Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He’s a very private guy, and that’s never going to change. He’s a dedicated father and grandfather. His kids are his whole life outside of hockey. But aside from family, he doesn’t really have a personal life. He golfs a little bit now—at least so I hear—but otherwise he is either at the rink or at home. Nothing in between.
When you were around Lou, just when you started to think things were getting a little more personal and intimate—and even those moments were few and far between—the curtain would always come down.

I think it's a case where Lou is guarded around people with big mouths.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He won't be worth $5M per on this team playing on PP2.
Driving an offensively gifted third line and playing PP2 ... f*** yes. A few things we have to remember, we are horrible at scoring and our PP2 is actually a disadvantage. If 5 million foxes that, do it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Driving an offensively gifted third line and playing PP2 ... f*** yes. A few things we have to remember, we are horrible at scoring and our PP2 is actually a disadvantage. If 5 million foxes that, do it.

The thing is that they already have two really good players for the RWHW on the PP in Hall and VO.

And he’s not signing here to play on the third line and PP2.

Last edited:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
The thing is that they already have two really good players for the RWHW on the PP in Hall and VO.

And he’s not signing here to play on the third line and PP2.
Inevitably there will be injuries and he can slide up. He could also play the point and drift down on PP2.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

The team added Eric Staal and Taylor Hall. That addresses scoring slots everyone down. PP2 will consist of players like Staal, Skinner, Ristolainen, Olofsson, Cozens/Thompson. Instead of players like Sobotka, Johansson, Vesey, Sheary, Rodrigues. I think the problem is addressed.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The team added Eric Staal and Taylor Hall. That addresses scoring slots everyone down. PP2 will consist of players like Staal, Skinner, Ristolainen, Olofsson, Cozens/Thompson. Instead of players like Sobotka, Johansson, Vesey, Sheary, Rodrigues. I think the problem is addressed.
Enough equal-to-or-above-average quality forwards for 2 PP units is literally the lowest priority need I'm tracking for the 2020-21 roster.

Acquiring Staal and Hall allows a better distribution of TOI for all the forwards by getting inexperienced NHLers like Thompson, Cozens, Mittelstadt - depending on who makes the team - ice time with less risk of negative Corsi or similar etc. which would exist at even strength.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Other teams will be offering 1st line and PP1 time on a one year deal that will put him in a prime position to get a much better contract next off season when Seattle enters the league and adds their $81M in cap space to the league.

Plus, the Sabres don't have the cap space to add a $5M UFA right now with their remaining RFAs.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Other teams will be offering 1st line and PP1 time on a one year deal that will put him in a prime position to get a much better contract next off season when Seattle enters the league and adds their $81M in cap space to the league.

Plus, the Sabres don't have the cap space to add a $5M UFA right now with their remaining RFAs.
It is going to be tough to find a team that has both 5 million and a top line spot for him. You could look to a team like NJ, Det, or LAK but they are all behind us in rebuilding terms.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It is going to be tough to find a team that has both 5 million and a top line spot for him. You could look to a team like NJ, Det, or LAK but they are all behind us in rebuilding terms.

That is why he is still out there. There are teams that have told him they are interested but they need to clear cap space. Kind of like how teams told Hall the same thing. But, he signed here because of his relationship with Ralph, being told he would play with Eichel, and the fact that the Sabres 1 year offer was $2-3M more than any other team was offering.

Hoffman doesn't have a prior relationship with Ralph, he won't be told he will play with Eichel (and in your 3rd line idea he will be playing with Eakin and not Staal), and the Sabres won't be offering him $2-3M more than other teams.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
That is why he is still out there. There are teams that have told him they are interested but they need to clear cap space. Kind of like how teams told Hall the same thing. But, he signed here because of his relationship with Ralph, being told he would play with Eichel, and the fact that the Sabres 1 year offer was $2-3M more than any other team was offering.

Hoffman doesn't have a prior relationship with Ralph, he won't be told he will play with Eichel (and in your 3rd line idea he will be playing with Eakin and not Staal), and the Sabres won't be offering him $2-3M more than other teams.
My piece is if we can sign him for 5 mil or less we should do it. We are getting way into the weeds of things we don't know. We don't know what he wants money, playing time, ring, destination etc. My final stance is what I alluded to above, if we can sign him for 5 million you do it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That Las Vegas jersey is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

To be fair, it is a mock up of what the jersey will look like and not the real deal.

5f9088929bbc9f11a457abad_1021-vgk21-leak.jpg

Since they haven't had an alternate jersey yet, they are basing it on this Thunder jersey.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
To be fair, it is a mock up of what the jersey will look like and not the real deal.

5f9088929bbc9f11a457abad_1021-vgk21-leak.jpg

Since they haven't had an alternate jersey yet, they are basing it on this Thunder jersey.
Oh, ok. Vegas unis are top of the line and for them to kick that out would just be awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad