Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
We knew he was a starter. We didn't know he was a "carry the team" goalie like Rinne yet. For all we knew Saros was going to be decent but not spectacular and this team historically needs an awesome goaltender to be successful. So I was cool with the pick when it happened
I think if Saros was 6’3” we would not have taken Askarov. We were all nervous about his height. Some still are.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think if Saros was 6’3” we would not have taken Askarov. We were all nervous about his height. Some still are.
Im more nervous about how his game will age due to his reliance on speed/agility due to his lack of height. 19-20 season was the beginning of Johansen's decline and the end of Turris. We really couldve used a center pick there.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Since I brought up the overcooking thing I guess I should clarify but I don’t think Askarov himself is overcooked. My concern is that we’re building a culture where guys feel like they won't get the chance even if they've earned it. Look at Stastney last year for example. He should have been in the NHL all season but we played guys who were worse (Barrie, Schenn, even Carrier and Fabbro I'd argue) ahead of him because his waiver status made him easier to send down. Because of that instead of getting a nice contract this offseason he's on a two-way once again. I can completely see how someone like Askarov can look at that situation and realize it isn't actually a meritocracy and if he has no real path to the NHL he'd rather get out of here ASAP. Then add in the Tolvanen, Afanasyev, Tomasino, Parsinnen situations and I think it's clear to see why a young guy feels the team doesn't do a great job of developing players. That doesn't even get into the fact that most other teams give their highly drafted goalies opportunities that they haven't necessarily "earned".

Also, it's all well and good to say well if Askarov wants to be the backup all he has to do is beat out Wedgewood but I don't really believe that's an option. You don't sign Wedgewood to a contract above the buriable limit for two years on a cap strapped team and then send him down. It also flies in the face of the "organizational depth" philosophy we always seem to have that prefers to send down waiver exempt guys rather than risk losing guys to waivers.
This. People saying that "well, he should just come into camp and beat out Wedgewood". There's a snowball's chance in hell this organization would let anyone go through waivers rather than sending down the waiver-exempt player. We've all seen it.

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
At the point of the 2020 draft we were definitely far more secure in goal in the future than we were with our forward prospects. Keep in mind that we also had Ingram in the mix coming off of a very strong season in Milwaukee at that point too. If memory serves the rationale was that Askarov was such a good prospect that we had to draft him rather than draft for positional need.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
This. People saying that "well, he should just come into camp and beat out Wedgewood". There's a snowball's chance in hell this organization would let anyone go through waivers rather than sending down the waiver-exempt player. We've all seen it.
It's true. But it's also an additive process. If he came to camp, got a shutout every game, and Wedgewood stunk out the joint... it probably still wouldn't have changed the final decision right on cut day in October.

But... it would have planted a seed. Askarov absolutely would have had a callup this coming season, regardless. But if he had just killed Wedgewood in camp, stood on his head in Milwaukee, stood on his head in his callup... I don't believe the Preds would go too far out of their way to worry about the extra $350k on Wedgewood's contract. At some point, they would do the switch for the good of the team and staying competitive. Askarov could still have stolen that job.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
WRT Wedgewood...

I see his contract a bit different i guess. 1.5 million is less than what we paid Lankinen. He is older than Lankinen and his SV% last season was worse than Lankinen. Maybe Lankinen just priced himself out but why go a cheap 2 year contract with a lesser backup if it were not to give Askarov an actual shot at beating him out?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
At the point of the 2020 draft we were definitely far more secure in goal in the future than we were with our forward prospects. Keep in mind that we also had Ingram in the mix coming off of a very strong season in Milwaukee at that point too. If memory serves the rationale was that Askarov was such a good prospect that we had to draft him rather than draft for positional need.
Somewhere on here I ranted about the pick and how I wanted Seth Jarvis. Others were on Lundell. We were already revisiting those picks even before this stunt. It's sad it might be even worse than we thought. :(

WRT Wedgewood...

I see his contract a bit different i guess. 1.5 million is less than what we paid Lankinen. He is older than Lankinen and his SV% last season was worse than Lankinen. Maybe Lankinen just priced himself out but why go a cheap 2 year contract with a lesser backup if it were not to give Askarov an actual shot at beating him out?
Yes, we needed an insurance policy regardless. It's pretty clear the Preds don't believe Askarov is optimally ready. We needed an insurance policy no matter what, and Wedgewood represents only $350k above the minor league burying limit.

Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Completely forgot about Ingram's .933 sv% in 33 AHL games that 19-20 season. Similarly, we lost him to waivers because we didnt want to let him be the backup and signed Lankinen.

Somewhere on here I ranted about the pick and how I wanted Seth Jarvis. Others were on Lundell. We were already revisiting those picks even before this stunt. It's sad it might be even worse than we thought. :(

Yes, we needed an insurance policy regardless. It's pretty clear the Preds don't believe Askarov is optimally ready. We needed an insurance policy no matter what, and Wedgewood represents only $350k above the minor league burying limit.
Honestly ... optimally Askarov should probably get 40 AHL 10 or so NHL starts this season bouncing up to fill in every now and then. A pure backup load of 20 NHL games over the entire season really isnt enough to keep him fresh/sharp/developing.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I guess the flipside of this is that Jarvis and Lundell probably don't become the same players they have if they were in our org. Jarvis spent most of his first season on a line with Aho and Lundell on a line with Reinhart. Here they probably get put with McCarron and Kunin or something if they even are in the NHL at all.

Completely forgot about Ingram's .933 sv% in 33 AHL games that 19-20 season. Similarly, we lost him to waivers because we didnt want to let him be the backup and signed Lankinen.
Which is exactly why I feel how I do about the Wedgewood-Askarov situation. Ingram was probably our best player in the playoffs in 21-22 and then got waived to keep Lankinen coming off of a pretty crappy season. Different GM but I don't think our philosophy with unproven players versus vets has really changed that much.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trtoz has stated he thought Askarov needed another year in Milwaukee, so signing Wedgewood wasn't surprising. Frankly I think the 2nd year was just to get the AAV down. I think Askarov and Wedgewood were expected to swap spots next season.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I guess the flipside of this is that Jarvis and Lundell probably don't become the same players they have if they were in our org. Jarvis spent most of his first season on a line with Aho and Lundell on a line with Reinhart. Here they probably get put with McCarron and Kunin or something if they even are in the NHL at all.

Which is exactly why I feel how I do about the Wedgewood-Askarov situation. Ingram was probably our best player in the playoffs in 21-22 and then got waived to keep Lankinen coming off of a pretty crappy season. Different GM but I don't think our philosophy with unproven players versus vets has really changed that much.
Lankinen was signed to a 1 yr. 1.5 million dollar contract that wouldve been perfectly waivable as well. I like Lankinen but we went with known mediocrity over unknown potential. Judging how things have worked out for Ingram... i think we chose wrong.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Trtoz has stated he thought Askarov needed another year in Milwaukee, so signing Wedgewood wasn't surprising. Frankly I think the 2nd year was just to get the AAV down. I think Askarov and Wedgewood were expected to swap spots next season.
Yeah, you probably needed to offer the 2nd year just to be sure you got a guy. Lankinen also was probably looking for a 2nd year. (Or more). But on July 1st when the fur is flying everywhere, you put your offers on the table and things happen fast. Trotz couldn't take a chance on not ending up with a backup.

Lankinen was signed to a 1 yr. 1.5 million dollar contract that wouldve been perfectly waivable as well. I like Lankinen but we went with known mediocrity over unknown potential. Judging how things have worked out for Ingram... i think we chose wrong.
We obviously chose wrong in terms of talent. But I guess there was all the off-ice stuff lingering with Ingram, maybe it helped him a lot to have a fresh start and some more open opportunity than he might have received here. :dunno:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Interesting that Trotz signed Wedgewood for 2 years. I think that was the dagger in this entire situation. Askarov by most accounts needs another year playing in the AHL to further develop. Sitting on the bench behind Saros won't get him enough games to fully develop. So the option is go down and play AHL for the next season then what? Keep in mind Askarov is making $172,500 in the AHL. If he is on the bench in the NHL he is making $1.1M - that's a massive difference for a 23 year old.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
When Trotz gave Saros his deal, Askarov was blocked from being a #1 for 7 years. In 7 years, he'll be 29. Trotz knew all this and should have moved Askarov to the highest bidder before the Saros deal went public. Agree or disagree with the choice; it's undeniable Askarov's trade value decreased post-Saros deal because buyers knew the Preds would eventually have to move him.

Askarov was a 1st round pick. He views himself as a #1 goalie. He won't stay in an organization where the best he can do is be a backup.

His "demand" appears emotional and uppity for a guy who hasn't proven himself, but he sees himself differently than the organization sees him. He was a Poile guy, and we see Barry methodically de-emphasize Poile draft picks.

The minor leagues are about developing players, not winning Cups. Benching him in two consecutive playoff series was a mistake. Let him play it out. If he fails, then you deal with the reality. Pulling him after one or two bad games is more about winning than developing your top draftees.

I'm sure he wasn't feeling the love in Milwaukee, and certainly, Trotz taking over sealed the deal. Barry is not big on cultural diversity. Askarov is flamboyant. He has a personality. Barry prefers stoic Canadian types and not Russians (see Rads). It works with Russian stars like Ovi because they are established. I can't think of a Russian prospect Trotz ever developed from Scratch. If I'm wrong, I'' take it back.

For Pred fans, this is sad. We were sold a bill of goods on Askarov and watched him develop into a very good goalie in Milwaukee sans the playoffs. We've had our fill of prospects who fall sort for whatever reason. Askarov, like Ingram before him, could not be trusted to develop into #1 goalies.

It's now Saros or Bust.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Wasn't there options when Tolvanen was sent down?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Wasn't there options when Tolvanen was sent down?
There were options, including IR ones. But that's not really the case here.

A better example would be what they would have done with Stastney had magical Cap space from heaven not appeared. I think we all agree that Stastney has proven he's ready for The Show. But faced with a Cap situation, and with Stastney being waiver exempt, it would not have surprised me one bit to have seen him sent back to Milwaukee.

Askarov I think it doesn't really matter. He just needs more work in the minors, period.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
When Trotz gave Saros his deal, Askarov was blocked from being a #1 for 7 years. In 7 years, he'll be 29. Trotz knew all this and should have moved Askarov to the highest bidder before the Saros deal went public. Agree or disagree with the choice; it's undeniable Askarov's trade value decreased post-Saros deal because buyers knew the Preds would eventually have to move him.
I just think it's a self-imposed mental mistake to think you're "blocked" for 7 years. Come on. For one thing, he'd be a UFA at 27. For another, there will be an Expansion draft before that too. And then starting next season he'd be eligible to receive RFA offer sheets. He's not "blocked" at all. He is panicking for absolutely no reason at all.

Askarov was a 1st round pick. He views himself as a #1 goalie. He won't stay in an organization where the best he can do is be a backup.

His "demand" appears emotional and uppity for a guy who hasn't proven himself, but he sees himself differently than the organization sees him. He was a Poile guy, and we see Barry methodically de-emphasize Poile draft picks.

The minor leagues are about developing players, not winning Cups. Benching him in two consecutive playoff series was a mistake. Let him play it out. If he fails, then you deal with the reality. Pulling him after one or two bad games is more about winning than developing your top draftees.
I don't know... we were down in 1st round playoff series... if we go out in 3 games, then we don't get to see a lot of other prospects take the nice steps that they did. L'Heureux had a great playoffs. So did Svechkov coming back off injury. Ufko stepped in and was amazing. I wouldn't give that all up just to ride out Askarov's issues.

I think I posted in this year's playoffs about needing to just ride it out with Askarov. But I was proven wrong, and I freely admit that. We got through the first round thanks to the switch to Grosenick. And it really helped a lot of our other prospects develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armourboy

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
so on Twitter, there was somebody spitting off about Chicago trying to trade for Askarov. I looked at the roster and I said the only thing they would have to offer is by the name of Connor.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
There were options, including IR ones. But that's not really the case here.

A better example would be what they would have done with Stastney had magical Cap space from heaven not appeared. I think we all agree that Stastney has proven he's ready for The Show. But faced with a Cap situation, and with Stastney being waiver exempt, it would not have surprised me one bit to have seen him sent back to Milwaukee.

Askarov I think it doesn't really matter. He just needs more work in the minors, period.
He needs more work and he isn't going to get that work sitting on the end of the bench watching Saros every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad