ATD Lineup advice thread

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You might want to think about giving Tommy Phillips a letter. I don't know if he actually captained those old Kelowna teams (maybe an undrafted defenseman was the captain?), but he has all the qualities you look for in a leader. Beyond that, Schmidt, Seibert and Patrick all have good leadership qualities. If you make Lidstrom captain, and Seibert/Patrick the assistants, you've got a guy with a letter on the ice at all times.
Yeah - and Lewis was C of those Red Wings teams. Gardiner has been mentioned. Stewart wore a letter and Detroit and was C of the Black Hawks for his brief tenure. I believe Cournoyer wore the C for the Habs for a good stretch of time as well. So I definitely have "leadership" covered writ large - just figuring out the ideal distribution is making me scratch my head.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Any advice on letters?

COACH: Tommy Gorman
CAPTAIN: Nicklas Lidstrom
ASSISTANT:
ASSISTANT:

Cy Denneny - Milt Schmidt - Guy Lafleur
Tommy Phillips - Max Bentley - Yvan Cournoyer
Herbie Lewis - Frank Frederickson - Larry Aurie
Bun Cook - Ralph Backstrom - Ed Litzenberger

Nicklas Lidstrom - Jack Stewart
Ken Reardon - Earl Seibert
Lester Patrick - Adam Foote

Charlie Gardiner
Henrik Lundquist

ex: Tim Kerr

Initial plan was to give the C to Lidstrom, but that's flexible.

Cournoyer - C
Lidstrom - A
Schmidt - A

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Any advice on letters?

COACH: Tommy Gorman
CAPTAIN: Nicklas Lidstrom
ASSISTANT:
ASSISTANT:

Cy Denneny - Milt Schmidt - Guy Lafleur
Tommy Phillips - Max Bentley - Yvan Cournoyer
Herbie Lewis - Frank Frederickson - Larry Aurie
Bun Cook - Ralph Backstrom - Ed Litzenberger

Nicklas Lidstrom - Jack Stewart
Ken Reardon - Earl Seibert
Lester Patrick - Adam Foote

Charlie Gardiner
Henrik Lundquist

ex: Tim Kerr

Initial plan was to give the C to Lidstrom, but that's flexible.

Schmidt is easily the best leader on that squad, at least insofar as we can know about leadership from outside. I researched Schmidt last year enough to know how great a leader he was. He's basically Jean Béliveau but without the super team success in his 30's. I guess that matters, but no one was betting on those Boston teams to win anything anyway.

Schmidt - C
Lidstrom - A

Then pick between Cournoyer, Gardiner, Seibert, Fredrickson and Phillips for the remaining A. I'd lean Gardiner.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I definitely think there is an argument for Schmidt to wear the C. Can't really go wrong with either him or Lidstrom and as others have said, you have a handful of very acceptable options throughout the rest of your lineup.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Schmidt also has my favorite quote ever: ''I was not a Lady Byng player. I lost that at the opening face-off, after the first minute of the opening game!'' - Milt Schmidt

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I understand wanting to go with Lidstrom because he won as captain whereas Schmidt did not, but that's only a matter of circumstances. Schmidt is a true heart and soul player in a way that Lidstrom is not.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Coach: Hap Day

Patrick Elias - Frank Nighbor (A) - Charlie Conacher
Vladimir Krutov - Frank Boucher (A) - Rod Gilbert
Zach Parise - Anze Kopitar - Cecil Dillon
Nick Metz - Claude Giroux - ??????

Slava Fetisov (K) - Drew Doughty
Herb Gardiner - Erik Karlsson
Ryan Suter - Jimmy Thomson

Clint Benedict

Should I make Tony Amonte or Rick Tocchet my regular starter at 4th line RW? Here's some info to consider:

- 4th line RW will get very little playing time and no special teams time, likely 6-8 ES min a night
- Amonte is the better ES scorer 54 vs. 47 for 7yr ES vs.X
- While Amonte definitely has some grit to his game, Tocchet is much tougher, he's outright nasty and can fight
- The 4th line you see above will only play together for about 3 min a game, the remaining ES minutes will feature one of Nighbor/Boucher/Kopitar at C with Giroux on the LW. (Metz will play 1st unit PK so he makes up for the lost time there).

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Schmidt is easily the best leader on that squad, at least insofar as we can know about leadership from outside. I researched Schmidt last year enough to know how great a leader he was. He's basically Jean Béliveau but without the super team success in his 30's. I guess that matters, but no one was betting on those Boston teams to win anything anyway.

Schmidt - C
Lidstrom - A

Then pick between Cournoyer, Gardiner, Seibert, Fredrickson and Phillips for the remaining A. I'd lean Gardiner.

I definitely think there is an argument for Schmidt to wear the C. Can't really go wrong with either him or Lidstrom and as others have said, you have a handful of very acceptable options throughout the rest of your lineup.

I'm fine with Schmidt wearing the C, but isn't Cournoyer a must to wear an A (with Lidstrom)? I know he was only Captain of the Habs for 4 seasons, but they won the Cup in all 4.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Coach: Hap Day

Patrick Elias - Frank Nighbor (A) - Charlie Conacher
Vladimir Krutov - Frank Boucher (A) - Rod Gilbert
Zach Parise - Anze Kopitar - Cecil Dillon
Nick Metz - Claude Giroux - ??????

Slava Fetisov (K) - Drew Doughty
Herb Gardiner - Erik Karlsson
Ryan Suter - Jimmy Thomson

Clint Benedict

Should I make Tony Amonte or Rick Tocchet my regular starter at 4th line RW? Here's some info to consider:

- 4th line RW will get very little playing time and no special teams time, likely 6-8 ES min a night
- Amonte is the better ES scorer 54 vs. 47 for 7yr ES vs.X
- While Amonte definitely has some grit to his game, Tocchet is much tougher, he's outright nasty and can fight
- The 4th line you see above will only play together for about 3 min a game, the remaining ES minutes will feature one of Nighbor/Boucher/Kopitar at C with Giroux on the LW. (Metz will play 1st unit PK so he makes up for the lost time there).

Bump

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Given that you can ice your entire 3rd line after powerplays, there just isn't that much ES pressure on your 4th liners to play good defense. Your 4th line is gonna be a bag of mixed parts no matter which one you pick due to the awkward Metz - Giroux pair. Probably better to go with Tocchet in order to have a disposable enforcer, as Charlie Conacher seems to be your toughest player at the moment (though I think Gardiner and Thomson were also willing fighters).

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad