As a new hockey fan, I've decided to follow the Avs. Am I in the right place for a friendly community?

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If you're looking to look back at the older generation of Avs lore:

YouTube videos for the old Cup wins (taken from the Championship VHS tapes):
1996 -
2001 -

And then the cursed year (2004):

Reactions: AFK

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Welcome to HFAvs. Always nice to get new fans. As for the Avs' community if you adhere to the next three rules you will be find:

1. If I post a comment it is the truth and a fact. You can take that to the bank.
1. If I agree with a poster he is obviously telling the truth and/or he knows what he is talking about.
2. If I disagree with a poster he is obviously lying and/or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Glad I can help. :sarcasm:

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
We also like talking about Pizza and the Colorado River. So whats your favorite Pizza topping?
I've never been to Colorado, but I've seen pictures of the mountains and rivers that habit it. Absolutely stunning. I like how the Avalanche incorporates them into the logo. Very classy.

As for my favorite pizza topping, I would have to pick bacon! I prefer turkey bacon, and last week I surprised my son by putting turkey bacon on top of a pizza without telling him, and he didn't even realize it wasn't pork! In fact, I think he liked it more! Imagine that!

- Alfonso

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm with it! I can look past a bad habit or two if he brings a fire to the team. Heck, he might even become my favorite player! No particular reason why, haha!

- Alfonso
Most fans here want him gone. I want him back because he’s just too important and too good of a player. Or if he’s not gonna be back, we need to replace him with someone similar to have a chance at winning another cup

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
The beautiful thing about being an Avs fan right now is you have 2 bonafide superstars in Nathan MacKinnon and Cale Makar to watch. Those are your go-tos for jersies right now.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Welcome!

Uh, NHL equivalent to Jayson Tatum? Well...you might see it as a copout as they were actual childhood friends who both won their respective sport's championship this year, but...my best stab at this is probably Matthew Tkachuk. Two-way player with a big, but not too big frame and elite offensive skills, who's not afraid to get in the dirty areas to make a play. No idea how mean a game Tatum plays or if he's a punk-ass like Tkachuk is. I am by no means an NBA expert (and honestly I'm not an NHL expert either) so take that with a shaker of salt.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Welcome @PorkBeans !
The Avalanche team is fun to root for. I started before they came to Denver and have survived through some lean years like many here but have been rewarded with 3 Stanley Cups.

As a whole the HFAvs group is:
  • pretty knowledgeable and active.
  • pretty welcoming.
  • generous with their sarcasm and hyperbole.
  • pessimistic even at the best times.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The rivalry is all but dead now...but historically for the Avs you should read up on the feud with the Detroit Redwings. One night in particular where things completely came unglued is now referred to as "Fight Night at the Joe" in reference to the Joe Lewis arena. ESPN also has a documentary on ESPN+ called "Unrivaled" which does a better job than most at discussing the full story behind all of the animosity but still leaves out some of the earlier shenanigans the Wings pulled on Avs players that we believe actually started the history of violence.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Welcome in, most everyone here is pretty friendly and welcoming except @NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS they hate everyone equally.

Other members to note:

@Bill Peckerskull is our resident Twitter aficionado
@roy is a legend is really a legend
And @Mighty Makar hates this f***en team

We’re a hyperbolic bunch, but it’s a good board
I love you all equally. Which means in a way I do hate you all equally.
I like frogs.
In polite company we say Francophone or French Canadian.

• Haha
Reactions: the_fan and Frenchy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yep this went about as I'd expect.

Also, if it's said in a GDT it's like Vegas, just leave it there. That's an experience you can't really get until October though.

I wouldn't suggest reading one unless you're already drunk. Oh, and about the last three pages of a GDT are where you want to start in the morning for entertaining game recaps.

~Welcome to hotel California, or the Matrix, haven't decided which one this place resembles more. 🤙

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad