Around the NHL - All The NHL News That's Fit (or Not) To Print

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for remembering them! I can't find a thing about them or a pic anywhere, but I knew someone else had to have had one! They were pretty nice, especially for something they handed out at a free open practice!

I agree completely! You actually described them perfectly in one of your earlier posts.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'll tell ya, Sakic is going to catch criticism for that situation, but I've gotta imagine Zadorov's ask is way too high. He hasn't proven anything in the NHL.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Wait... Forsberg was used as comp??? I thought McDavid reset the market :rolleyes:

You think Pasternak was getting nearly 7 per before the roof raised?

Please.

He's the third best player on his own line and they're buying only 2 UFA years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You think Pasternak was getting nearly 7 per before the roof raised?

Please.

No, he was probably getting 6. Since they used Forsberg as a comp.

Little reality check for how much McDavid raised the bar for everyone else.

Have fun arguing that Eichel should have a cap hit 50% higher than Pastrnak.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

People need to get with reality. The market has shifted dramatically since July. There's now three deals in the universe to consider.

/sarcasm

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
People need to get with reality. The market has shifted dramatically since July. There's now three deals in the universe to consider.

/sarcasm

I should've copied your breakdown, so I could just paste it as my Eichel response going forward.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Jesus. If that's the case then both of these parties need to swallow their pride and meet in the freaking middle.
I've been lacklusterly following this one. Pretty sure Zads originally asked for $3M. Sakic said $1M. Sakic came up to $2M. Zads down to $2.5M. Zads worked the KHL for a deal but didn't take it. (Not sure if its still out there or not.)

Yes he was injured at the end of last season but I don't believe Zads had a single goal last year. He's pencilled in as a 1 -2 pairing but based on the Avs defense, that means nothing. (Frankly, he's not ready for that role yet.)

It's supposed to be a bridge contract. All a holdout is going to do is ****** Zads progress.

$2M for a goalless defenseman who is frequently out of position trying to make the big hit is more than enough IMO.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Surprising thing with Foligno contract to me is the term not the money.

He was probably overpaid on his last contract & was clearly going to get more on his next one - salaries don't often regress with RFAs....

4 years was a big surprise though...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I don't think Eichel will get anything too ridiculous but at the same time I see Pastrnak as a closer comparable to Reinhart in the long run. 50 percent more is unrealistic but 30 to 40 percent more really isn't IMO.

We'll see when a deal is done & if or when 23 has the type of season many expect.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/15...-wont-be-allowed-to-compete-in-2018-olympics/

On Thursday, Ovechkin released a statement through the Capitals. It appears he’s come to grips with the reality that he will not be playing in the upcoming Olympics, although his statement expressed a heartfelt disappointment that the NHL wouldn’t allow its players to participate.

“I see the news this week and I am very disappointed that IOC, IIHF and NHL put me and all NHL players in this position when some of the best players in world do not have chance to play in the Olympic Games,†Ovechkin wrote in the statement.

“This is not just about me but all the NHL players who want to play and have a chance to win Gold for their country. Our countries are now not allowed to ask us to play in the Olympics. Me, my teammates and all players who want to go all lose. So do all the fans of hockey with this decision that we are not allowed to be invited. NHL players in the Olympics is good for hockey and good for Olympics. It sucks that will we not be there to play!!

“There is nothing like Olympic Games. It is still my dream to win an Olympic Gold medal for my country. I hope things will change and all of us will have a chance to go again in 2022. What’s most important to remember is kids have lots of dreams. My focus as it always is this time of year is on my other dream as a kid, to try to win the Stanley Cup. I am excited training camp has started in Washington and the time for talking is done. We just have to go out and do it and I will try my hardest to help my teammates win like I do every year since I came to the NHL.â€

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has offered his support for Ovechkin when it comes to going to the Olympics, and Ovechkin thanked him for that in his statement.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/14/senators-macarthur-fails-training-camp-medical-test/

Clarke MacArthur, who has a documented history of concussions throughout his career, did not pass his medical testing on Thursday, according to Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion.

As a result, MacArthur will not be a part of training camp, according to the Ottawa Citizen.

There have been questions about the future of his playing career for a few years now as a result of the head injuries he’s sustained. At age 32, MacArthur has appeared in only eight regular season games over the last two campaigns. He did, however, return to Ottawa’s lineup for its playoff run in the spring after getting cleared.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wait... Forsberg was used as comp??? I thought McDavid reset the market :rolleyes:
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/14/report-bruins-sign-david-pastrnak-to-six-year-40-million-deal/
the two sides tried to come to terms on a seven or eight-year contract, but they just couldn’t get the numbers to work. The assumption is that Pastrnak would’ve wanted more money on a longer contract because it would eat into his free agent years.

The length of the deal impacted the per year cost. Where one contract (8yrs) bought 4 UFA years and another (6yr deal) only bought up 2yrs. Its known he was using Draisaitl as a comparable for an 8yr deal. Makes sense Forsberg's 6yr deal was used as a comparable for a 6 year deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad