Dreger: Atkinson isn’t keen on a move to the Sharks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the Flyers should just buy him out. The penalty in 25-26 is pretty small.

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
PHI)
2024-25$5,275,000$5,875,000$0$1,758,334$1,758,334$3,516,666$2,358,334
2025-26$0$0$0$1,758,334$1,758,334-$1,758,334$1,758,334

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
As a Sharks fan, I don't blame him. If he were a few years younger it makes more sense to him but I don't think he's looking for a huge money contract anymore. He probably wants an opportunity to win a cup this year before hanging em up and even if SJ gets him at 50% in the hopes of trading him at the deadline, they don't have any more retention spots to retain more making him more desirable for contenders. He's also not worth the hassles of finding and involving a third team for that.

Reactions: SnS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a Sharks fan, I don't blame him. If he were a few years younger it makes more sense to him but I don't think he's looking for a huge money contract anymore. He probably wants an opportunity to win a cup this year before hanging em up and even if SJ gets him at 50% in the hopes of trading him at the deadline, they don't have any more retention spots to retain more making him more desirable for contenders. He's also not worth the hassles of finding and involving a third team for that.
It's only a 10 team no trade list. He's from the NE US, so pretty sure he'd list like 6/7 of the CAD teams plus the really bad teams in the US, which SJ is one of them.

He's 35 now, so this should be his final year in the league unless he wants to bounce around. If he has a family, probably not as inclined to do that. But, if he does have a family, he'd probably want to make it 1 move so that he's not a TDL trade candidate, thus moving twice.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It varies by contract, and this might not be accurate, but according to CapFriendly, he submitted a list on June 15th, 2020, and does not get to update it at all.
True thanks

Well in that case if the flyers deal him to the sharks he better pack his bags

He's completely washed. Should be a buy-out candidate.
Is he a bounce back candidate at 1M if bought out?

A 4th line offensive spark plug who can give 30 pts in low usage role?

Several teams could be interested at that type of role and contract if he gets bought out.

Id like him on the leafs under that scenerio with understanding he wont play everygame and could lose his spot at any pt in the playoffs

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think the Flyers should just buy him out. The penalty in 25-26 is pretty small.

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
PHI)
2024-25$5,275,000$5,875,000$0$1,758,334$1,758,334$3,516,666$2,358,334
2025-26$0$0$0$1,758,334$1,758,334-$1,758,334$1,758,334

There's no reason to. Why even use cap on someone when we're not competing next year anyway?

• Love
Reactions: SnS and FlyguyOX

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's only a 10 team no trade list. He's from the NE US, so pretty sure he'd list like 6/7 of the CAD teams plus the really bad teams in the US, which SJ is one of them.

He's 35 now, so this should be his final year in the league unless he wants to bounce around. If he has a family, probably not as inclined to do that. But, if he does have a family, he'd probably want to make it 1 move so that he's not a TDL trade candidate, thus moving twice.
All valid points as well. Point is, as a Sharks fan I'm not offended by his decision.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Have to wonder how his injury impacted him.

Eh, injury + age. Tough to miss a whole season that late in your career and come back alright.

Worth noting that he, like the other Flyer who missed an entire season or more prior (Couturier), actually started out pretty good. 14 points in his first 20 games! Then was really up-and-down (mostly down) for the middle of the season, 14 points in 30 games. But then absolutely fell off a cliff and laid down 0 in his final 20.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would be hesitant to do that but I would probably do that. And you're right, these are unexciting players in a "my crap for your crap move".

You guys are heavy up front and light on the back end. Would something like POJ+Ponomarov for Frost+Atkinson be more in line? I think Frost is the kind of player that the Penguins are missing. POJ is a RFA but our top 4 is relatively set. We are missing that younger 3C like Frost. It might be Pono but we would be taking the cap hit on Atkinson for a more "sure thing".

The trick for us is that we're strong specifically at RW, where we roll TK/Tippett/Foerster/Brink, and that's also Atkinson and Tuomaala's better position, and Farabee can play RW in a pinch. Our C depth is Couturier/Frost/Poehling/??/Profit!, and towards the end of the season, with Couts struggling, Frost was our de facto 1C. Frost is a 3C on a normal team, with normal depth, which we very much are not.

If the deal was Frost and Atkinson for POJ, Ponomarev, and our own 2nd this year back, I could justify moving Frost (even as one of his bigger fans on this board.) An extra shot at drafting a higher-tier center in this draft for two, three years down the line would do wonders for making it easier to move off of Frost.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Personally my hope was something like Atkinson+12 for 14. He only has one year left. Not sure if it would be enough though.

I don't like this for either team. It isn't enough trade value for SJ. ~6MM of absolute dreck is a large dump.

Then the Flyers aren't in position to try to compete this year, so the last thing they need is to pay premium draft capital for one year of space.

(Flyers fan.)

Reactions: pit

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't like this for either team. It isn't enough trade value for SJ. ~6MM of absolute dreck is a large dump.

Then the Flyers aren't in position to try to compete this year, so the last thing they need is to pay premium draft capital for one year of space.

(Flyers fan.)
It’s one year so fine for SJ.

That’s fine for Flyers fans. I don’t think it’s really premium draft capital. It’s dropping 2 spots and staying in the same tier.

Reactions: themelkman

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It’s one year so fine for SJ.

That’s fine for Flyers fans. I don’t think it’s really premium draft capital. It’s dropping 2 spots and staying in the same tier.

It's leveraging part of the value of a lottery pick for cap space they don't need in a year they're not going to compete. They could move down for a pick too, so it's still a choice between dumping Atkinson and pick equity.

We don't know how tiers break until the pick is on the clock, nor are everyone's tiers the same. Most people have Yakemchuk much higher than I do for example. The draft isn't about consensus tiers. It's a measure of who's high on each player.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's leveraging part of the value of a lottery pick for cap space they don't need in a year they're not going to compete. They could move down for a pick too, so it's still a choice between dumping Atkinson and pick equity.

We don't know how tiers break until the pick is on the clock, nor are everyone's tiers the same. Most people have Yakemchuk much higher than I do for example. The draft isn't about consensus tiers. It's a measure of who's high on each player.
Yes but it’s pretty much consensus that there a top 15-18 then a drop.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yes but it’s pretty much consensus that there a top 15-18 then a drop.

That's almost never true and it assumes that all teams agree on the names and specific tier of the players in that larger group. Evaluations vary wildly from team to team. It’s part why these trades are done on the clock.

If you're the team trading down, you also have to make sure someone you have up a tier isn’t available at your pick. If someone like Parekh is there at 12 and you’ve already traded the pick to dump a salary, it’s an unmitigated disaster. The same goes for Catton to many people.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i cant blame him. at 35 youre probably not looking to go to a team starting a rebuild. he should be able to get a league min contract from a contender after a buyout.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I wonder if he gets bought out. If he does, he’d be an interesting option on a short term deal for the Isles. He has connections to Long Island (played on a couple summer tournament teams from Long Island) and could be a decent compliment on the top 6.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's almost never true and it assumes that all teams agree on the names and specific tier of the players in that larger group. Evaluations vary wildly from team to team. It’s part why these trades are done on the clock.

If you're the team trading down, you also have to make sure someone you have up a tier isn’t available at your pick. If someone like Parekh is there at 12 and you’ve already traded the pick to dump a salary, it’s an unmitigated disaster. The same goes for Catton to many people.
You are wildly misinterpreting what I said. There is a 15-18 player tier and then a drop. How the players are ranked in that tier is up to the team.

ChopSuey

Jun 26, 2023
He has San Jose on his 10 team no trade list 9 times and Squatawa is the other

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad