Proposal: Askarov for Savioe (too soon)

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'd probably decline based on contract term. With Drai and Bouchard needing new deals after this year, would also be difficult to fit in Askarov's deal. Stuart and Pickard are both signed for 2 more seasons.

Big Wood

Mar 29, 2023
Personally, I wouldn’t do it. Skinner should be a good one as he continues to gain experience and polish his game.

Savoie could be strong depth on an ELC which the Oilers will desperately need in the near future
Savoie will be hurt before training camp. Better make the trade today..

• Haha
Reactions: BB79

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
We don't really need Askarov. Great prospect, but we have our young starter, we signed our inexpensive backup, and we have a good prospect who we want to play and develop in the AHL already. We aren't the best home for Askarov.

Maybe the Leafs...
Skinner is Ufa in two years and askarov looks to be the opposite of him with the agility of a bobrovski I think it's naive to say we aren't the best spot for him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Skinner is Ufa in two years and askarov looks to be the opposite of him with the agility of a bobrovski I think it's naive to say we aren't the best spot for him.
I think it's naive to say we are the best spot for him. Rodrigue has been tracking well, and next year we will likely run Skinner - Rodrigue as our duo, signing one of them to be our goalie of the future. Trading for Askarov derails Rodrigue.

The only way Skinner leaves as a UFA is if he asks for more than we can afford, and so far he hasn't earned that. And there is no guarantee that we could afford Askarov long term either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think it really checks out for Edmonton. The "value" might kind of make sense in a vacuum...but i don't think the timeline is right.

Savoie has the potential to make an NHL impact right in the Oilers window as a high upside winger for McDavey/Draisaitl on an ELC which is just invaluable to their cap situation.

Askarov might become their starting goaltender in a couple years...but they're sort of "ride or die" with Skinner for the time being. And a cheap high upside backup goaltender probably a year from now doesn't really hold the same weight in terms of gunning for a Cup on McDavid's current contract.

Unless you think Askarov is a lot closer to an NHL starting gig than that, like "almost immediate", and are firmly convinced of that and willing to stake a lot on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad