As a new hockey fan, I've decided to follow the Avs. Am I in the right place for a friendly community?

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
Hello, my name is Alfonso and am currently a big basketball fan but I have a friend who likes Hockey and he told me the Colorado Avalanche are the classiest team in the league so I would like to become a fan. Is there a place I could go to learn about Avalanche lore? Please and thank you for any kind responses. I'm excited to learn more about this franchise.

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
What's up NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS. I appreciate the swift response. That would be a plus if the Avalanche have a friendly, understanding community to new people of the sport. How are we looking going forward to next season?

• Love
Reactions: Murzu

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Joe welcomes you.
1000037439.jpg

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Welcome brother guy. Understand that there's a lot of weird stuff that happens in here with people talking about Perbix and stuff. Still though, this is a delightful crew and I wouldn't trade them for anyone. As far as Avs lore is concerned, just look at our past 20 year draft history.

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
Welcome brother guy. Understand that there's a lot of weird stuff that happens in here with people talking about Perbix and stuff. Still though, this is a delightful crew and I wouldn't trade them for anyone. As far as Avs lore is concerned, just look at our past 20 year draft history.
Thank you for the kind welcome! :) I will look into our draft history. Any names that I should particularly pay attention to? Also if I am in the market for a jersey, who should I buy? I want to support the team any way I can. My son is a Cleveland Indian's fan but I'm trying to get him into Hockey as well, but he thinks it's the same sport as Soccer, which I do not allow in my house. I'm not sure how to convince him otherwise.

- Alfonso

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Thank you for the kind welcome! :) I will look into our draft history. Any names that I should particularly pay attention to? Also if I am in the market for a jersey, who should I buy? I want to support the team any way I can. My son is a Cleveland Indian's fan but I'm trying to get him into Hockey as well, but he thinks it's the same sport as Soccer, which I do not allow in my house. I'm not sure how to convince him otherwise.

- Alfonso

Purchase any jersey but either of the goalies or the idiot who's name shall not be spoken that wears #13. As far as the draft stuff is concerned, that was mostly in jest alluding to the fact that the Avs have drafted very poorly in the last 20 years.

Really as far as Avs lore is concerned, there's a bunch of stuff to look into, I would say the documentary "Saving Sakic" is really great because it starts from when the organization arrived in Denver and is about the franchise's biggest icon. I would also search about the 3 cup wins and some of the franchises biggest moments like: Roy trade, Bourque Trade, Forsberg draft pick acquired from Philly, Duchene cap, MacKinnon pick, Makar pick, and I'm sure I'm missing some other things.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hello, my name is Alfonso and am currently a big basketball fan but I have a friend who likes Hockey and he told me the Colorado Avalanche are the classiest team in the league so I would like to become a fan. Is there a place I could go to learn about Avalanche lore? Please and thank you for any kind responses. I'm excited to learn more about this franchise.
Just keep in mind that while most people are absolutely okay dabbling in hockey, there are rare examples of its awesomeness completely taking over the lives of fans. It can become an almost cult like obsession.

At least that's how I ended up here. :laugh:

Welcome aboard the train of fun. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it. The folks around here can be extremely helpful and friendly, but do realize that folks who spend all day on a hockey forum will have strong views and debates can get lively from time to time.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

- Alfonso
Colorado Avalanche forward Valerie Nichushkin was #6 in entire playoffs in scoring goals.

Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacGinnon was league MVP and accomplished singer using the rap name "Nate Dawg".

Colorado Avalanche goaltender Alexander "the Bulgarian Georgiev" Georgiev led all goalies in wins last year.

Good options to start. To me getting wins and scoring in playoffs mattered most so Georgiev and Nichushkin are good options.

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
Purchase any jersey but either of the goalies or the idiot who's name shall not be spoken that wears #13. As far as the draft stuff is concerned, that was mostly in jest alluding to the fact that the Avs have drafted very poorly in the last 20 years.

Really as far as Avs lore is concerned, there's a bunch of stuff to look into, I would say the documentary "Saking Sakic" is really great because it starts from when the organization arrived in Denver and is about the franchise's biggest icon. I would also search about the 3 cup wins and some of the franchises biggest moments like: Roy trade, Bourque Trade, Forsberg draft pick acquired from Philly, Duchene cap, MacKinnon pick, Makar pick, and I'm sure I'm missing some other things.
Are we in a bad goalie situation? And what's the story behind the poor draft picks?

- Alfonso

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Are we in a bad goalie situation? And what's the story behind the poor draft picks?

- Alfonso

Our goalies suck. The gist of it is that we are terrible at drafting but have excellent pro scouts and are good at trading for the most part. I would have to let someone more informed like @henchman21 explain why our drafting sucks now. It was good at the beginning but then fell apart after like the mid to late 2000's.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very impressed by the posting so far. A+ for effort easily. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- Who is your favourite basketball team?

- Who is your favourite basketball player currently?

- How much do you know about hockey?

- Do you live around an NHL/AHL/College team?

- What do you want to know more about the sport or Avs?

I can provide better answers with a little bit of background information from you Porky.

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
Very impressed by the posting so far. A+ for effort easily. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- Who is your favourite basketball team?

- Who is your favourite basketball player currently?

- How much do you know about hockey?

- Do you live around an NHL/AHL/College team?

- What do you want to know more about the sport or Avs?

I can provide better answers with a little bit of background information from you Porky.
Hello, S E P H. Thank you for the kind response. I will do my absolute best to answer your questions. I live in England so there for don't live close to any of these teams, so I go off of teams that my friends enjoy to follow-which is what brought me here to begin with.

I am a lifelong Boston Celtics fan as of last month. I like our chances for next year as well.

My favourite basketball player would have to be Jayson Tatum. He is just absolutely lethal with the rock in his hands. Wow.

I don't know much about hockey- I know there are scuffles every now and then when two players do not agree on something, and I know your put the puck into the goal. I'm learning the ends and outs slowly, but wanted a team to follow before I REALLY dive in. So far everyone here seems welcoming, so I will make the Avs my favorite team. I like to follow success, and I believe I found a good home for it.

I would love to know more about both the sport and the Avs, but I don't want to come off as completely clueless. My son likes the Cleveland Indians for some reason and isn't a fan of the Guardian's name switch. Sometimes I just want to knock him aside the head. Haha!

I Appreciate all of the swift responses. Please understand that I am still learning so some lingo may seem foreign to me, so I apologize if I ask stupid questions.

- Alfonso

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
I have a mint game worn Nuchiskin jersey. I'll sell it to you for a good deal. There are some weird white stains on it, thus the deal.
Hello, The Moops. I might be interested in the jersey you have mentioned. Are the 'weird white' stains removable? What were they? If I am able to wash it out I wouldn't mind the work if it's a good deal. Could you please elaborate more? I'm guessing Nuchiskin is an Avs legend? I've seen some of the Avs jerseys and I really like the color scheme. If the white spots are in a place that's not too obvious, I may be able to over look them. I just don't want my son to make fun of me for buying a dirty jersey! Haha!

- Alfonso

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Hello, The Moops. I might be interested in the jersey you have mentioned. Are the 'weird white' stains removable? What were they? If I am able to wash it out I wouldn't mind the work if it's a good deal. Could you please elaborate more? I'm guessing Nuchiskin is an Avs legend? I've seen some of the Avs jerseys and I really like the color scheme. If the white spots are in a place that's not too obvious, I may be able to over look them. I just don't want my son to make fun of me for buying a dirty jersey! Haha!

- Alfonso
He's messing with you. Nichushkin got caught for using drugs like 3 times in the last 2 years and he's currently suspended until mid November at the earliest. The white stains he's referring to is a joke about Nichushkins cocaine use.

PorkBeans

Jul 12, 2024
Whales
He's messing with you. Nichushkin got caught for using drugs like 3 times in the last 2 years and he's currently suspended until mid November at the earliest. The white stains he's referring to is a joke about Nichushkins cocaine use.
Cocaine???? LOL! Man I had my heyday myself back when I was younger. Do you think cocaine use is rampant in hockey? I'm guessing the NHL actively checks for it?

Also, is Nichushkin a valuable asset to the team? I'll be on the lookout for him! Hopefully he won't be doing nose beers before the matches! Haha! I hope my son doesn't read this!

- Alfonso

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hello, S E P H. Thank you for the kind response. I will do my absolute best to answer your questions. I live in England so there for don't live close to any of these teams, so I go off of teams that my friends enjoy to follow-which is what brought me here to begin with.

I am a lifelong Boston Celtics fan as of last month. I like our chances for next year as well.

My favourite basketball player would have to be Jayson Tatum. He is just absolutely lethal with the rock in his hands. Wow.

I don't know much about hockey- I know there are scuffles every now and then when two players do not agree on something, and I know your put the puck into the goal. I'm learning the ends and outs slowly, but wanted a team to follow before I REALLY dive in. So far everyone here seems welcoming, so I will make the Avs my favorite team. I like to follow success, and I believe I found a good home for it.

I would love to know more about both the sport and the Avs, but I don't want to come off as completely clueless. My son likes the Cleveland Indians for some reason and isn't a fan of the Guardian's name switch. Sometimes I just want to knock him aside the head. Haha!

I Appreciate all of the swift responses. Please understand that I am still learning so some lingo may seem foreign to me, so I apologize if I ask stupid questions.

- Alfonso
Ah in England. Well if you're a Gooner everything is okay, if your's a Spurs fan GTFO lol.

- So, Avs are very similar to the Denver Nuggets. Some top talent in the league with MacKinnon and Makar rivaling Jokic and Murray..but some depth issues. Or you could say we are like two years ago version of Liverpool, but there is a chance we could be last year's version of Chelsea this upcoming season.

- Here are some videos since you're brand new to the sport. Our fanbase is pretty chill, but warning there WILL be gatekeepers for the sport and most come from the elite teams like the O6/Canada/NE region (don't worry about them)

- The best advice is to go see a game live, that's why I asked if you're around a team. Try and get to a game because you will appreciate it more regardless of location. College hockey, NHL, and AHL are all fairly talented. England definitely has teams around in the EIHL or National ice <br>hockey league . But I understand if you live in like the midlands since I don't think they have many teams. We have some blokes from the UK that are Avs fans here!

- Another way to quickly get acclimated is to play NHL games like EA Sports NHL 2024, but the game isn't very good. If it's your first time though, it should suffice. If you're not a gamer it will probably be a bit slower in learning who's good, who's bad, who's overrated, and who's underrated. Highlight packages are another possible one.

I also highly recommend viewing a Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane, and Nikita Zadorov highlight package. They all bring very different attributes to the sport.

- Someone might be able to help you with a Jayson Tatum comparison in the NHL. Going to quote @Pokecheque @katfude @dahrougem2 @famicommander as my basketball brethren as I am a bit clueless to the sport.

- You're joining in a pretty down year, not going to lie. We won the Cup in 2022, which is why people recommend checking out those vids. However, we have had some cap problems as the NHL has a strict cap (and not a soft cap like the NBA) so we lost a lot of depth from that team. We also lost our captain, Gabriel Landeskog to an injury that required the same procedure that Lozano Ball got. We don't know if he will ever play again long-term, but he will try to play this season. We also lost our beast power forward in Valeri Nichushkin to a drug problem where he was suspended for six months. I am not sure what else to say because his story is wild and has gotten into similar issues in the past. You could write a book on Nichushkin at this point lol.

- We are also a pretty injury-prone team and won the Cup with 3-4 major injuries missing some great players. Our 2022 win was very dominant, we were clearly the best team in the league.

- Players to watch on the Avs: MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Toews, Mittelstadt, and Lehkonen.

- Prospects to watch for the Avs: Cal Ritchie, Sean Behrens, Mikhail Gulyayev, Ilya Nabokov.

- DEFINITELY YouTube Colorado Avalanche vs Detroit Red Wings, it was the '90s version of the LA Lakers vs Boston Celitcs or LA Lakers vs San Antonio Spurs...but with fights. Or in UK terms, Celtic vs Rangers or Man United vs LFC or Milwall vs West Ham United.

- The teams we hate sort of vary nowadays since Red Wings moved to the Eastern Conference. I would say that most Av fans on this board immensely dislike the Edmonton Oilers, but more for fans than their actual team. We have more intense rivalries with the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild with their actual teams as of now. We also have had some big run-ins with the Arizona Coyotes, which moved to become the Utah Hockey Club (this could expand if Utah becomes better).

- If you ever want to get into it and start playing, I recommend this bloke.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad