ATD#8 Jim Robson Round 1: #4 New York vs. #5 Portage la Prairie

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I don't have a low regard for Pitre. I think he's an above-average 2-way 2nd line talent who you got for a nice price - not on the same level as Malone or Lalonde, but at least in the ballpark. "2nd line talent" doesn't mean that he can't hold a fork for you on a 1st line, only that he's not a guy who's going to carry a first line anywhere by himself. As a complementary player on a 1st line, however, Pitre is fine.

The problem is that Lindsay and Cook are both high-end 1st liners (Lindsay on the extreme high end), and their presence together could have made up for Lach being a low-end 1st line center. Substituting Pitre for Cook, however, means that Lindsay is really the only high-end 1st line player on the line. Lach is on the lower end of 1st liners at his position and Pitre is a fringe guy as 1st liners go. It adds up to a below median first line. It is not, however, a knock on Didier Pitre; he's just playing a bit above his role. As a second liner, I think he's quite underrated and again, was a nice value where you drafted him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't have a low regard for Pitre. I think he's an above-average 2-way 2nd line talent who you got for a nice price - not on the same level as Malone or Lalonde, but at least in the ballpark. "2nd line talent" doesn't mean that he can't hold a fork for you on a 1st line, only that he's not a guy who's going to carry a first line anywhere by himself. As a complementary player on a 1st line, however, Pitre is fine.

The problem is that Lindsay and Cook are both high-end 1st liners (Lindsay on the extreme high end), and their presence together could have made up for Lach being a low-end 1st line center. Substituting Pitre for Cook, however, means that Lindsay is really the only high-end 1st line player on the line. Lach is on the lower end of 1st liners at his position and Pitre is a fringe guy as 1st liners go. It adds up to a below median first line. It is not, however, a knock on Didier Pitre; he's just playing a bit above his role. As a second liner, I think he's quite underrated and again, was a nice value where you drafted him.

I can swallow "below the median first line" (just below ;)), as long as voters don't disregard that my 2nd line makes up for it offensively, to say nothing of my bottom 6.

I'd have liked to keep Bill Cook on that 1st line, but with Pitre being available where he was and Bun Cook still on the board, I had to reevaluate. Regardless, the Lindsay-Lach-Cook combination should still see plenty of action on the PP.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I never said Tom Phillipps wouldn't score : I only said he would brings too much PIM's to be used effectively on a checking line (if you were referring to my comments).

I realize now that my last entry is as far as possible from NY-PLP matchup. This thread has so much replies, it should be renamed "ATD - Gossip Circle"

It wasn't just you, your criticism is a legitimate one, if that situation becomes a problem, Holik is capable of stepping up.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
You're right, MXD, this thread is a bit like a sewing circle. At any rate, what Nalyd said. Once his PIMs are adjusted for third line icetime, I don't think Tommy Phillips' penalties will make him too much of a liability on a checkingline, but if it becomes an issue in the playoffs, Holik can step into that role and Phillips then makes the Adams - Dillon line even more of a force, both physically and offensively. We'll address that once Oakland has a 2nd round matchup.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're right, MXD, this thread is a bit like a sewing circle. At any rate, what Nalyd said. Once his PIMs are adjusted for third line icetime, I don't think Tommy Phillips' penalties will make him too much of a liability on a checkingline, but if it becomes an issue in the playoffs, Holik can step into that role and Phillips then makes the Adams - Dillon line even more of a force, both physically and offensively. We'll address that once Oakland has a 2nd round matchup.

It's really only a sewing circle if it keeps getting fed.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Oh, I should also mention, doc, that I think it pretty much goes without saying that Lindros is injury-prone. Lach's struggles are a bit less well-known, and I thought were worth pointing out considering New York's physicality.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh, I should also mention, doc, that I think it pretty much goes without saying that Lindros is injury-prone. Lach's struggles are a bit less well-known, and I thought were worth pointing out considering New York's physicality.

Ahh, fair enough.

I only wanted to make sure that people weren't being too swayed by the Raiders media machine and their boasts of being an unstoppable force of invincible übermensch. :sarcasm:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hey guys...when researching Jack Stewart over the course of this ATD, I found out he had played for my hometown Terriers, and I decided to take a look over at local Portage Centennial Arena to see if I could find him in an old team photo.

Well, I couldn't find any shots of him with his junior team, but I did unearth this little gem. Apparently, Stewart attended my alma mater and current place of employment, and played for the high school team too!

So here's a look at a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Blackjack in his awkward teen years (bottom row, far right). I'm also going to check in the PCI archives a bit over the next few days to see if I can't dig up anything else of note. Hope you like it.

Portage Collegiate Institute Hockey Team
PORTAGE HOCKEY CLUB
Winners of the W.E. Garland Trophy (1935 - 1936) Manitoba High School League

Back Row---L. McDougall, Asst. Manager; W.C. Byas, Manager; F. Kennedy, Trainer; Ade Johnson, Coach; G. Jones, President Portage Hockey Club; G. Dewar, Executive; J.R. Hamilton, Principal; Keith Stewart, Secretary Portage Hockey Club.
Second Row---J. McCullough, R. Wing; A. Smart, L. Wing; B. Osbourne, L. Wing; L. McDougall, Centre; J. Collier, R. Wing; M. Pecket, L. Wing; G. Crewson, Defence.
Bottom Row---A. Winchuk, Defence; L. Kennedy, Utility Goalkeeper; Fred Bowman, L. Wing (Capt.); Ross King, Goal; J. Stewart, Defence.
Bottom Row---Craig Stewart, Mascot.
Missing From Picture---M. Pecket, Centre; J.R. Colwill; W.C. Lowry, Executive Portage Hockey Club.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 1

Hasek shines in low scoring affair.

Ted Lindsay and Bill Cook each had shot totals in the double digits, but couldn’t get one past Vezina trophy candidate Dominik Hasek. Portage sent wave after wave of attack into the New York zone, but were stymied every time by Hasek who made 42 saves in the 1-0 shutout. After two scoreless periods Bill and Bun Cook were buzzing around the Raider net on the cycle. Bill slipped the puck through Charlie Huddy’s legs and threaded a cross ice pass to Crosby parked at the edge of the left circle. Crosby’s one time pass intended for Eddie Gerard at the point was intercepted by Doug Gilmour who was off to the races. With Sprague Cleghorn slashing his ankles the whole way, Gilmour backhanded the puck through Cheevers’ legs for the only goal of the game.

Raiders lead series 1-0

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 2

Hasek Dominates again

“He’s better in warm-up than most of us would be in game seven of the Stanley cup final†said a disgusted Gerry Cheevers who made 23 saves on 24 shots and lost for the second game in a row. The game wasn’t as one sided as the series opener, but Portage did have a 33-24 edge in shots. “It’s pretty easy to stop the pucks you can see, and those guys are letting me see everything out there†said Hasek after the game. Gadsby and Stevens were phenomenal in their own end, ensuring that there were no second chances. The game winner was again scored by Doug Gilmour who took a pin point pass from Gadsby and picked the top corner from just inside the Portage blue line. Ted Lindsay was again the spark plug for Portage, recording 7 shots on goal and bloodying Rod Brind’Amour’s face with a high stick late in the third period when emotions started to boil over. “Well, what do you expect?†snarled Lindsay after being penalized for four minutes “it’s so ******* big, how can you not hit it?†The teams will now travel to Portage to play the next two games. “We have to find a way to score†said coach Toe Blake “simple as thaâ€.

Raiders lead series 2-0

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 3

Portage climbs within one

With so much fire power, it seemed to be only a matter of time before the floodgates opened for Portage. On home ice, Portage exploded for 4 goals in the second period to pull within one in the best of seven series. At the end of a scoreless first period Ted Lindsay was nailed at the blue line by New York’s Scott Stevens. As Stevens was skating away he was slashed in the back of the leg by Sprague Cleghorn. The two were exchanging words between the benches for a few seconds before the linesman stepped between them. At that moment Ted Lindsay came from seemingly nowhere and got about 4 solid punches in before Stevens was able to get his arms up. Stevens seemed stunned after the bout and the whole New York team came out flat for the second period. Once again Lindsay took matters into his own hands, scoring twice and assisting on a Bill Cook goal. John Tonelli got the fourth goal as he tipped in Cleghorn’s shot as Lindros was serving a roughing penalty. Lindros got one back in the third period, but it was too little too late as Portage won 4-1.

Raiders lead series 2-1

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
So far this is very much how I would see this series going.

I can just picture Portage as the Ottawa Senators against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the late 90s early 2000s in those first two games... WHY WON'T WE SCORE!!

This better go 7.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 4

All tied up

In a close checking affair, Portage’s power play proved to be the difference in the pivotal game four. Midway through the first period Vladimir Martinec was slapped with a controversial tripping penalty. On the ensuing power play, Elmer Lach, Bill Cook, and Ted Lindsay held the puck in the Raider zone for a minute and twenty seconds before Lindsay beat Hasek high on the blocker side off of a brilliant feed from Lach. Lach took the puck at the top of the right circle and walked in a few feet before finding Lindsay who had snuck in behind Stevens. Bill Cook made it 2-0 early in the third on a 5 on 3 power play. Cook was the beneficiary of another Lach feed, this time from behind the net. Lach hit Cook in the high slot who one timed it past Hasek for his second goal in as many games. Gerry Cheevers recorded his first shutout of the playoffs, making 18 saves along the way. The teams will now head back to New York to play game 5.

Series tied 2-2.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 5

Stewart's Heroics power la Prairie Plains

It was as emotional a game as we’ve seen in these ATD playoffs so far. General Manager VanIslander was called out by the press for his comments regarding this series. After giving up two power play goals in game 4, Van’s words were scrawled all over the local papers: “If the Raiders special teams won't be more effective than the Plains' special teams then New York will lose the series for sureâ€. The Raiders came out eager to defend the boss with the tone being set early by the big first line centre Eric Lindros. 4 minutes into the first period Lindros raced into the Portage zone on the fore check. Jack Stewart grabbed the puck in the corner and turned to skate with it behind his own net. Just as he turned he was demolished by Lindros. Play was whistled down because the glass was shattered. Stewart was taken off the ice on a stretcher and looked to be unconscious. The hit was deemed clean by ref Kerry Fraser, and play resumed once the glass was replaced. The game turned into a brawl from there as Lindsay and Stevens dropped the gloves for a rematch of their game three battle. Lindsay again came out on top, much to the dismay of Raider fans. The score was knotted at 0 as Hasek and Cheevers made save after save until late in the third period. In an incredible display of courage Jack Stewart was back on the ice after receiving 20 stitches on his head and face. He jumped over the boards and immediately fished the puck out of his own corner. He then threw a pass up and sent John Tonelli in on a breakaway, exposing a pinching Charlie Huddy. Tonelli fired a laser high-glove side on Hasek for what would prove to be the game winner. Bill Cook added an empty netter that was assisted by Gerry Cheevers.

Portage leads series 3-2

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 6

Seventh Heaven

In a press conference before the game Eric Lindros and Scott Stevens spoke to the media about the controversy circling GM VanIslander. “Maybe it’s better that we’re on the road for this game†joked Lindros “the fans here are nicer to us then at homeâ€. Stevens went on to say that the team stands behind VanIslander and that a loss in this series would reflect on the play of the team and not the GM’s selections. The two were also the sparkplugs for the team on the ice. On the first shift of the game Lindros delivered a crushing body check on Walt Tkaczuk, who limped off the ice in a great deal of pain. The very next shift saw Stevens catch Sidney Crosby admiring a pass to Bun Cook. Stevens laid Crosby out and play was whistled down as the young star skated to the bench shaking his head. “Welcome to the All Time League, kid†Stevens said as he skated past the Portage bench. The Raiders were rejuvenated by the two early hits and got some jump back into their step. Gilmour notched two goals and Dino Ciccarelli got another as the Raiders took a 3-0 lead into the third period. Ted Lindsay and Bill Cook answered for Portage in the third, but Hasek shut the door, making 18 saves in the final 20 minutes. Hasek has now stopped over 30 shots in all 6 games and looks every bit as good as his high draft spot would indicate.

Series tied 3-3.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 7

Do or die for Portage and New York

In front of a sold out home crowd, the Raiders entered game 7 trying to eliminate an opponent they once lead 2-0. The deciding game had a bit of everything. Lindsay and Stevens were yapping at each other all game, although both seemed wary to drop the gloves in such an important game. Cheevers was his usual brilliant self in a do or die situation. The teams played a highly entertaining, yet scoreless first period before
Ted Lindsay converted an Elmer Lach pass into 1-0 lead halfway through the second period. With the momentum on their side, Portage began to dominate the game playing the majority of the second and third periods in the New York zone. The defensive prowess of Stevens and Lapointe allowed Hasek to see all the rubber he faced however, and he stopped everything except for the lone Lindsay tally. As time was winding down it seemed as if that goal might be enough, but with 7 minutes to play Crosby coughed the puck up to Gilmour who raced up ice and fed Dave Andreychuk in the slot for the tying goal. With all roads leading to overtime New York fans started taunting Cheevers, some going as far as to throw moldy cheese on the ice. With less than a minute to play however Lindsay chipped the puck past a pinching Gadsby and raced in alone on Hasek. He cut right and fired a backhand that looked to have Hasek completely beaten. Hasek however, rolled from shoulder to shoulder at one point literally standing on his head and got the knob of his stick on the puck. It deflected out onto the stick of Gadsby, who raced up ice with it. As he stepped across the Portage blue line he fired a cross ice pass to a streaking Gilmour who buried the one timer with under 15 seconds to play. New York wins a thrilling game 7 by a score of 2-1 and moves on to the second round.

Raiders win series 4-3
Three stars: Dominik Hasek, Ted Lindsay, Bill Cook

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thanks for the terrific write-up, raleh.

Can't say I'm not disappointed, as I genuinely think I had the better-built team, but the voice of the ATD has spoken.

Congrats, VanI.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Raiders g.m. VanIslander is quoted by unnamed sources to have given up any hope of winning the cup and quits before his board can fire him, but not before he fires coach Shero
Unnamed sources were hasty in their rumours. How can the g.m. quit out of fear of the board of directors firing him when the g.m. OWNS the franchise? ;) The board members would be replaced in a heart beat.

No, instead VanIslander was in emergency family therapy sessions as the Vanny family copes with planning its first Christmas without mom, an emotionally trying experience, but one worked out with the support of family and friends (coach Shero must be a family friend lol).

Anyways, the g.m. is back in the office and the coach is back with the boys, and all is well. A major line shake-up is expected however, as anything goes next round.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
doctordark, i was very impressed with your participation in this all-time draft and look forward to what you put together in the future.

...The very next shift saw Stevens catch Sidney Crosby admiring a pass to Bun Cook. Stevens laid Crosby out and play was whistled down as the young star skated to the bench shaking his head. “Welcome to the All Time League, kid†Stevens said as he skated past the Portage bench.
The turning point of the series. :D

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Thanks for the terrific write-up, raleh.

Can't say I'm not disappointed, as I genuinely think I had the better-built team, but the voice of the ATD has spoken.

Congrats, VanI.
Its tough to get out of that first round. Believe me I know, this is my 4th draft and I have been knocked out in the first round every time so far (always in 7 games). Hopefully I will be a little luckier in draft 8.

I thought this series was a toss up. Your team was interesting with a lot of daring picks. Better luck next time & congrats to Van who put a lot of effort into compiling his team and it paid off,

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm definitely stunned by that one. I think I had Portage in 5, seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00