OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Might be a real quick series if hintz is back for game 2. Maybe the Oil can steal one tonight.

It was pretty neat when the Pens were in these games
16 years in a row is a pretty good run. Half the teams don’t make it now so I think that will be a tough one for anyone to beat in todays league. We were pretty lucky. Basically averaged a Final every 4 years.

Reactions: Ignatius

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Might be a real quick series if hintz is back for game 2. Maybe the Oil can steal one tonight.

16 years in a row is a pretty good run. Half the teams don’t make it now so I think that will be a tough one for anyone to beat in todays league. We were pretty lucky. Basically averaged a Final every 4 years.
I'm not complaining just reminiscing haha.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dallas just seems like one of those paper tiger teams to me. Can't put my finger on it, but they remind me of a lot of those 100+ point regular season teams that everyone labels "Cup favorites", but always fall short (ie. San Jose during the Thornton/Marleau era).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Looking more and more like McDavid’s year. Let’s be real - he wasn’t going to just not win a cup. Pretty wild he’ll probably go down as a better player than Sid.

Ignatius

TROUBA = CAPTAIN COOKE
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Dallas just seems like one of those paper tiger teams to me. Can't put my finger on it, but they remind me of a lot of those 100+ point regular season teams that everyone labels "Cup favorites", but always fall short (ie. San Jose during the Thornton/Marleau era).

I get what you're saying but also consider that of the current final four teams Dallas is the most recent franchise to have actually won a cup. Over the past 15 years there have not been a whole lot of teams that have actually won the Cup and most teams that did won multiple Cups. After Colorado won a few years ago I felt like that was a real changing of the guard and now we are starting to see a lot more variance in what teams are legitimate contenders compared to decades previous.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Paper tigers don't make the 3rd round, going through teams like Colorado and Vegas.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Both Dallas and Edmonton look like paper tigers with some real exploitable flaws.

Of the two I am more for the Oilers, and yes I get the hate because of how that franchise was misrun for many years and was rewarded for it.

But I am for the Oilers more because of McDavid, and that one of the greatest of this generation should be in a Cup.

In the end though I don't see either of these teams nearly as strong as Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignatius

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Looking more and more like McDavid’s year. Let’s be real - he wasn’t going to just not win a cup. Pretty wild he’ll probably go down as a better player than Sid.
Literally every post you make is this exact post, every year, in the Around the NHL thread.

I dunno.. they're pretty damn good.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that there is a good chance that a greater percentage of the board will be rooting against the Rangers tonight than rooted for the Pens the last time they backed into the playoffs.

There was a nice percentage of our base back then with no hope of a win and wishing for a loss hoping for change.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Paper tigers don't make the 3rd round, going through teams like Colorado and Vegas.
I mean, I literally referenced those San Jose teams as an example of what I meant, who made it to the Cup final against us in 2016.

I'm talking about a team who can finish at or near the top of the standings in the regular season, but for whatever reason, just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor when it comes to winning it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad