Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Knight was in the AHL purely for the off the ice stuff
Was he though? He hasn't exactly been particularly good at the NHL level, though not particularly bad either, just very mid. And I think another reason was he was waiver exempt still as of last year. He won't be as of this coming year if I'm not mistaken.

I was kind of expecting him to be bought out this offseason, and he still might be, as they're probably paying him too much and can use that significant cap hit off their books. I think that's one of the few questionable things Zito has done (other than a first for Chiarot) though it was somewhat understandable.

He was giving him that based off potential. And he was only a year removed from him stepping in and having a few really good games in the playoffs as a 19 year old at the time he was given that contract.

I think they were also operating under the assumption, as well as some real evidence that Bobrovsky was on the decline and that Knight would be the better goaltender of the two really soon.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dan Milstein: Yaroslav’s got potential to become an elite goalie in the future. Today, we’re working with his club exploring different possibilities. Yaroslav has proven to everyone he’s an NHL caliber goalie

Source: Мильштейн: Аскаров должен стать элитным вратарём в НХЛ

Based on his tone, I think we’re definitely going to see a trade
Nash could also tell him to pound sand for another year in the AHL like most goaltenders his age.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Montreal wants him.
Montreal doesn't have the assets...after their 20 or so untouchables are factored in.

High end center defense prospect.

Glass? Fabbro, isn't really a dump but could be available despite our need for defense.
I could see a scenario where we package or trade some mix of Novak, Fabbro, Tomasino, and Askarov and add those assets + space to try to land a better young 2nd line center (e.g. Zegras).

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Montreal doesn't have the assets...after their 20 or so untouchables are factored in.

I could see a scenario where we package or trade some mix of Novak, Fabbro, Tomasino, and Askarov and add those assets + space to try to land a better young 2nd line center (e.g. Zegras).
Gotta factor in those untouchables lol

I would love to see trotz go after zegras

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely sounds like the wants a trade. And that's understandable, since he's basically looking at a Luongo/Schneider situation at best.

But deals for totally unproven goaltenders are just so hard to do. That jump to the NHL level can be so big. Until they've actually established reasonable NHL credibility, they're a total mystery box that is really hard to get "full value" for.

Think the play here is to calm Askarov down, let him build up and establish his NHL value...and deal him at that point. Just like the Schneider situation. And if you're Nashville...hope that the Saros deal doesn't age nearly as badly.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Montreal does NOT want him unless he comes cheap.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would a contending team like the Avs want the 17th best goalie in the AHL last season? Askarov isn't even a high end AHLer right now. He needs time, not a new club. He's not an NHL goaltender.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ritchie? Ritchie + 1st?
lol Ritchie + 1st is a lot difference than Ritchie alone.

I understand the ask but not sure it makes sense for the Avs. They simply don't have anyone like Ritchie in the pipeline and he fits their window much better.

Nabokov + would make more sense, but I know the Preds aren't after other goalies. That's why I'm not sure they are good trading partners unfortunately.

Why would a contending team like the Avs want the 17th best goalie in the AHL last season? Askarov isn't even a high end AHLer right now. He needs time, not a new club. He's not an NHL goaltender.
Askarov *might* get a shot at a backup job on some teams. but most would probably keep him in the AHL to start.

It's more about after this season. Georgiev is UFA and who knows if Annunen can keep up his play. I don't think Annunen has starting potential but more of a platoon guy. Askarov gives them a potential long-term starter that will be cheap during their window, with a very high boom potential. Low-risk, high-reward deal for Colorado who doesn't like to spend much on goaltending and is probably sick of having below-average starters.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, Askarov isn't the 17th best AHL goaltender. :laugh: I don't think you factored in age in whatever kind of stats you looked up.
lol Ritchie + 1st is a lot difference than Ritchie alone.

I understand the ask but not sure it makes sense for the Avs. They simply don't have anyone like Ritchie in the pipeline and he fits their window much better.

Nabokov + would make more sense, but I know the Preds aren't after other goalies. That's why I'm not sure they are good trading partners unfortunately.

It would have to be a pretty big plus, no interest in Nabokov.

Reactions: adsfan

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Too bad for Nashville Saros and Askarov are only 7 years apart in age, that's a bit too close for a transition like they did with Rinne and Saros. I'm sure they'd love to keep him around for a few more years to establish himself as a good NHL goalie in a backup role and then trade him (or Saros if they can convince him to waive) for a haul, but sounds like that's not at all what Askarov wants - though maybe he should. NSH has a history of being a pretty good place for a goalie and he'd have great benchmark in Saros - if he could keep up with him teams would be lining up to get him as their starter. That actually doesn't seem like a bad plan for his career at all.

A 22-year old goalie with 3 NHL games appearing sorta grumpy in the media through his agent for being blocked for the starter spot is not that great of a look to be honest :D

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You can't be serious

Also what makes Askarov better than every other goalie prospect that served a few years in the AHL first?
King's are heading to a full tear down. Kempe has two years left & is getting paid after putting up 40 goals. Take a shot on a good goalie. What else is Blake going to do.

King's can retain too I'm sure. Just need management to be canned before January.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, Askarov isn't the 17th best AHL goaltender. :laugh: I don't think you factored in age in whatever kind of stats you looked up.

It would have to be a pretty big plus, no interest in Nabokov.
I mean he's empirically the 17th best goalie in the AHL. He's a heck of a lot worse than Dustin Wolf as an example who is the same age and was a 7th round pick. I'm trying to figure out what leverage Millstein thinks he has here. He's just not good enough to even come close to justifying a trade request. Heck he's an AHL backup for my Flames and they will be a bottom 5 team this season.

Reactions: JKG33

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They just signed saros long term - no point in holding onto Askarov
More than enough reason to hold onto him, just because Saros is signed for 9 years doesn't mean he is going to be good for 9 more years.

We have nothing else in the system past Askarov so if we trade him we are basically leaving ourselves dependent on getting other teams back ups or jettisoned starters if something were to happen to Saros.

Truth be told, we are better off holding onto him if we aren't getting something of quality back, even if he bails to Russia. He has the same agent as Afanasyev who bailed even after being traded.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad