Around the NHL - (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Around the NHL
**Off Season Edition**
penquins.gif

Previous thread..

Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Thought it was interesting that there's an upcoming match in Russia between Russian NHL stars and KHL stars. Artemi Panarin is stated to take part in the game with the NHL stars. I thought he had burnt that bridge (returning to Russia), but then again, I don't really know the details about what and when he spoke against Putin.

Reactions: Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sheldon Kennedy really went to bat for Bowman. While he doesn't get to speak for all victims, for those who know his story, his voice carries a ton of weight when it comes to this topic of sexual abuse in hockey. Kennedy worked with Bowman directly (through his Respect Group initiative) when the latter reached out following his ban.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Sheldon Kennedy really went to bat for Bowman. While he doesn't get to speak for all victims, for those who know his story, his voice carries a ton of weight when it comes to this topic of sexual abuse in hockey. Kennedy worked with Bowman directly (through his Respect Group initiative) when the latter reached out following his ban.

Just reads like Bowman has put in the hard (PR) yards in preparation for his NHL return.

Just my personal opinion, but it does absolutely nothing for me someone needing to go to workshops about sexual abuse and how to take proper action. It's just basic human decency.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

This definitely makes it a less questionable decision. Kennedy has been openly and loudly critical of the NHL in the past, so it seems unlikely he's being a mouthpiece here to justify getting a good ol' boy back in the league. I'm not a huge fan of the decision, but it's more palatable with Kennedy's endorsement.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Just reads like Bowman has put in the hard (PR) yards in preparation for his NHL return.

Just my personal opinion, but it does absolutely nothing for me someone needing to go to workshops about sexual abuse and how to take proper action. It's just basic human decency.
My thoughts too. Let's see his commitment to this now that he's a GM again.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
If you don't allow a path back after someone makes a mistake, nobody ever has a reason to make a change or admit fault. Let's see what he does going forward before nailing him to the wall.

Edit: holy shit I didn't know about the recommendation letter he gave to a known sex predator to go work in a high school... Maybe there is no coming back for this dude.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If you don't allow a path back after someone makes a mistake, nobody ever has a reason to make a change or admit fault. Let's see what he does going forward before nailing him to the wall.

Edit: holy shit I didn't know about the recommendation letter he gave to a known sex predator to go work in a high school... Maybe there is no coming back for this dude.
Not everyone deserves a path back to a high paying, privileged position in professional sport and that's perfectly ok.

Calling it a mistake massively underplays the situation.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Not everyone deserves a path back to a high paying, privileged position in professional sport and that's perfectly ok.

Not to mention that if being allowed back is the main reason you're "admitting fault" or "making a change" then you're just a shit human being and didn't really actually learn anything.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
There shouldn't be, full stop. I'm glad that he's acknowledged that he did way too little to stop what happened to Beach and has actually given it some thought, but talk is cheap and lip service easy. Some things are just so egregious that you shouldn't be allowed to walk back into what you were doing before without a long penance and actively trying to fix things.

This is disappointing, disheartening, and disgusting. Par for the course with the Oilers franchise.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
What happened in Chicago is disgusting on multiple levels. The Hawks letter of recommendation led directly to John Doe #2's assault. The fact that Bowman has not reached out at all, shows how insincere and self centered he really is. It's all just about him getting back into the league.

If you have common sense and decency, you don't need special training and workshops to know right from wrong. (Especially BIG wrongs.) I'm extremely sorry to see Kennedy giving support to such a vile human being. But Bowman (and the others) don't get a pass from me because they attended a workshop or two.

Nobody has said he shouldn't be allowed to work and earn a living, but as @mightyquack said above, not everyone deserves a path back to a high paying, privileged position in professional sport. IMO, he and the others should not be allowed back into the NHL for a long time, if ever.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

It's almost like you wrote this before my edit, but there is my edit in your quote.

Edit: now I'm having trouble even sourcing the claim that he gave a good recommendation to a known sex predator.. Anyone have a link on it? Or is the extent of his wrong-doing failing to report the sexual assault to the proper authorities?

Not to mention that if being allowed back is the main reason you're "admitting fault" or "making a change" then you're just a shit human being and didn't really actually learn anything.

I, for one, just want shitty people to stop doing shitty things, I don't care if they learnt or not.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Edit: now I'm having trouble even sourcing the claim that he gave a good recommendation to a known sex predator.. Anyone have a link on it? Or is the extent of his wrong-doing failing to report the sexual assault to the proper authorities?

It appears the Hawks as an organization wrote the recommendation letters...

Last edited:
Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad