Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Really thought he would have made the team this year.

I got the feeling that he will be trade against a loan player at the TDL.

I know there's some discourse about how he should have made the team at this point because Wyatt Johnston is an NHLer. But is that a fair comparison? I think it would be fairer to look at the guys drafted in the same range rather than focusing on the anomaly.

17 - Zachary Boduc: AHL
18 - Chaz Lucius: AHL
19 - Fyodor Svechkov: IR
21 - Fabian Lysell: AHL
22 - Xavier Bougault: AHL
23 - Wyatt Johnston: NHL
24 - Mackie Samoskevich: NHL
27 - Zachary L'Heureux: AHL
28 - Oskar Olausson: AHL
29 - Chase Stillman: AHL
30 - Zach Dean: AHL

Does Othmann have to be better?

Yes

Did we expect more?

Yes

Should we panic about him not making the team?

Absolutely not.

The overwhelming majority of forwards drafted after him in the first round also go back to the AHL. It kinda puts things into perspective, rather than focusing on the outlier and being outraged that our pick isn't an outlier as well.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
It's wild that ESPN has ANOTHER Rempe article. That's like 4 this offseason IIRC. There was one about his skating. One about training with Laraque. The rookie event. And now this. Kid gets more coverage than the #1OA players.

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I feel like Othmann is getting the development timeline JT Miller shouldve gotten here. We called up JT as a 19 year old and he got yo-yo'd for 3 years and never really learned anything because playing for a Cup contender isnt good for teaching young players.

Let Othmann continue to cook in the AHL. Watching him in preseasons he still hasnt filled out. He's still only 21. Only our fans could be impatient on a prospect like this after all we've been through with our other players. And definitely don't trade him for a freaking rental to help this team.

Reactions: bhamill and mas0764

Top cheese Gaz

Nov 21, 2023
I feel like Othmann is getting the development timeline JT Miller shouldve gotten here. We called up JT as a 19 year old and he got yo-yo'd for 3 years and never really learned anything because playing for a Cup contender isnt good for teaching young players.

Let Othmann continue to cook in the AHL. Watching him in preseasons he still hasnt filled out. He's still only 21. Only our fans could be impatient on a prospect like this after all we've been through with our other players. And definitely don't trade him for a freaking rental to help this team.
I hope they don't. I don't know if he could on day be on the top 6 but he got the dawg in him that I like. would fit perfectly on the 3rd line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not a fan of comparing a guy who is 21 to his peers from his draft class--either to suggest he's doing fine or to suggest he's struggling. Until everyone in the draft class is 25-26, it's not really apparent what guys "truly" are. Some guys surprise and make it to the NHL at 19 and 20, and some of them become stars; others never really develop much beyond that or even regress. Some guys take several years to develop and don't even make it to the NHL until 23 or 24 (or later) and have career peaks that occur much later than a lot of their peers. And basically everything in between.

Looking at the rest of a guy's class can be an interesting visualization of where everyone stands, but it doesn't say anything about where a guy is developmentally. I mean in Othmann's case we can use the draft board to largely defend him, but if he looked like absolute dog shit, does the draft board matter? Or if he looks like a budding star in Hartford but he ends up blocked because, I don't know, Reilly Smith is playing like a stud, what does the draft board say then?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Othmann is the type of guy who we trade and becomes someone else's Sam Bennett
Fans hate this so much. But if it's not happening/doesn't seem to be on track to happen here, then what difference does it make? (I'm not saying trade Othmann or that it won't happen here for him. I'm just talking in general as in just holding that player doesn't mean the breakout would have happened for our team, eventually)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I hope they don't. I don't know if he could on day be on the top 6 but he got the dawg in him that I like. would fit perfectly on the 3rd line.
What good does that do us though, if he ends up being serviceable 3rd liner 2 years from now? Window is now, by then we’ll probably be rebuilding and we’ll have a ton of prospects.

Not saying we definitely should trade him for a rental, just that a future solid 3rd liner isn’t that valuable to this team in its current timeline

Top cheese Gaz

Nov 21, 2023
What good does that do us though, if he ends up being serviceable 3rd liner 2 years from now? Window is now, by then we’ll probably be rebuilding and we’ll have a ton of prospects.

Not saying we definitely should trade him for a rental, just that a future solid 3rd liner isn’t that valuable to this team in its current timeline
No what I mean it that the 3rd line is probably is floor. If he can reach is celling, he can be a top 6 players

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

I keep bringing this up, but at the same age, Kreids split time between NHL (23 games) and AHL (48 games) and at the NHL level had 2G and 1A... glad we didn't give up on him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad