Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Oh man if SJ cant sign him ....They are kinda stuck,they cant trade him east or we get a 1st rounder no later than 2022...That means they will only have teams in the west to deal with ,and Iam pretty sure many of them would love to put the screws to one DW

I don't think they would consider trading him at the deadline. The only reason that would have been a possibility would have been if they were out of the playoffs.

In the long run, the Sharks didn't give up much more than a really good rental goes for. A 1st, Norris, and Tierney is probably a pretty solid package for a rental. So that leaves Balcers, Demelo, and a 2nd.

Demelo (who went unqualified) at the time probably would have ended up on waivers or eventually traded for a 4th-6th rounder.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Here's a thought....

If the rumours of Sergachev+Foote++ being in a deal nixed by Melnyk are actually true (obviously grain of salt). There is probably room for the Lightning and Sharks to make a deal for Karlsson at the draft.

Why would they do it?
-If Karlsson is clear at the draft that he won't sign with the Sharks, it's only sensible that they might try to get something for his rights.
-The Lightning signing Karlsson on July 1st is incredibly complicated, because they have a lot of moving parts both cap wise, and with NTCs that kick in on July 1st. It'd be a lot easier for them to acquire and sign Karlsson before July 1st and address those moving parts all in one move.
-The Sharks can do a sign and trade, Karlsson can get 8 years. This is huge since Karlsson is 29 going on 30 in the first year of his deal, this means that 8th year provides Karlsson with some legitimate extra security.

Why don't the Lightning just sign Karlsson on July 1st?
-They don't get the 8th year which makes Karlsson more expensive. They don't have any assurance that a team won't come out of left field and offer Karlsson something absurd that makes him think twice about taking one of those Tampa Bay tax discount contracts. It puts them in a position of weakness when moving pieces like Callahan and JT Miller.

What would have to be involved in the deal?
-A main piece worth more than the 1st round pick the Sharks have to sacrifice to Senators in order to send Karlsson to an Eastern team. Sergachev?
-JT Miller and Ryan Callahan to the Sharks.
-ELC or cost controlled talent to Tampa.
-Karlsson being willing to take a discount (although taxes likely even it out) to play for Tampa. Erik Karlsson signed 8 years @ 9.5 million or less to Tampa (fit in with their salary structure).

Sergachev/Miller/Callahan/TBL 2020 2nd to SJS
Karlsson 8 year sign and trade/Sorensen/Lebanc to TBL
2021 Protected 1st+2019 2nd transfers to Ottawa

I'm assuming the 2nd would technically transfer since San Jose technically re-signs Karlsson. So out of this whole thing, Ottawa gets an additional 1st+2nd (we're assuming San Jose did not make the cup final).

Tampa Bay loses Sergachev who they were apparently willing to give up for Karlsson, they give San Jose a 2nd to make up for the one they are losing based on the re-sign condition with Ottawa, both sides swap Miller for Lebanc which since Lebanc is an RFA will help Tampa cap wise.

The way I see it, San Jose's protected 2021 1st+Callahan as a cap dump+Sorenson+8th year for Karlsson=Sergachev.

Miller and Lebanc offset each other and the swap is a necessary evil to work it out cap wise for Tampa. San Jose could flip Miller at the draft for picks if he doesn't fit their structure. Or alternatively, neither could be in the deal and Tampa could flip Miller and keep those picks.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Watching Zibanejad turning into the 1C we all hoped he would become in 2011 is pretty cool, happy for the kid

Hope the team has more patience with Logan Brown

Reactions: Sun God Nika

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
With LA's OT win, that leaves us 3 points from 30th, and therefore firmly in last place.

Congrats Colorado, you're getting a top-3 pick at the very least.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I hope Arizona makes the playoffs. Not a skilled team but they work hard, and Keller is really underrated.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Make that 9 goals, 15 points, and in on all of NYR's last 10 goals
According to Lee Versage he doesn’t score important goals, he gets a lot of empty net goals and goals that don’t matter and is too inconsistent.

Lee Versage says some dumb shit.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Can't you still get 4th overall ?

If we finish last, the Avalanche get 4th overall or better.

I'm not going to google it, but if I recall it might work out to something like almost equal chances at 4th/3rd/2nd/or 1st overall.

As a Sens fan, I'm already in the mindset that we've given them the 1st overall, it's over with, that's it. That way, I won't be irrationally annoyed for a week if it happens.

I really don't like the mythology of the Duchene trade, because Sakic completely mismanaged the situation. He had apparently turned down some extremely solid offers and painted himself into a corner. According to Friedman prior to Dorion bailing him out, Sakic was sweating. The guy got lucky, and now it seems like a lot of posters on HFboards have the mentality "see you guys were wrong for insulting Sakic for completely mismanaging this trade, it worked out in the end!". The end result doesn't always validate the process, so that bothers me.

Zibanejad trade isn't the worst trade. It at least made perfect sense at the time. Dorion's vision was win now, and to accomplish that his mission was to acquire veteran's who could help the team realize that vision at the expense of younger players who might be better a few years down the road. So he flipped Zibanejad who had tremendous potential but was called out for inconsistent effort by every one of his coaches (including Vigneault when he first went to New York) for a cost controlled playoff warrior who at the time was perceived to be an upgrade. Regardless of whether we were a contender or a bubble team, our entire window to do anything remotely close to winning was based around Karlsson's contract, which at the time of the Zibanejad trade had three years remaining.

Calling the trade the worst trade ever ignores that due to finances, and the dynamics of the situation, we were probably going to get Zibanejad on a 1 or 2 year deal prompted by arbitration, and then be in a position to lose him to free agency. He'd be in the UFA group with Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel where he'd be looking for a huge extension, or looking to be traded. If we trade him in this market, we probably end up with similar value back to what we ended up turning the Brassard trade into (even considering the high 2nd we originally gave up).

On paper, it's an awful trade. Looking at the Senators unique situation, I can see how it made sense.

Reactions: pzeeman

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'll never get tired of talking about Zibanejad's accomplishments on this board. Just another example of the clueless Sens front office valuing some fake "intangible" over skill. The guy was always going to take a while to bloom into the player he is today, but of course management didn't have the foresight for that and dumped him the first chance they got to bring back a local guy.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Zibanejad was moved because he was a "problem" (skilled and would cost money) in the "room" (crippling budget). Im happy he was able to move onto a stable organization, as a Sens fan I hope any and all skilled players move away ASAP as to not have their careers torpedoed here, they do not deserve it. Sucks for us fans, poor ownership going on 25 years now but at least it doesn't effect our personal income and careers.

Reactions: Icelevel

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I'll never get tired of talking about Zibanejad's accomplishments on this board. Just another example of the clueless Sens front office valuing some fake "intangible" over skill. The guy was always going to take a while to bloom into the player he is today, but of course management didn't have the foresight for that and dumped him the first chance they got to bring back a local guy.
Brassard was cheaper, Brassard just had his signing bonus paid, Zib was up for a raise. It had nothing to do with ability on the ice

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brassard was cheaper, Brassard just had his signing bonus paid, Zib was up for a raise. It had nothing to do with ability on the ice

Oh I know, but it's pretty clear Sens management also never thought Zib would get to this point. With a little bit of foresight they would have realized that paying a 1B center $5.35 million to put up near PPG numbers would have been a much better investment then Smith/Greening/ect (every other 3rd liner turned 1 year scorer).

It's insane to think of what our team could look like if Dorion didn't make any moves and just drafted well to insulate the team Murray had built. It was far from perfect, but we'd be in an infinitely better spot right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad