OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'll be honest. I didn't even know he was the coach of the BJs.

Shows how little I followed that team.

They need a good stable coach for this rebuild/retool.

A few good trades/signings plus if pick 4 is NHL ready then they could be pushing for playoffs again. That’d be bad for us as they were the only real bad team in the Metro.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They need a good stable coach for this rebuild/retool.

A few good trades/signings plus if pick 4 is NHL ready then they could be pushing for playoffs again. That’d be bad for us as they were the only real bad team in the Metro.
We are going to miss for the 3rd year in a row anyway, then 4th and still keep the guy around acting like we can make it.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
What the actual f*** is it with the NHL scheduling of the final? Two day break between games the entire series? The fact the finals could stretch until the end of June if it goes 7 games is an absolute joke considering how soon it could have started.
This series could take 17 days to resolve.

Probably the most comparable recent final was 2011 VAN/BOS which stretched 15 days for seven games.

5:35 in a plane isn't trivial, I guess? It also seemed like the weeklong break this year between the end of conference finals and the SCF was kind of ridiculous, which makes this feel like its taking forever. NHL season has already extended past NFL OTAs and minicamps.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This series could take 17 days to resolve.

Probably the most comparable recent final was 2011 VAN/BOS which stretched 15 days for seven games.

5:35 in a plane isn't trivial, I guess? It also seemed like the weeklong break this year between the end of conference finals and the SCF was kind of ridiculous, which makes this feel like its taking forever. NHL season has already extended past NFL OTAs and minicamps.
This is a good thing imo. The players get the rest they need so the product is better.
At least the Euros are going on now, so people can watch that on off-days.
Watch them make the playoffs again before the Pens.
Super likely. I could see the Pens getting back there in like 2035 with the way they're going about it.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Optimist!
Realist, no? Next year's the best chance for a long time, but we'll probably agree it's below 50%.
After that the core ages out completely, and they wait a few years before pulling the plug properly. Then they need to wait for players to develop until they can contribute enough to push them to R1 again. Need to draft Centers and a 1D.
It takes time. Detroit just had their 8th straight playoff miss for example. Anaheim just had their 6th and are nowhere close.
San Jose, which may be the best comparable, just had their 5th and finished last. Probably 5 years away from playoffs?

The Pens are very much trending towards a similar timeline.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Will it be as long and daunting as Buffalo, though?
I trust Dubas to manage a rebuild/re-tool better than they did.
The important thing is not when the team starts making the playoffs again, but rather when and for how long the next championship window will be open.
My hope is that Dubas constructs a better foundation, when allowed to work from the ground up. He has so much development experience, and is obsessed with that aspect of GM'ing.
Time will tell if I'm overestimating him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

This was the GM candidate I was most interested in before FSG dropped everything to throw themselves at Dubas' feet. :laugh: We'll see how he does I guess.

-edit- Holy f*** lmao

1718727371507.png

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad