Around the NHL XLIII: Nervous Turkeys Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Most of my friends that are islander fans like the deal. They all see him as the poor mans Lucic signed at half the cap and less term. But I think they secretly like the deal BC it's one more move that could get Snow fired and Cappy by proxi.

My roommate is an Islander fan and he likes the deal. I don't understand why though. It's not like he has hidden his dislike of their management

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
With it now passing the 1/3 rd of the season mark, I think this could be a good time to take some educated guesses to who the playoff teams in our conference will be. Don't feel like doing the West at this time. If someone feels like doing it by all means go for it. The East tho is what we care about the most and so I'm going to do a quick anayis of where things are at.

Standings with GP and Wins in our Eastern conference

ATLANTIC

Montreal 27....39
Ottawa 27....34
Boston 26....32
Tampa 28....30
Detroit 28....29
Florida 28.....28
Buffalo 27.....26
Toronto 25....25

METRO

Rangers 29....39
Pens 27....37
Jackets 25....36
Caps 26....35
Flyers 29.....35
Devils 27.....30
Canes 27.....28
Isles 26.....27

From an overall perspective wiith 1/3 rd of the season gone, I think it's safe to say that we can't unequivocally say that any of the 16 teams has no chance to make the playoffs which is pretty remarkable seeing that normally at this time of the season, we can typically count at least 3-4 teams out of it.

That said, it obviously will be difficult for the Leafs, Sabres,Canes and yes the Islanders to ultimately make it to the dance.

A couple of more specific observations:

Columbus has incredibly 4 games in hand on us and are only 3 points behind. It's not out of the question to state that not only will they very very likely to make the playoffs for the 2nd time in their history, they shockingly have as good as chance to win the Metro as we do or either the Pens or Caps do. We all know the "experts" and even alot of us here on our board myself included didn't think we would be doing so well as we have been, but no one and I do mean no one expected Columbus to be this good this year.

So with that said if I break out the crystal ball and make a couple of predictions or two, I think it's safe to say that 4 teams for sure from the Metro will be making it to the playoffs. And it's really not a stretch either to say that in no necessary order I'd think we make it, Pens, Caps, Columbus are locks and I'd say that one of these two teams...either the Flyers or Devils(most likely Philly) will figure out a way to make it to the dance.

I know there are some who might think the Islanders still will make it but I digress. Even with them playing better the past 10 days, they still have alot of teams to have pass and seeing they won't be finishing in the top 3 in the Metro, they will have to also bypass the bubble teams in the Atlantic. I just think that their very **** poor start will end up haunting them come April and they will just miss out even if they get close to 90 points or so. Same goes with the Canes who tho improved, I don't think they will be able to muster up enough points to get in.

So that leaves 3 teams from the Atlantic to get in. Obviously Montreal will make it. Sure they are missing now two of their top 6 fwds for awhile in Galyenchuck and Desharnais, unlike last year when they blew it after a hot start, they have Price and he'll get them into the dance. Ottawa is no fluke as their goaltending with Anderson/Condon has been ridiculous and I don't see it all of a sudden not continuing to be steller especially since their new coach Boucher has implemented a system that emphasizes the trap and so they have enough offensive firepower to stay up there in the standings. The 3rd spot will be between the Lightning or the Bruins and I'm going to go out on the limb that with the goaltending in Tampa being so inconsistent and Stamkos gone for a very long time, the Bruins will nip them out for the 3rd seed in the Atlantic. I just don't think the Florida's, Red Wings, Leafs or Sabres of the world have what it takes to go dancing. Some of y'all may disagree but none of those teams have impressed me all that much and don't see them all of a sudden playing playoff caliber hockey.

So there you have it. My playoff teams will be the Rangers,Penguins, Capitals, Blue Jackets, Flyers most likely, Canadians, Senators and the Bruins.

Let it be written....Let it be done!....:nod:

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm picking Tampa to make it instead of Boston. Tampa will figure it out.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Said it a while back, CLB is the real deal. Werenski is a franchise level player.

Freakishly strong. They're doing this with Jones out.

They're crappy contracts are showing up every game. Saad has been underwhelming.

IMO it's NYR, PIT, CLB, WSH, PHI out of the metro for the playoffs.

TB, MTL, BOS out of the Atlantic.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Said it a while back, CLB is the real deal. Werenski is a franchise level player.

Freakishly strong. They're doing this with Jones out.

They're crappy contracts are showing up every game. Saad has been underwhelming.

IMO it's NYR, PIT, CLB, WSH, PHI out of the metro for the playoffs.

TB, MTL, BOS out of the Atlantic.

We are in agreement Mikos with all you said. Amazing how "brilliant minds" stick together except for Tampa...:nod:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Metro teams just keep winning and winning and winning.

Best division in the league this season.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
ruh roh...Crosby just got knocked into the board by some goon on Tampa. Looked to me like side of his face hit the boards with some pretty decent impact. Didn't look that terrible but with Crosby's history of concussions...etc, Pens aren't taking any chances and so he's in the locker room likely going thru this concussion protocol thing the NHL has going on.

We may think he's a whiner and a baby but he's good for the game. I hope and pray he doesn't have another concussion.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
ruh roh...Crosby just got knocked into the board by some goon on Tampa. Looked to me like side of his face hit the boards with some pretty decent impact. Didn't look that terrible but with Crosby's history of concussions...etc, Pens aren't taking any chances and so he's in the locker room likely going thru this concussion protocol thing the NHL has going on.

We may think he's a whiner and a baby but he's good for the game. I hope and pray he doesn't have another concussion.

He's great for the game because he's a great player. Still a whiner and a baby. And a fake tough guy.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Has nothing to do with the Pens anymore. NHL spotters yoinked him.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Remeber when the Avs were on the rise? 21 points at this point in the season is hilariously bad. Need to blow that team up and start over. MacKinnon never turned out to be a dominant player like a he was supposed to be.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Has nothing to do with the Pens anymore. NHL spotters yoinked him.

Crosby is back on the bench for beginning of 2nd period. Looks like he dodged a bullet. Gotta admit the guy has terrible luck with injuries and this year he's been so productive, it would be interesting to see how many goals and points he ended up with despite missing first 6 games.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Remeber when the Avs were on the rise? 21 points at this point in the season is hilariously bad. Need to blow that team up and start over. MacKinnon never turned out to be a dominant player like a he was supposed to be.

What happened to Landeskog too? Never hear anything about him anymore, or really anyone on that team for that matter.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
What happened to Landeskog too? Never hear anything about him anymore, or really anyone on that team for that matter.

Yeah and I'll add Duchene who is probably the best of them all. He's really not been all that productive this year. I'll blame Paddy Roy for the Avs troubles. Yeah that Roy, who I'm still butt sore about for shutting us down in the '86 ECF and ending that surprising yet gloriouis playoff run we went on that year

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
still early but TB doing us a solid so far up 3-1 on Pengies. This guy Druin of TB has some wheels...holy smokes. I knew he was fast but didn't realize he was that fast.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Man, why didn't anyone tell me McIlrath was playing tonight?!

Oh man, -8 in shot attempts on a night where FLA is +6. That's no bueno.

4:05 TOI total with 8 minutes left to go in the 2nd. I don't think the coach trusts him. Seems McI went from one situation to another of the same ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad