Around the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think like we just did with Askarov GMs should take a very hard line approach with any players who are coming in hot with demands that don't really fit the team plan/budget. Evan Bouchard is no special player. There are a handful of special players in the league who you do make an exception for, but he's not one of them. He's basically Ryan Ellis landing on a team with a magical PP and 1-2 franchise duo in McDavid/Draisatl, but he's not the guy who makes things tick there. So you hardball him all day, and let him go if you need to. There are plenty of offense-only guys who will slot onto that team and pile up points. Heck, Tyson Barrie did! And we know just how good he is. I think Edmonton could take a "pass" on this guy if it ever really came to that. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah and then I look at him and say, " making one mistake doesn't mean we should make another ". I'm fine with paying guys, but I'd sure as heck want to make sure they had shown me over multiple years before I did it.

Taking a chance on a guy and locking them up early is generally about saving money in the long term, aka Ekholm. They are locking him up early and seeing no benefit, its all gamble.

Speaking of Ekholm, if I'm giving a Dman that I'd want to feel real comfortable knowing he is the 1D and not the guy strapped to him. We learned a long time ago, Ekholm can damn near make anyone look good.
Ekholm is the perfect partner for a guy like Bouchard.

Unfortunately for Edmonton, theyre in the same position now as they were when they extended Nurse. They dont have anyone to replace him with near or long term. Yes, a good portion of his production is because he plays with guys like McDavid and Draisaitl. Yes, a stable dman like ekholm is a big part of why he can play the way he does. But he has a strong case to argue in arbitration that he is worth more than nurse. On the ice more than Nurse, produces more than nurse, etc.

Would i want to pay him that much? No

But he will have a strong case and edmonton risks him asking for even more if he has another year like last

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I think like we just did with Askarov GMs should take a very hard line approach with any players who are coming in hot with demands that don't really fit the team plan/budget. Evan Bouchard is no special player. There are a handful of special players in the league who you do make an exception for, but he's not one of them. He's basically Ryan Ellis landing on a team with a magical PP and 1-2 franchise duo in McDavid/Draisatl, but he's not the guy who makes things tick there. So you hardball him all day, and let him go if you need to. There are plenty of offense-only guys who will slot onto that team and pile up points. Heck, Tyson Barrie did! And we know just how good he is. I think Edmonton could take a "pass" on this guy if it ever really came to that. :dunno:
Bouchard ain't Tyson Barrie, not even close. For one he was much better defensively this past season than in previous years. But more importantly Barrie (and many other offensive d-men) was essentially a PP guy who you hoped to survive with at 5v5. Bouchard drives possession very well both with and away from McDavid and Draisaitl. The best defense is playing in the other team's zone, and Bouchard excels at that.

He was also incredible in the playoffs, which has bitten teams before when giving out big contracts, but nonetheless helps his case.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Bouchard ain't Tyson Barrie, not even close. For one he was much better defensively this past season than in previous years. But more importantly Barrie (and many other offensive d-men) was essentially a PP guy who you hoped to survive with at 5v5. Bouchard drives possession very well both with and away from McDavid and Draisaitl. The best defense is playing in the other team's zone, and Bouchard excels at that.

He was also incredible in the playoffs, which has bitten teams before when giving out big contracts, but nonetheless helps his case.
So then that's the other thing... let these guys play it out and prove themselves. If they have one big year, and in Bouchard's case it's even better because he's still just RFA... then let them put that year up again. No need to go extending him today based on what might have been his best ever season or a statistical anomaly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad