OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1719594979928.png

For those curious to see who's voting.
First skater to win in a losing fashion since Leach in 1976 btw.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Pronman says

Celebrini
Levshuvnov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Buium
Dickinson
Sennecke
Yakemchuk
Demidov
Catton

Normally only give credence to Bob Mack but he nailed top 5 and 6 of first 7 picks last year. Just crazy to me any one is passing on Demidov after the Sharks. He’s close to Celebrini imo. But I also know nothing haha
Don’t even know what to say if GMs are so stupid to let him fall that far after Michkov

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
View attachment 888592
Only 17 people vote on the Conn Smythe? I figured the same writers who vote on the regular season awards would also vote for the CS.

Also, Jim Matheson is the Oilers' version of Yohe/Rossi. Massive homer that has zero business voting on these awards (no, it's not because of his McDavid vote).

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Only 17 people vote on the Conn Smythe? I figured the same writers who vote on the regular season awards would also vote for the CS.

Also, Jim Matheson is the Oilers' version of Yohe/Rossi. Massive homer that has zero business voting on these awards (no, it's not because of his McDavid vote).
He is, but his votes kinda make sense to me. Hyman 16 goals. Bouchard was almost historically good offensively for a D-man and solid defensively.
There's a very strong argument for both of them being better/more valuable than Barkov/Bob/Forsling/Verghaeghe.
So I don't have a problem with it.

I do take issue with Ryan S. Clark's first place vote though.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Well what a boring af draft day one.

Jack shit happened other than well, the draft. But yeah.

View attachment 889054

Pretty crazy how the 1st OA is from North Vancouver, my backyard, in back-to-back years. It's gonna be great for the city, sports-wise.
Good on Joe to show up and support him.

Pullin for the kid.
Curious did you lot give the same love to Gilbert Brule?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The bay area is claiming him.
Yeah he is more of a Bay area lad than a Vancouverite given his dad worked for the Golden State Warriors.

He literally grew up playing for the Jr Sharks U14 teams.

It's like Tyler Myers being born in Texas but being raised more in Canada.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
So Tulsky's first move as GM was acquiring a #34 and #50 for a #27.
Damn. Wish we got him.
Three picks in the second round, I guess they didn't really see the players they wanted at #27 being an issue to get at the top of the second round.

At least the Pens have two picks in the second, I guess that's better than usual.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I saw that Sabres took Helenius at the Pens first. Small and not a quick skater isn't a good sign but the talent he has could over come that and some work with skating could get him another step.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
We do better in the 2nd round than 1st since Staal, so yeah it's nice.
That's easy to say mostly because the Pens have traded a lot of firsts.

Also I don't consider Olli Maatta a bad pick. That lad had a lot of weird health things that hindered him but he was good enough to win 2 cups playing vital minutes.

Pickering we'll see and Yager has been growing into a damn fine prospect. Poulin was the last one before those two, but yeah a lot of defensemen or weird reaches for the first round.

Probably would’ve gotten that # 27 in the Jake deal..
I feel like it came down to that pick or Koivunen. If that was the case, I'm ok with that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
That's easy to say mostly because the Pens have traded a lot of firsts.

Also I don't consider Olli Maatta a bad pick. That lad had a lot of weird health things that hindered him but he was good enough to win 2 cups playing vital minutes.

Pickering we'll see and Yager has been growing into a damn fine prospect. Poulin was the last one before those two, but yeah a lot of defensemen or weird reaches for the first round.

I feel like it came down to that pick or Koivunen. If that was the case, I'm ok with that.
Esposito, Despres, Bennett, Morrow, Maatta, Pouliot, Kapanen, Poulin
Sure, Maatta wasn't a failed pick. But if that's the best of the 8, that's pretty horrendous drafting.

In that same time frame (2008-2019), we drafted 10 times in round 3.
Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Sundqvist, Bortuzzo, Pierro-Zabotel, Hanowski, Hall, Phillips, Legare

I find it hilarious that R3 yielded more. This is why I don't dismiss picks just because they're not 1st rounders. Blomqvist is looking like a good 2nd rounder.

Yager looks promising right now. Pretty refreshing to see. I'm not optimistic with Pickering, but it's still early days.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
View attachment 888592
By any chance do you have the other ballot? Don't the writers turn in two prior to the end of G7, one for each team winning? Correct me if I'm wrong about that. If so, I'd say Clark's first is definitely McD in the alternate Oil Cup universe.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
View attachment 889054

Pretty crazy how the 1st OA is from North Vancouver, my backyard, in back-to-back years. It's gonna be great for the city, sports-wise.
Good on Joe to show up and support him.

Pullin for the kid.
JUMBEAU!

Mack is INCREDIBLY fun to watch. Curious to see what this new generation with him, Bedard and such have in them. Also still high on Matty Beniers and now Disco will be his coach. Will be tough to top the McDavid/MacKinnon crop.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
By any chance do you have the other ballot? Don't the writers turn in two prior to the end of G7, one for each team winning? Correct me if I'm wrong about that. If so, I'd say Clark's first is definitely McD in the alternate Oil Cup universe.
I don't. Wasn't on the site I used.
That'd be hilarious to me though, if there's 2 separate ballots based on one game's outcome, for a full playoff award.
So one team gets a Max Talbot g7 performance from someone maybe and that somehow alters what the star players did over ~24 games? Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad