Around the NHL: Free Agent Frenzy begins July 1 at noon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And Marty St. Louis retirement brings closure to a conversation Jim_Bob and I had on the old Sabres ESPN boards 16 years ago. Okay, I'm feeling old.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This was a hoot:

Ha. Babcock vs the Toronto media is going to be something to watch.

Whats funny is this probably started by Kessel calling out the media early in the year for their treatment of Dion Phaneuf.

Amazing that Mats Sundin, the guy who irrevocably torpeo'd the leafs LAST attempt at a rebuild by getting ALL the veterans to use their NMCs to block trades is treated as a hero. I'm not a big Kessel fan, but at worst he was simply part of the problem. He never was THE problem.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ha. Babcock vs the Toronto media is going to be something to watch.

Whats funny is this probably started by Kessel calling out the media early in the year for their treatment of Dion Phaneuf.

Amazing that Mats Sundin, the guy who irrevocably torpeo'd the leafs LAST attempt at a rebuild by getting ALL the veterans to use their NMCs to block trades is treated as a hero. I'm not a big Kessel fan, but at worst he was simply part of the problem. He never was THE problem.

Or that in acquiring Kessel, Burke used pieces that would be young vets in the here-and-now -- that also isn't on Husqvarna Phil.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Or that in acquiring Kessel, Burke used pieces that would be young vets in the here-and-now -- that also isn't on Husqvarna Phil.

Imagine if the Toronto office:

A) didn't do the Rask for Raycroft deal
B) Never traded for Kessel
C) Were able to get good returns for Kaberle and Sundin (and a few other vets who wouldn't waive)

It;s nearly as bad as us matching the Vanek offersheet in hindsight.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have all sorts of respect for the blackhawks and their turnaround. I love chicago and would move back there in a heart beat

But my god has Chicago's success gone straight to this writer's head:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ks-trade-saad-rosenbloom-20150701-column.html

Again, I could be wrong, but Bowman not only changed on the fly when Saad’s side reportedly demanded $6 million a year, but he also seemed to send a message to other players who want to take a hard stance in negotiations. You can collect your jackpot in hockey’s hinterlands.

Such moves aren’t new in the NHL -- all sports, actually. Teams have tried to punish players this way for years.

It’s why Buffalo, Winnipeg and Edmonton have existed in the NHL. It’s why Oakland and Jacksonville exist in the NFL. It’s why Sacramento and Philadelphia exist in the NBA. It’s why Cleveland exists, period.

Players who acted badly have been threatened with trades to dogbreath franchises in dogbreath cities. Coaches can establish their power by determining playing time; GMs can make a point by trading a player into oblivion.

No idea when this guy started covering Chicago sports, but I really doubt Columbus was chosen as a punishment. Less than a decade removed from playing front of empty barns the writer thinks Chicago is so special players will bow down and take paycuts. Kane and Toews certainly didn't.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
2 pieces on twitter.....

Luke Adam signed with the Rangers

Winnipeg sign Lemieux to an ELC

Last edited:

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Quick hypothetical... if the kings end up voiding voynov's contract, any chance Terry Murray convinces Tim to sign him? Obviously, on ice he'd be great, but the off ice blowback...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Quick hypothetical... if the kings end up voiding voynov's contract, any chance Terry Murray convinces Tim to sign him? Obviously, on ice he'd be great, but the off ice blowback...

No way!

1) It sounds like he will be deported to Russia.

2). You don't acquire young kids with this much talent and then bring a guy who beat the crap out of his wife and just got out of jail to come be their teammate.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I get why Oduya is waiting for cap space in Chicago, but I wonder what's holding up Ehrhoff from being signed somewhere. I wonder if he's waiting to slide into Chicago for cheap if Oduya leaves. I guess we might not find out until Sharp is traded.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I get why Oduya is waiting for cap space in Chicago, but I wonder what's holding up Ehrhoff from being signed somewhere. I wonder if he's waiting to slide into Chicago for cheap if Oduya leaves. I guess we might not find out until Sharp is traded.

He's probably alot of teams B choice

Maybe his agent thinks his demand will go up once Oduya signs

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Part of me wants to believe that the whole Ehrhoff buyout situation ("If guys don't want to be here I'll make their wish happen"~paraphrasing) was part of a multi-year plot to bring him back on the Sabres. Buy him out to get him away from the tire fire with the plan to sign him again when the going got better.

He'd be a perfect fit in our lineup for the next 2-3 years or so.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Part of me wants to believe that the whole Ehrhoff buyout situation ("If guys don't want to be here I'll make their wish happen"~paraphrasing) was part of a multi-year plot to bring him back on the Sabres. Buy him out to get him away from the tire fire with the plan to sign him again when the going got better.

Concussions have really hurt him. He was really bad last year. I think he is just about done in the NHL. Will probably sign some cheap 1 year deal somewhere and call it quits after that.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Haha...I wanted to believe that too (before the concussions).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Concussions have really Can hurt him. He was really bad last year. I think he is just about done in the NHL. Will probably sign some cheap 1 year deal somewhere and call it quits after that.

You don't think he will recover from concussions?

I think he played good at the beginning of the year. I remember saying Ehrhoff was coming back to Buffalo (farfetched I know), and Pens fans saying in December, no way, he is signing an extension when he can after the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad