Dreger: Atkinson isn’t keen on a move to the Sharks

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think there’s some misunderstanding on his NTC by some.

NTCs are updated yearly. It would be pretty rare (these days) to have a one-time date written into a long term contract.. but standard to give a date, if his NTC starts in the future, as his did.

I think where people are getting confused, is that his NTC didn’t take effect until 2 years into his contract, and that’s why that June 2020 date was reported. That would’ve been his first year of having trade protection. Good bet, like everyone else, he updates that once a year before the draft, or before July 1. That’s common. In fact, I don’t know of anyone who has a 1-Time NTC anymore. We did see it years ago, but that would be like 25 years ago.

Maybe someone can clear that up without just assuming because your buddy says, or some misinformed fake beat writer said it. I just asked a couple of people who should know, if they’ve seen it recently, and they both laughed it off, saying it’s standard. That there’s only NTC and NMC and the things that are modified, are things like the amount of teams, NOT how an NTC works procedure wise. They don’t know if it can’t be done technically, but haven’t seen it in years either.

It would be super rare to only be able to submit an NTC once during a long-term contract, but like I said, very common that the first date it would go into effect, is reported. Hence why we see the June 2020 date.

It’s probably fair to assume his new NTC is due June 15th, and his current NTC, is the one he submitted in June of 2023. It’s more so Philly and San Jose trying to convince him to go to SJ, even though they are on his current NTC.

Reactions: themelkman

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Think there’s some misunderstanding on his NTC by some.

NTCs are updated yearly. It would be pretty rare (these days) to have a one-time date written into a long term contract.. but standard to give a date, if his NTC starts in the future, as his did.

I think where people are getting confused, is that his NTC didn’t take effect until 2 years into his contract, and that’s why that June 2020 date was reported. That would’ve been his first year of having trade protection. Good bet, like everyone else, he updates that once a year before the draft, or before July 1. That’s common. In fact, I don’t know of anyone who has a 1-Time NTC anymore. We did see it years ago, but that would be like 25 years ago.

Maybe someone can clear that up without just assuming because your buddy says, or some misinformed fake beat writer said it. I just asked a couple of people who should know, if they’ve seen it recently, and they both laughed it off, saying it’s standard. That there’s only NTC and NMC and the things that are modified, are things like the amount of teams, NOT how an NTC works procedure wise. They don’t know if it can’t be done technically, but haven’t seen it in years either.

It would be super rare to only be able to submit an NTC once during a long-term contract, but like I said, very common that the first date it would go into effect, is reported. Hence why we see the June 2020 date.

It’s probably fair to assume his new NTC is due June 15th, and his current NTC, is the one he submitted in June of 2023. It’s more so Philly and San Jose trying to convince him to go to SJ, even though they are on his current NTC.
CapFriendly pretty clearly states he has a one time set no trade list. Usually they have details on how each players trade protection works.

"CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a 10 team no-trade list (from June 15, 2020 until contract expiry)"

Usually CapFriendly is vague about things like this, because they don't have the exact details, but for Atkinson it is very specific. I wouldn't be shocked if it were wrong, but that is the best information we have.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
CapFriendly pretty clearly states he has a one time set no trade list. Usually they have details on how each players trade protection works.

"CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a 10 team no-trade list (from June 15, 2020 until contract expiry)"

Usually CapFriendly is vague about things like this, because they don't have the exact details, but for Atkinson it is very specific. I wouldn't be shocked if it were wrong, but that is the best information we have.

Thing is, that could mean one of two things, as written: a) Atkinson submits a 10-team NTL, and that one list is effective from 6/15/20 until his contract expires, or b) Atkinson submits a 10-team NTL, following all other standard rules of an NTC. This clause becomes effective on 6/15/20, and exists until his contract expires.

It's entirely plausible that what they're specifying is only the date at which the clause becomes effective, not the full and complete structure of said clause, because they normally don't get that level of detail, as you pointed out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't seen it mentioned yet but Cam Atkinson is probably not keen on moving that far geographically. His roots are on the east coast and if I remember correctly he still has a home in Columbus. He's got young kids at home.

I don't think team quality is as big of a priority.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Well of course he not It's the Sharks, they suck and they are going to for a long, LONG time
4 months is a long time.

The Sharks are closer to having a Cup caliber team right now than the Leafs will ever be.

As for Atkinson, I hope the Sharks pass on him. He's old and I honestly thought he retired already. There are better options out there for what he brings.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
4 months is a long time.

The Sharks are closer to having a Cup caliber team right now than the Leafs will ever be.

As for Atkinson, I hope the Sharks pass on him. He's old and I honestly thought he retired already. There are better options out there for what he brings.

No they aren't there is arguably is no team further away than SJ.

Even Chicago who is awful is still closer to a cup than SJ because of Bedard.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
No they aren't there is arguably is no team further away than SJ.

Even Chicago who is awful is still closer to a cup than SJ because of Bedard.

You have more than half your cap space tied up in 4 players and haven't won a cup in 57 years, and the general consensus is your window of contention is on the verge of slamming shut. Literally one more first round exit away from a fire sale. Your prospect pool is nonexistent and once said window is closed it might be another 57 years before you're even a bubble team again.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You have more than half your cap space tied up in 4 players and haven't won a cup in 57 years, and the general consensus is your window of contention is on the verge of slamming shut. Literally one more first round exit away from a fire sale. Your prospect pool is nonexistent and once said window is closed it might be another 57 years before you're even a bubble team again.

I think you have confused general consensus with your personal hopes and dreams.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
it might be another 57 years before you're even a bubble team again.
Lmao it could be another 57 years before the Sharks are too. We have picks and prospects, legit no proven players. We can't chirp anyone.

Gotta know your place...especially when you come dead last.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Cam Atkinson and his diminished playing skills should be grateful to any team that wishes to acquire him. I am glad that the Flyers are actively trying to move him, and I hope to see him leave a.s.a.p., he adds nothing to the current Flyers franchise other than being a horrible salary cap issue. I wish they could also get rid of Ellis.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
True thanks

Well in that case if the flyers deal him to the sharks he better pack his bags

Is he a bounce back candidate at 1M if bought out?

A 4th line offensive spark plug who can give 30 pts in low usage role?

Several teams could be interested at that type of role and contract if he gets bought out.

Id like him on the leafs under that scenerio with understanding he wont play everygame and could lose his spot at any pt in the playoffs
I’d be shocked if he had a bounce back season at this point. He was very good when we added him but after missing a whole year he doesn’t have it anymore. A small player that lost his best asset, his wheels.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I don't think this is a wise move by Atkinson. If he goes to SJ with some retention he's be a good deadline pickup at max retention for a contender (assuming he can pick up his game a bit.) 15% to SJ and then 50% at the deadline gives him a $2.5M cap hit and an expiring contract.

Probably his best shot at going on a playoff run.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't think this is a wise move by Atkinson. If he goes to SJ with some retention he's be a good deadline pickup at max retention for a contender (assuming he can pick up his game a bit.) 15% to SJ and then 50% at the deadline gives him a $2.5M cap hit and an expiring contract.

It's important to stop and realize most players do not think of themselves in Franchise Mode terms, on account of being, well, human beings.

As someone mentioned a bit further up the page, Cam's primary thoughts at this point in his life and career are probably about his family. He's from New England and has lived in either Ohio or Pennsylvania for the last 14 years. There's a good chance he doesn't want to move 3,000 miles, with 3 young children, for the last year of his contract—in hopes that 5 months later he can get blasted off to some different place where he might play some playoff games.

He gets his money no matter what. He knows he is almost certainly not going to be a contributor on a Stanley Cup champion 12 months from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobnobs and SnS

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
It's important to stop and realize most players do not think of themselves in Franchise Mode terms, on account of being, well, human beings.

As someone mentioned a bit further up the page, Cam's primary thoughts at this point in his life and career are probably about his family. He's from New England and has lived in either Ohio or Pennsylvania for the last 14 years. There's a good chance he doesn't want to move 3,000 miles, with 3 young children, for the last year of his contract—in hopes that 5 months later he can get blasted off to some different place where he might play some playoff games.

He gets his money no matter what. He knows he is almost certainly not going to be a contributor on a Stanley Cup champion 12 months from now.
My comment was taking that into consideration. But it was assuming 3 things:

- Atkinson wants to play for a few more years
- He has confidence in his ability to contribute
- He wants to set himself up for a contract that will take him to retirement

It's obviously a sacrifice for part of one year, but it could pay off. Working stiffs sacrifice much more for much less.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
4 months is a long time.

Today I learned the worst team in the league is almost a cup contender. Whoda thunk it.....

• Haha
Reactions: Breeze 44

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
4 months is a long time.

While I'm all for hating on the leafs. This is a ridiculous statement coming from a fan of the last place team last season.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Dog

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali

SJ doesn’t have any retention slots left

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad