins/Lightning finally fall off?

What kind of cup hangover will the Panthers have?

Will the Core 4 stay in tact through the season?

Get your hot takes in now. Let's see if we can make it the entire offseason without getting this thread locked/deleted.

My predictions.

1. Leafs
2. Bruins
3. Panthers
4. Tampa (WC)

5. Red Wings
6. Sabres
7. Senators
8. Habs
I think it ends up the same as last year. Slight chance at Detrmount ending higher in the standings than Tampa IF they can acquire a top 4 D

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
UPL posted .910 in 54 games last year goaltending was not the problem for Buffalo. I fail to see Montreal making a leap over pretty much anyone without injuries.
Yet it was arguably key injuries that kept Mtl from being on par if not ahead of Buffal last season.

Mtl (28th) finished closer to Buffalo (22nd) than it did CBJ (29th). Lost #2C in game 2 & once again was near the top of the league in injury games lost.

But you're right, UPL was not the problem last year & if he maintains or improves on last year, goaltending will be more of a strength than weakness for the Sabres next season.

It will be interesting to see how the Atlantic goes this year. The bottom 4 seem much more in flux than the top 4....and there's inevitably a surprise riser & faller

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dude it’s wild.. the Atlantic has been so bad for so many year. Half the teams lottery teams. One elite florida team, a soft leafs team with 2-3 NHL quality dmen and then an overachieving aging bruins team
Is this meant to be ironic?

3 of past 5 winners are from the Atlantic, and, 3 of the past 5 runner ups, also currently in the Atlantic.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Boston is gonna be fine with Swayman in the starter's net and has improved the team outside of that. We're in for another year of people claiming Buffalo and Detroit or whoever are gonna leapfrog the Atlantic, and then it's Just Boston/Florida/Toronto/Tampa at the top again.

What happens if Swayman pulls his groin?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I don't know about that.

Look at his career. He's had 2 good seasons in is it 8 or 9 years in the league now? The first one was his rookie year all the way back in 2015-2016. And the other was just two years ago, and it got him that stupid contract. His 19-20 wasn't bad. Every other year ranged from just kind of bad to really bad.

And outside of his rookie year when he outplayed Bobrovsky, and 22-23 when he had that up year that got him that stupid contract, he was the inferior goalie on his team the rest of the years. Elvis and Bob both mightily outplayed him every year behind the same team, other than 15-16 and 22-23.

Some goalies aren't gonna be good on a certain team just because other goalies have played well or better there. But goalies have up years, like his 22-23.

I would say maybe he'll be not the worst goalie in the NHL behind team. I don't know if I'd say he'll be solid behind that team though. I think he could have a good season there at some point, but it will mostly be mediocre to possibly worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better goalie in the organization already (not including Swayman) than Korpisalo.

The problem is what do you do with that many more years of that contract? I would not at all be shocked to see one of the Providence goalies already being better than Korpisalo right now.

Either A) korpi has big bounce back season (our goalie coach in very involved in goalie trades and likely gave Sweeney the green light on Korpi). He's also a magician at getting the best out of a goalie.

Or B) his numbers will likely increase at minimum to 0.905-0.910% which they could easily flip him for a 6th or 7th round pick and if needed retain 500k salary. Moving a 2.5m backup shouldn't be too hard at the deadline to a desperate team, Goalie injuries happen all the time.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Tampa is a very good franchise that always ends sunny side up.

They'll be WC at worst. Might even overacheive and push for division title. I don't think they fall off.

Florida might slip in the playoffs but they are a juggernaut and will cursh regular season. Bruins and Leafs 2-3 again.

The rest suck and no movement.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Either A) korpi has big bounce back season (our goalie coach in very involved in goalie trades and likely gave Sweeney the green light on Korpi). He's also a magician at getting the best out of a goalie.

Or B) his numbers will likely increase at minimum to 0.905-0.910% which they could easily flip him for a 6th or 7th round pick and if needed retain 500k salary. Moving a 2.5m backup shouldn't be too hard at the deadline to a desperate team, Goalie injuries happen all the time.
I agree with you that Bob Essensa is one of the best goalie coaches in the league. Only Benoit Allaire might be better.

But I wouldn't call it a ''Bounce back'' for Korpisalo. A bounce back is what happens when a player comes off a bad season and turns it around back to their career norms or better. The career norms for Korpisalo are pretty frickin lousy.

Him having a good 22-23 season is likely the only reason he's still surviving in the league at all.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I agree with you that Bob Essensa is one of the best goalie coaches in the league. Only Benoit Allaire might be better.

But I wouldn't call it a ''Bounce back'' for Korpisalo. A bounce back is what happens when a player comes off a bad season and turns it around back to their career norms or better. The career norms for Korpisalo are pretty frickin lousy.

Him having a good 22-23 season is likely the only reason he's still surviving in the league at all.

If Korpisalo struggles the Bruins won't hesitate to use Brandon Bussi. He is more then ready to backup Swayman, I still don't like the acquisition of Korpisalo and his cap hit as Bussi had been groomed for a couple of year to replace Ullmark.

Reactions: Bleedred

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No Habs fan give a crap about the Sens winning a bunch of meaningless games against us. I hate the Sens way more than the average Hab fan and even I couldn't care less.

IMG_0490.gif

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Dude it’s wild.. the Atlantic has been so bad for so many year. Half the teams lottery teams. One elite florida team, a soft leafs team with 2-3 NHL quality dmen and then an overachieving aging bruins team

The same Atlantic with the following players:

Kucherov
Stamkos
Vasilevsky
Swayman
Marchand
Pastranak
Mathews
Tavares
Marner
Larkin
Thachuk
Barkov
Reinhart
Bobrovsky

What division in the NHL has a better collection of talent?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yet it was arguably key injuries that kept Mtl from being on par if not ahead of Buffal last season.

Mtl (28th) finished closer to Buffalo (22nd) than it did CBJ (29th). Lost #2C in game 2 & once again was near the top of the league in injury games lost.

But you're right, UPL was not the problem last year & if he maintains or improves on last year, goaltending will be more of a strength than weakness for the Sabres next season.

It will be interesting to see how the Atlantic goes this year. The bottom 4 seem much more in flux than the top 4....and there's inevitably a surprise riser & faller
The Sabres were missing Quinn for most of the season and he was a big part in why they were playing much better in the 2nd half of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad