OT: Around the NHL - Give us 101 games of Florida and Tampa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The Blackhawks won three Cups while effectively rewriting the book on how cap circumvention is done. Marian Hossa can't wear hockey gear just like Nikita Kucherov can't play in the regular season this year.

With Chicago it was often times blatant and unmistakable what they were doing but look at their track record of success. Will history remember the cap circumvention or forget it because a team won the Cup?

Thankfully MRI, CT, and X-ray exist. If someone needs hip surgery thats kinda hard to falsify. No one wants to have hip surgery just to have it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thankfully MRI, CT, and X-ray exist. If someone needs hip surgery thats kinda hard to falsify. No one wants to have hip surgery just to have it.

And, it's not like there's a set recovery period, so you can't exactly say 'well he COULD have played' to 'prove' things, because it's like saying Geno COULD have played after ACL surgery in the 2011 playoffs 2nd round.

Reactions: End of Line

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
And, it's not like there's a set recovery period, so you can't exactly say 'well he COULD have played' to 'prove' things, because it's like saying Geno COULD have played after ACL surgery in the 2011 playoffs 2nd round.

Factor in possible complications during recovery and PT it could’ve pushed the return date even further back. Just happens to be that Kucherov is a world class athlete which helps negate possible complications. Then there was last year when Jake had shoulder surgery and some were clamoring for him to return ASAP bc the time frame was 4-6 months. Then the pandemic happened.

Edit: Forgot to mention HIPPA aspects as well where there’s only so much personal health information that can be shared

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What happened to the intensity of the Bs-Caps series...it’s like warm bread tonight so far....

Reactions: BillPrep

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
What happened to the intensity of the Bs-Caps series...it’s like warm bread tonight so far....

The penalties have broken up the pace.

This series so far reminds me of our series back in 16 against the Lightning. To the eye the Pens looked visibly better, yet the series was close.

To me the Bruins look so much better than the Caps, yet every game's been close. It's weird.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So everyone knows that Tampa did a huge cap circumvention move by Kucherov unable to play during the regular season then steps in and scores 2 goals his first game back. I think teams would bulk at allowing it. But I almost feel like the league should have some rule where there is an independent evaluation by a league doctor on fitness to play in certain cases. I think it should be tailored to prevent exactly what happened. Maybe it's something where 2 weeks before the end of the season the player gets evaluated and if they are deemed fit to play they must take him off LTIR. This is not a case where you have someone who is clearly still laboring/injured who is just trying to survive the playoffs. This is someone who probably was good to go a month ago and is playing at a high level.
Either that or if you miss the entire regular season on LTIR then you miss the first round of playoffs as well, by rule. I dunno it just strikes me as such a blatant cap circumvention move that it should be addressed some how.

The league can check up. It did. Said nothing to see here. There was never going to be any other result.

If people want this to stop, then there needs to be some sort of post-season cap. Which I think would be complicated and mostly pointless, but that is the answer.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The league can check up. It did. Said nothing to see here. There was never going to be any other result.

If people want this to stop, then there needs to be some sort of post-season cap. Which I think would be complicated and mostly pointless, but that is the answer.

i think the best solution is that anyone on ltir at the end of the season is ineligible for the first series

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Nothing of the sort. All in the game. Stop whining.

Keeping a player on LTIR if they are legitimately unable to play is 100% with the rules. So by saying "Nothing of the sort" I guess you are saying that Kucherov was unable to play all regular season and then magically when cap rules need not apply he is skating a high level like he hasn't lost anything. We are talking about a 6 day span between last game, first game of the playoffs.

If pointing out what appears to be a flagrant abuse of the LTIR/Cap system and suggesting a constructive way to not allow abuse to occur is whining then so be it.
I guess my point is beyond your grasp.

If you *really* think that Cap consequences were not part of the decision I have a bridge to sell you.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Caps are also the oldest team on average in the league at 29

they were entering the season but they jettisoned Panik so I dunno now....also we and the Isles got older too with deadline additions...certainly the four East teams, and whichever comes out of the East, will be older than the other final four...

Reactions: Malkinstheman

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
warm bread is pretty good stuff...this game is more like warm crap(s)...

washington goalie is the only reason it's not 2 or 3 to 0...

also, the pbp guy has called #3 and #9 'ovechkin'...professional...

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
i think the best solution is that anyone on ltir at the end of the season is ineligible for the first series

Feel like that's more likely to screw over unlucky teams than prevent tampering and that nobody in the league would like it as it's basically turkeys voting for Christmas - players don't want to be held out when fit, GMs don't want to be without their best players, broadcasters don't want to be showing other than best on best.

I mean, this isn't new. Chicago's already shown how it's done. Nothing changed for a reason. The Kucherov case is even more glaringly wow, but there's clearly obstacles to a solution here.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Feel like that's more likely to screw over unlucky teams than prevent tampering and that nobody in the league would like it as it's basically turkeys voting for Christmas - players don't want to be held out when fit, GMs don't want to be without their best players, broadcasters don't want to be showing other than best on best.

I mean, this isn't new. Chicago's already shown how it's done. Nothing changed for a reason. The Kucherov case is even more glaringly wow, but there's clearly obstacles to a solution here.

every other sport with an ir has a minimum time you have to be on it, and some like the nfl have a limited time a guy can come back or be lost for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad