Around the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@reporterchris: The 2016 World Cup format -- with 23-and-under team and European all-stars -- is expected to be a one-off. Solely national teams in 2020.

@FriedgeHNIC: In addition to 2016 World Cup, NHL plans a 2020 event with larger qualifying beginning in 2019 for some of the smaller nations.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@BuffNewsVogl: Gary Bettman says drop in Canadian dollar will not make cap "fall off a cliff." Range will be $71.7 million to $73 million

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
@BuffNewsVogl: Gary Bettman says drop in Canadian dollar will not make cap "fall off a cliff." Range will be $71.7 million to $73 million

I smell BS. Between the gate and Canadian TV contracts that is (80% dollar x 25% league wide revenue) a 10% drop in league wide revenue.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I smell BS. Between the gate and Canadian TV contracts that is (80% dollar x 25% league wide revenue) a 10% drop in league wide revenue.

I'd bet the TV contract is in US dollars

Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the regional deals

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm not following the BS charge. The league has nothing to gain by fudging the numbers and teams rely on the calculations to plan for the future.

I also don't think your following how they are making the projections. The bulk of league wide revenues are already known. The only thing the CAD can impact going forward is money made on single game ticket sales for the rest of the year, playoff ticket sales and concessions in the Canadian markets.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
With the World Cup of Hockey pegged for Toronto I wonder if they would play most or all of the games in Europe in 2018 to help "grow the global brand" as Gary and the other NHL brass love to say.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

American markets are not suffering the same devaluing + standard league growth is offsetting a good portion of the impact

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Mike Richards is on waivers per Friedman

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m1 minute ago
Hearing Mike Richards of LA is on waivers today. Wow.
0 replies 33 retweets 1 favorite

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo

My how a star has fallen.

Edit: Wow didn't realize he only had 15 points. Has he been hurt?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

We should grab him, good mentor for young kids, insulate center position so we're not all young down the middle for next year. Big cap hit when other players are coming off the books (ie. Mez)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We should grab him, good mentor for young kids, insulate center position so we're not all young down the middle for next year. Big cap hit when other players are coming off the books (ie. Mez)

yea... i would totally be on board with picking him up , i'm not even worried about the remaining 5 years at 5.75, i really don't think it would be an issue.

my only concern... is the tank. Richards would at least stabilize a huge hole in the roster.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
5 years left after this year? Or 4 years?

Five years left after this season based on a non cap geek source

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/los-angeles-kings/mike-richards/

Ii really don't see cap space as an issue for at least the next 3 years of that contract... probably the whole thing.

In a couple years, a vet 3rd line center for 5.75... probably won't seem like that much, when top line players will be getting double that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I mean, the obvious tank move here is to let Edmonton claim him, right? That pretty much puts the nail in the Oilers-30th place coffin. They'll have then stabilized their 2C and 3C positions with Richards and Roy--Kitchener Rangers reunion!--and can slide Boyd Gordon down to 4C.

Five years and $22m left on Richards' deal after this season. Of course, the $5.75m cap hit remains. If you think he can be a 50-point player back in the weaker Eastern Conference, you have to think hard about it if you're Buffalo.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If we don't grab him I can see Harrington calling it a deliberate tank move. Which he wouldn't exactly be wrong but c'mon, shut up Harrington :laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Five years left after this season based on a non cap geek source

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/los-angeles-kings/mike-richards/

Ii really don't see cap space as an issue for at least the next 3 years of that contract... probably the whole thing.

In a couple years, a vet 3rd line center for 5.75... probably won't seem like that much.

I don't know what to think about it to be honest. He is only 29, I mean he should be able to be a 50 point player still in the eastern conference in the right situation . But if he sucks then you are screwed, I don't think he gets claimed but we be traded in the near future.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I mean, the obvious tank move here is to let Edmonton claim him, right? That pretty much puts the nail in the Oilers-30th place coffin. They'll have then stabilized their 2C and 3C positions with Richards and Roy--Kitchener Rangers reunion!--and can slide Boyd Gordon down to 4C.

Five years and $22m left on Richards' deal after this season. Of course, the $5.75m cap hit remains. If you think he can be a 50-point player back in the weaker Eastern Conference, you have to think hard about it if you're Buffalo.

His skating was never good, and it's the hinderance in his game today... i dont think he has a 50 pt future. But that doesn't mean I can't stomach a 35 pt 3rd line center who brings work ethic and some rings to the locker room and is over paid by 2 million in cap space for 5 more years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think I pass for right now... ensure the tank... and hope no one claims him.

LA is putting him on waivers because no one is willing to take on the full contract (if someone was, a trade would've been made)

Knowing that no one is willing to eat the whole contract right now, I wonder if GMTM could pass word that he'll take the entire contract in the offseason.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

LA is putting him on waivers because no one is willing to take on the full contract (if someone was, a trade would've been made)

Knowing that no one is willing to eat the whole contract right now, I wonder if GMTM could pass word that he'll take the entire contract in the offseason.

Or, if the Sabres can open up their 30th place "lead" to 8-10 pts before the deadline, the Kings can put him on waivers again and the Sabres will claim him then. The question for me is if we get McEichel--and even if we groom Reinhart/McEichel on wing for a year or two--is there a spot for Richards at that salary on this team in a few years? I suppose you can slide Girgensons to wing, but I like him at center and he'll be entering his prime years while Richards is in the twilight of his career. If he doesn't have a spot at center on this team in a few years, $5.75m in cap is steep for a winger with declining ability and/or a 4C.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
His skating was never good, and it's the hinderance in his game today... i dont think he has a 50 pt future. But that doesn't mean I can't stomach a 35 pt 3rd line center who brings work ethic and some rings to the locker room and is over paid by 2 million in cap space for 5 more years.

@CorsiHL · 9m 9 minutes ago
Just going to put this out there - 5v5 PTS/60 for this season:

Mike Richards: 1.27
Tyler Bozak: 1.25
David Clarkson: 1.24

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

This move doesn't relieve any cap hit for LA correct? If nobody picks him up that is.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

aside from Edm, Phx, Car

0% chance the yotes do, and I'm not worried about passing the Canes at all. I guess I just hope Edmonton claims him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad