Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
As an Oiler fan I would not offer a 1st, but I would offer recently acquired Matt Savoie (our best prospect, by far) and Olivier Rodrigue, who is a good AHL goalie with NHL upside who has never whispered a word about not reporting to the AHL this year. I don't believe our GM would offer that, based off of...well nothing really, as we just brought in Bowman, but our last GM would never have spent that kind of package on a goalie. I'd do it though. Run with Skinner and Askarov.
I would do this. Askarov for savioe would be a good base

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I highly respect all of your posts on this subject, but every one of them is a negative comment about Askarov the person and how he is not a great prospect of a goalie. Every publication out there has him as the top, if not second best goaltending prospect in the world. I think that Nashville and Trotz are incredibly screwing this up, a very assinine move signing Wedgewood for 2 years. He could definitely pull a Radulov and leave for a more lucrative 2-3 year contract in Russia, and make 3-5 Million more. The KHL is the wild wild west and certain teams don't give a damn about any NHL agreement, heck they just signed McLeod and Dube. Bottom line is that he is a very good goalie, and saying he's a bad one and not ready because of one bad playoff year, is silly. In Montreal Carey Price and Patrick Roy had some lousy playoff years, it's a small sample. Again, I respect your many comments on this post but it's almost like you ARE Barry Trotz hiding behind that moniker.
Askarov has another year on his NHL contract, he’s not going to the KHL this year unless that’s what the Preds want him to do. He can’t just sign a contract with the KHL in the face of his NHL contract. Unlike your suggestion that the KHL “don’t give a damn about any NHL agreement”, the last decade plus of relations between the leagues proves otherwise. When he’s a free agent next summer, all bets are off, which is the whole bloody point of free agency. He won’t have freedom of movement in the NHL but he has freedom outside of it.

McLeod and Dube were unrestricted free agents so they could sign with whoever the hell they wanted to sign with, in whatever league they want to sign in. Just like every single unrestricted free agent in history.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
None of those guys you mentioned are close to Askarov's pedigree at all pre NHL
Right, and not many of his pedigree ask to get traded because they have an All-Star #1 locked up for years and a dependable backup behind him, blocking his path. Your main point is that he's got pedigree pre-NHL level. Draft pedigree aside, he really hasn't done enough at the NHL level to warrant a starter's level return, so I think you may be disappointed with the return if this holdout drags on awhile and he remains insistent about leaving.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
vancouver should be one of the teams interested. with the news of demko not being ready for camp and possibly the regular season.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Wrong. There is no transfer agreement. But the leagues are honoring eachothers' contracts. The KHL isn't going to want all their young prospects under contract to leave, they aren't going to stop honoring NHL contracts. and having the NHL honor theirs, over Askarov. CSKA and the RIHF were both heavily sanctioned over the Fedotov case, and that had a lot of "other things going on" beyond just a player jumping ship. Askarov isn't a hostage. He can go back to Russia. But he won't be able to play professional hockey there.
Somewhat right, NHL teams are allowed to negotiate with the KHL teams to “buyout” their prospects so they can play in the NHL. Not that it matters in this situation

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Right, and not many of his pedigree ask to get traded because they have an All-Star #1 locked up for years and a dependable backup behind him, blocking his path. Your main point is that he's got pedigree pre-NHL level. Draft pedigree aside, he really hasn't done enough at the NHL level to warrant a starter's level return, so I think you may be disappointed with the return if this holdout drags on awhile and he remains insistent about leaving.

Phrased that way, you're right. But you never know if a team overpays because they know how good Askarov can be and just to get the deal done. It's up to Trotz to start a bidding war but he botched this after signing Saros

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
f***ing with his career and intentionally stalling his development? How do you justify that kind of allegation of underhandedness? Maybe the Nashville management simply doesn't agree that he is definitely NHL ready.

It's interesting that Mitch Korn has joined Predators organization again, and they are letting Askarov go. Tells something.

The trade value for sure is still a 1st (low).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Somewhat right, NHL teams are allowed to negotiate with the KHL teams to “buyout” their prospects so they can play in the NHL. Not that it matters in this situation
KHL players may buy out their own contracts. The NHL teams aren't (supposed to be) involved at all.

Reactions: kp61c

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
KHL players may buy out their own contracts. The NHL teams aren't (supposed to be) involved at all.
False. This was changed in 2022? I believe

The difference now is that NHL teams can negotiate with the respective KHL clubs to reach a deal for the players to come over. If the Canadiens wanted Demidov to play in Montreal next season, they could agree to a monetary agreement with SKA and bring him to North America sooner than expected.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It's interesting that Mitch Korn has joined Predators organization again, and they are letting Askarov go. Tells something.

Nashville isn’t letting anyone go. They decided to sign their number 1 goalie who is a top 10 goalie for 8 years and give askarov some competition to be the backup. Askarov sees no path to become a starter in the nhl in Nashville so he requested a trade which is understandable. But Nashville doesn’t have to trade him especially for a late first if they don’t want to

Reactions: Helistin

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
False. This was changed in 2022? I believe

The difference now is that NHL teams can negotiate with the respective KHL clubs to reach a deal for the players to come over. If the Canadiens wanted Demidov to play in Montreal next season, they could agree to a monetary agreement with SKA and bring him to North America sooner than expected.

Incorrect. It's still illegal. This however doesn't mean deals aren't done under the table.

Reactions: barriers

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Incorrect. It's still illegal. This however doesn't mean deals aren't done under the table.
The Kontinental Hockey League and the Russian Hockey Federation announced a new agreement on Tuesday, which could have a major effect on the Montreal Canadiens and Ivan Demidov.
Montreal Canadiens Take Ivan Demidov With Fifth-Overall Pick in 2024 NHL Draft
The Russian Hockey Federation will split from the Kontinental Hockey League, which makes the KHL an independent entity. The Russian Hockey Federation is the European equivalent of Hockey Canada or USA Hockey, which means it would be like these two entities owning the NHL under the old rules.

The KHL will also honor player contracts signed with foreign clubs, and release their players for IIHF events. Once the ban lifts on Russian teams competing, it allows KHL Russian players to attend all the events with their fellow NHLers.
There are some other minor changes, like a possible change to the limit on foreign players and the end times for the season. However, most of the league's basic identity will remain the same. The most prominent change could be the effect on Russian prospects for the NHL.
Russia's Ice Hockey Federation were notoriously against any of their players coming to North America to play in the NHL. The players feared the consequences of leaving and often stayed in Russia to avoid conflict.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nashville isn’t letting anyone go. They decided to sign their number 1 goalie who is a top 10 goalie for 8 years and give askarov some competition to be the backup. Askarov sees no path to become a starter in the nhl in Nashville so he requested a trade which is understandable. But Nashville doesn’t have to trade him especially for a late first if they don’t want to

Yeah.. but if he does not report to Milwaukee, where does he go ?

They have to promote 3 goalies up in NHL ?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I don't think it says much of anything other than Trotz trust in Korn to develop his next goalie of the future rather than dealing with a goalie who he has a clash of attitudes with.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah.. but if he does not report to Milwaukee, where does he go ?

They have to promote 3 goalies up in NHL ?
If he doesn't report to Milwaukee, then Nashville will suspend him and he'll take a holiday wherever he wants to go in the world. Probably take some beach time in Miami or the Caribbean, visit friends or family back home in Russia for a while, take the wife shopping in NYC or LA, or whatever else he likes to do in his free time.

Preds will continue to roll with Saros/Wedgewood at the NHL level. Matt Murray in Milwaukee. Then they'll have to decide if they want to pick up another AHL goalie or if they think Ethan Haider is ready enough. I would imagine they'll sign another goalie to replace Askarov in Milwaukee instead of promoting Haider, but who knows. Lankinen may prefer to wait for NHL jobs (like if Vancouver wants him), but I'd certainly offer him a 1yr/$1M contract if he wanted to come back and duel with Wedgewood to be Askarov's replacement. :dunno:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Nashville obviously shouldn't give him away but if Askarov isn't part of their long term plans, why not give him a chance somewhere else? Is there some benefit to the Preds in keeping him that I'm not seeing? Seems like it would make more sense to try to find a trade for something that they could actually use in the near future.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nashville obviously shouldn't give him away but if Askarov isn't part of their long term plans, why not give him a chance somewhere else? Is there some benefit to the Preds in keeping him that I'm not seeing? Seems like it would make more sense to try to find a trade for something that they could actually use in the near future.
Oh I agree. Not saying that we shouldn’t try and trade him but trotz has to get something significant back for a top goalie prospect. If all he’s getting offered is b prospect and late 1st rounders then why not hold on to him. I’m not delusional thinking he’s gonna bring in a haul but I’m not gonna give him away for peanuts either.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not sure I see why the Preds wouldn't have wanted to keep him? They shopped him at the 2023 draft in an effort to move up to try to secure a top center prospect, which was perceived as a bigger organizational need. But they weren't firesaling him or anything. Meanwhile, they had a good plan in place for him to continue to work on the technical flaws in his game under the tutelage of one of the most renowned goalie coaches in the world for the upcoming season. And then past that of course they would have loved to see him improve, step up and seize an NHL spot, become Saros' backup, and ideally just keep on progressing to a point where he challenged Saros for the #1 job.

That was the plan. I don't know how "long term" you can really make that, because past a certain point things just get too fuzzy. It depends on Askarov actually becoming good enough to meet those targets, and nobody can say today if he ever would. But for sure, the Preds would rather be trading him 3 or 4 years years from now once he had already shown the needed progress along that path, rather today when he's still a huge question mark.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm not sure I see why the Preds wouldn't have wanted to keep him? They shopped him at the 2023 draft in an effort to move up to try to secure a top center prospect, which was perceived as a bigger organizational need. But they weren't firesaling him or anything. Meanwhile, they had a good plan in place for him to continue to work on the technical flaws in his game under the tutelage of one of the most renowned goalie coaches in the world for the upcoming season. And then past that of course they would have loved to see him improve, step up and seize an NHL spot, become Saros' backup, and ideally just keep on progressing to a point where he challenged Saros for the #1 job.

That was the plan. I don't know how "long term" you can really make that, because past a certain point things just get too fuzzy. It depends on Askarov actually becoming good enough to meet those targets, and nobody can say today if he ever would. But for sure, the Preds would rather be trading him 3 or 4 years years from now once he had already shown the needed progress along that path, rather today when he's still a huge question mark.

I'm sure the Preds do want to keep him. If he puts everything together and reaches his potential, he could be a solid starter for years. But, they also have Saros, who is one of the better goalies in the NHL today and is signed for the next 9 years, so Askarov is a logical trade chip.

And that plan relies pretty heavily on Askarov being willing to put in the time in the AHL, which he's apparently not. He's asked for a trade, claims he won't report to the AHL, and suspending him if that happens doesn't seem to benefit anyone involved. So, while it may not be part of the original plan, trading him for the best return they can get doesn't seem like the worst option, given where things stand today.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Askarov has another year on his NHL contract, he’s not going to the KHL this year unless that’s what the Preds want him to do. He can’t just sign a contract with the KHL in the face of his NHL contract. Unlike your suggestion that the KHL “don’t give a damn about any NHL agreement”, the last decade plus of relations between the leagues proves otherwise. When he’s a free agent next summer, all bets are off, which is the whole bloody point of free agency. He won’t have freedom of movement in the NHL but he has freedom outside of it.

McLeod and Dube were unrestricted free agents so they could sign with whoever the hell they wanted to sign with, in whatever league they want to sign in. Just like every single unrestricted free agent in history.
We'll agree to disagree. If he tells the Preds he has decided that he no longer wants to live in North America, that he wants to live, play and be with his family for the rest of his life in Russia, what can they do? He can find a way to break his NHL contract, through lawyers if need be. I know it was long ago but Radulov did, and then when all was forgotten and forgiven, he returned to North America and eventually signed for significant money.

The Rusians don't care about any NHL/KHL agreement, do you think they care when they are banned from all International events by the IIHF, World Juniors, IOC and the NHL? The NHL is not even making a Russian team for the In-Season International Cup this year, a pure slap in the face to Putin and the Russians.

And the comments by @Porter Stoutheart that KHL teams won't value or want him, have you seen the top goalies in the KHL, Zach Fucale and a whole bunch of nobodies are top ten: KHL Goalie Stats 2023-2024

He would get paid well in Russia, he would be highly coveted.

My point on McLean and Dube was not that they had contracts, it was the point that the Russians don't give a crap on who they bring in, a mass murderer would be fine as long as he has a good one timer.

Anyways, respect you and @Porter Stoutheart but I respectfully disagree.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gone are the old days when millionaire/billionaire owners screwed their players at will in a system that was one step short of slavery. Glad to see Askarov say f*** you... I'm not accepting this bullshit.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Askarov’s goalie coach back in Russia is now the Canucks goalie coach as of today. With the Demko uncertainty, I could totally see us being interested in Askarov if the price makes sense.

Reactions: Canucks LB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad