Around the NHL - Fun times for all in 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lot of Oil fans getting a hard-on thinking Kenny Holland is going to make a deal for $10.5M Patrick Kane. These guys are like the gym rat who always skips leg day but never misses an opportunity to make those biceps bigger.
BTW, isn't this the team that is $6M over the cap with only 20 players signed (11 fwds, 7 d-men, 2 goalies)? I guess they're praying Mike Smith calls in sick for the whole year. Is old age a valid reason to stay on LTIR?

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Lot of Oil fans getting a hard-on thinking Kenny Holland is going to make a deal for $10.5M Patrick Kane. These guys are like the gym rat who skips leg day but always shows up to work on his biceps.
BTW, isn't this the team that is $6M over the cap with only 20 players signed (11 fwds, 7 d-men, 2 goalies)? I guess they're praying Mike Smith calls in sick for the whole year. Is old age a valid reason to stay on LTIR?
but those 7 dmen are all stars makes you wonder why Holland is moving towards a if you can't stop them outscore them team structure...

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Too soon to start this thread?
Am I even allowed to start this thread?
I hope we treat this thread like the oiler fans do theirs. A chance to roast other teams...in our case, specifically the Oilers...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol, let them keep bolstering their offense. That isn’t the problem. If you acquire P Kane you are taking the puck away from McDavid and Draisaitl. Imo it would be unwise to grab a player that would need the puck so much.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Jets and Isles are up there for worst offseason in the league
Yeah... not a good time to be a Jets fan. Rick Bowness is now the coach. Wheeler is a year older and turns 36 on Aug 31. And PLD will likely be gone this time next year.
Have they even made a single move since last March to improve the team? I can't think of one.
The Islanders seem to be standing pat also.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks nice but only 5000 person capacity. Would love to watch an NHL hockey game there. Did the Coyotes have 5000 season ticket holders last year? I wonder how difficult or easy it will be to get a single game ticket is one finds them self in the Tempe area this winter?

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009
Hi Flames fans.
First off congrats on a great bounce back summer.

Question- Has Giordano ever played the RD position. If so,..with whom and how did he look?

Thanks in advance and good luck next year. :)

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009
Not when he was in Calgary he is a Left D so absolutely the Leafs should give him a 60 to 70 game try-out on the right side.
lol. Thanks man, good to know and lol. Was curious. Heard Chris Johnston talking bout it (possibly switching him over) on his latest podcast and also thought the same as you but needed some verification.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
lol. Thanks man, good to know and lol. Was curious. Heard Chris Johnston talking bout it (possibly switching him over) on his latest podcast and also thought the same as you but needed some verification.
looking at the Leafs depth chart I am not sure why they would but if they do 1 they should do them all...
Have Holl, Brodie, Lilligren play left and have Rielly, Muzzin, Gio and whoever ends up being your 7th dman play right...

nothing could go wrong with it...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Lot of Oil fans getting a hard-on thinking Kenny Holland is going to make a deal for $10.5M Patrick Kane. These guys are like the gym rat who always skips leg day but never misses an opportunity to make those biceps bigger.

Oilers have $4.2 mil in dead cap paying for Lucic, James Neal and Andrej Sekera. LMAO They have Neal's $1.9 buyout for 2 more years AFTER this year. Lucic will be a free agent.

Another massive trade win for Tre.

Oilers need to sign at minimum 1 forward, realistically 2 to meet 13 forwards. With Smith playing (why he is on IR?) they're right at the cap with 2 forwards needing to be signed, and somehow they are going to fit in Patrick Kane, even a 50% retained Kane is $5.25 mil which would put them $5.25 mil over the cap and they have no one to send as a cap dump.

They're defence is also a dumpster fire, Ceci, Koekkoeek, Kulak all in your top 6? lol, then Bouchard and Barrie as well both of whom have the defensive IQ of a bagel, and obviously the most overpaid man in sports Nurse. Dumpster fire.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm sure he could do it, but I don't get why you'd need to. As mentioned, TML has adequate RD on paper with Brodie, Holl and Liljegren and LD is Reilly, Muzzin then Gio. In the event of RD injury, moving the RD up and getting a cheap RD makes more sense than converting Gio...

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009
I'm sure he could do it, but I don't get why you'd need to. As mentioned, TML has adequate RD on paper with Brodie, Holl and Liljegren and LD is Reilly, Muzzin then Gio. In the event of RD injury, moving the RD up and getting a cheap RD makes more sense than converting Gio...
I recall Johnston wondering if Gino could move to that side all because Muzzin couldn't and he was just thinking of top 4ing Gio. (summer dog days) But it had me wondering if Gio ever did play the opposite side and if he faired well?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I recall Johnston wondering if Gino could move to that side all because Muzzin couldn't and he was just thinking of top 4ing Gio. (summer dog days) But it had me wondering if Gio ever did play the opposite side and if he faired well?

If Gio did, it was a long time ago.

When Brodie and go were a pairing, IIRC they'd swap sides and pinch/cover all the time for each other. I think he'd fare fine on the right.

Reactions: The Mitchician

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Oilers have $4.2 mil in dead cap paying for Lucic, James Neal and Andrej Sekera. LMAO They have Neal's $1.9 buyout for 2 more years AFTER this year. Lucic will be a free agent.

Another massive trade win for Tre.

Oilers need to sign at minimum 1 forward, realistically 2 to meet 13 forwards. With Smith playing (why he is on IR?) they're right at the cap with 2 forwards needing to be signed, and somehow they are going to fit in Patrick Kane, even a 50% retained Kane is $5.25 mil which would put them $5.25 mil over the cap and they have no one to send as a cap dump.

They're defence is also a dumpster fire, Ceci, Koekkoeek, Kulak all in your top 6? lol, then Bouchard and Barrie as well both of whom have the defensive IQ of a bagel, and obviously the most overpaid man in sports Nurse. Dumpster fire.

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Barrie

Not good but not terrible either.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not a big fan of E Rod but at $2m I don't think you could pass that up. I reallly doubt he'll come that cheap though.
The guys 5 years younger and has 3 more points than 34 year old Lucic, over the last 3 years. He had a great season but that also means that big Lucic outperformed him in 2 out of the last 3 years. Give Ruzicka a shot and use the capspace to upgrade at the deadline. The impact will be far greater than Rodrigues. There's a reason we've still got this years 1st and handcuffing ourselves with deadline space seems counter productive.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The guys 5 years younger and has 3 more points than 34 year old Lucic, over the last 3 years. He had a great season but that also means that big Lucic outperformed him in 2 out of the last 3 years. Give Ruzicka a shot and use the capspace to upgrade at the deadline. The impact will be far greater than Rodrigues. There's a reason we've still got this years 1st and handcuffing ourselves with deadline space seems counter productive.

I don’t hate:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Kadri - Dube
Ruzicka - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis

Weegar - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Zadorov

Markstrom
Vladar

I think there’s some big time depth on that roster, you could potentially elevate Dube and Ruzicka giving them bigger roles with the club, you could build some crazy value on Toffoli playing with the other two guys. You also have to expect someone like Coronato to be wanting to make that jump here in the March timeframe.

You are also still holding your first, as you mention, so in reality if you need you could really make a massive splash if things go well in the regular season you have the capital to do it. Although, I think it’d be in this teams’ best interest to hold onto firsts for at least a season here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t hate:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Kadri - Dube
Ruzicka - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis

Weegar - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Zadorov

Markstrom
Vladar

I think there’s some big time depth on that roster, you could potentially elevate Dube and Ruzicka giving them bigger roles with the club, you could build some crazy value on Toffoli playing with the other two guys. You also have to expect someone like Coronato to be wanting to make that jump here in the March timeframe.

You are also still holding your first, as you mention, so in reality if you need you could really make a massive splash if things go well in the regular season you have the capital to do it. Although, I think it’d be in this teams’ best interest to hold onto firsts for at least a season here.
I will honestly be shocked if Pelts doesn't make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad