Player Discussion: At 18th Overall Blue Jackets Take Liam Foudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It is weird, on paper Akil is a much better player, but when i have watch him, he seems like a none factor on the ice. He is not bad, but he do not put the world on fire. While with Foudy it is the other way around, he really wow me when i watch him, but he has pretty horrible stats for being a 1 rounder. Eyetest Foudy wins easily, but on paper Akil still wins with big margin. Seems little bit weird to me. Do not understand why Foudy with all his skillset do not score more, and it is not like he is lazy, he is very active in the game from what i have seen.
Foudys stats when you look at them in depth are really good.

After the trades that sent away all of their best players away I believe he was over a PPG

Edit:
2018 NHL Draft prospect profile: Liam Foudy can fly past opposing defences

Foudy recorded points in 26 of the 65 games he played with the Knights this season. What's interesting is that 20 of those games were after January, right around the time the Knights sold at the trade deadline and became a different team, relying on their youth to lead their rebuild.
Thirty-three of his 40 points were also scored in the 31 games after this restructuring, making him better than a point-per-game player for this stretch. He also had a big role in London's playoff push after both he and the team had been quite unremarkable in the first half of the season.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Even if you look at it that way, it just goes for bad to medicore, and he still has worse PPG than akil. It still do not match what i see on the ice. To me Foudy looks dominant on the ice, akil looks far from dominant

Don't know anything about Akil, and practically nothing about Foudy (other than some people don't "understand" the pick), but this is a perfect example to throw out that there is more to hockey than points. Goals scored are literally no more important than goals scored against. There is many more important things to accomplish on the ice that impact things LIKE getting points.

Nearly every goal scored has a teammate and an opposing player that have a significant impact on the goal, that are not given "credit" for either helping or hurting their respective teams.

Its 1 of the main reasons a capable "eye test" trumps any of the advanced "numbers", "stats", "analysis", "facts", whatever important/official name you want to give them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Its 1 of the main reasons a capable "eye test" trumps any of the advanced "numbers", "stats", "analysis", "facts", whatever important/official name you want to give them.

If a GM and his amateur scouts are selecting players largely based on their statistics then they ought to be fired. Jarmo and his team obviously look at fundamental skills and abilities much more closely to see who has the most potential at a higher level. We all know that boxcar stats don't translate that closely from juniors to the NHL.

But none of that is a knock on analytics in general because there's no pretense that analytics replaces amateur scouting in any way. (Though I have seen a few dopes try it).

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Don't know anything about Akil, and practically nothing about Foudy (other than some people don't "understand" the pick), but this is a perfect example to throw out that there is more to hockey than points. Goals scored are literally no more important than goals scored against. There is many more important things to accomplish on the ice that impact things LIKE getting points.

Nearly every goal scored has a teammate and an opposing player that have a significant impact on the goal, that are not given "credit" for either helping or hurting their respective teams.

unless I'm mistaken, that's pretty weird coming from a guy who rips on Wennberg for not scoring enough goals... And how his secondary assists don't matter.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
unless I'm mistaken, that's pretty weird coming from a guy who rips on Wennberg for not scoring enough goals... And how his secondary assists don't matter.

I've never ripped him for not scoring enough goals. I have no problem with a "pass 1st" player, however there are ("many") cases when he DOES look to pass when he should shoot. I also believe Wennberg does have a below average shot. Many of his assist were "secondary" and on the powerplay in 16/17. MANY of these assists/passes were not much hard work or even "good plays". They just "happened" to "lead" to goals. Not to get to deep in semantics, but I DO have a problem with how passive he seems to be all over the ice, a good 75% of the time.

My point is that there is more to hockey, more to look at and SEE on the ice, than a stat sheet. My point, adding on to what 'ulvvf' was saying, is that you clearly CAN NOT simply look at points (or divide them a few different ways) and use that to judge IMPACT either.

There are times when there are players on the ice who are equal or even MORE responsible for a goal scored than either 1 of the 2 assist men, or even sometimes the goal scorer himself. Whether they made a great (breakout) pass, or set up a perfect screen out front. This could only be seen in the +/- stat. And not on the PP. There is also players (mainly offense) that can be given "credit" for a goal against that is not shown in any stat either, other than the +/- stat.

It doesn't matter if its a 1st or 2nd assist, it matters HOW he got the assists. I also DO NOT consider Wennberg some superb "two way" center that some here like to pass him off as.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I've never ripped him for not scoring enough goals. I have no problem with a "pass 1st" player, however there are ("many") cases when he DOES look to pass when he should shoot. I also believe Wennberg does have a below average shot. Many of his assist were "secondary" and on the powerplay in 16/17. MANY of these assists/passes were not much hard work or even "good plays". They just "happened" to "lead" to goals. Not to get to deep in semantics, but I DO have a problem with how passive he seems to be all over the ice, a good 75% of the time.

My point is that there is more to hockey, more to look at and SEE on the ice, than a stat sheet. My point, adding on to what 'ulvvf' was saying, is that you clearly CAN NOT simply look at points (or divide them a few different ways) and use that to judge IMPACT either.

There are times when there are players on the ice who are equal or even MORE responsible for a goal scored than either 1 of the 2 assist men, or even sometimes the goal scorer himself. Whether they made a great (breakout) pass, or set up a perfect screen out front. This could only be seen in the +/- stat. And not on the PP. There is also players (mainly offense) that can be given "credit" for a goal against that is not shown in any stat either, other than the +/- stat.

It doesn't matter if its a 1st or 2nd assist, it matters HOW he got the assists. I also DO NOT consider Wennberg some superb "two way" center that some here like to pass him off as.
I'll agree with you on him not shooting enough, I mean he was outshot by Nuttivara and almost by Milano. But his problem isn't his shot, it's him not shooting enough. His s% is fine, and it'll probably drop some with an increased amount of shots, but he should still be able to hit 15ish goals if he would just shoot the f***ing puck more than 100 times/season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The puck was rolling. No Goal.
tenor.gif

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'm not making the comparison player-to-player, but what he did to that defenseman is what McDavid does to NHLers. Unreal speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad