Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Twitter has been rough the past few days but seeing NYR losing their minds over Trouba is a bright spot

Are they roasting Trouba for not waiving, or roasting the NYR for giving him that contract/wanting to trade him?

The former.

I'm not sure why people are mad at the Rangers.

I get there are spousal considerations there, but in the end, every single player has family considerations. Part of the business where you get to play a game and make millions is that your contract can get moved.

As someone whose wife is a doctor, my career has been severely limited moving around for her job. And that's fine, I chose that. She chose to marry a NHL player. And yes, if Trouba gets moved, it'll be difficult. But, he's being paid 12 million over the next two years. They can afford two homes, child care, and frequent flights between NYC and wherever he is moved to while she finishes her residency.
Not ideal, sure. But its not some undue hardship considering the volume of dollars they receive.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

I get there are spousal considerations there, but in the end, every single player has family considerations. Part of the business where you get to play a game and make millions is that your contract can get moved.

As someone whose wife is a doctor, my career has been severely limited moving around for her job. And that's fine, I chose that. She chose to marry a NHL player. And yes, if Trouba gets moved, it'll be difficult. But, he's being paid 12 million over the next two years. They can afford two homes, child care, and frequent flights between NYC and wherever he is moved to while she finishes her residency.
Not ideal, sure. But its not some undue hardship considering the volume of dollars they receive.

It's equally part of the business that he doesn't need to move as much because he has a NTC for half the league.

Honestly the guy plays the game you'd teach a reckless psychopath. His disregard for fellow members of the NHLPA is disgusting. Given his wife's work he should know better, but I'm not gonna shit on the asshole for exercising a contract clause he negotiated.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

I'm guessing he'd probably only be ok with NJD or NYI so he stays in the area, maybe an argument could be made Philly is close enough since its what 90 minutes by train to visit on off days.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm guessing he'd probably only be ok with NJD or NYI so he stays in the area, maybe an argument could be made Philly is close enough since its what 90 minutes by train to visit on off days.

Most of the metro is a short, convenient flight to New York City. Hell, Buffalo is under an hour.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Let's not delude ourselves. Players willingly go to high tax locations that have a history of winning and are contenders. NYC. Toronto, LA, etc.

Players see dysfunction and inability to ice a competitive team in Buffalo. There's a reason why its understood across the league that Buffalo is on many no-trade lists.

It's not the taxes.
You pretty much nailed it. It did not help the Sabres when Ryan O'Rielly publicly said that the Sabres organization has a culture of losing. And the Jack Eichel medical saga going public probably made it worse. It will take a long time for the organization to lose that tag. The Sabres should of been a strong contender for the Stanley Cup, when Eichel was there, however, because of poor coaching and mismanagement, that never happened and fans are left with what it is today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad