Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have become pretty cynical about this group. This isn't their first collapse rodeo. We bent over to Vegas in 17-18 with nary a whimper, and the playoffs before last repeated that performance.

You'd think heading into last years' playoffs, the veterans on this team would have came to play but we looked like a bunch of chicken shits out there.
It's about peaking, and not getting injured before the playoffs. Barron would have had an impact on that series, as a forechecker, and one of the better PKers. Nino didn't come back healthy. Vilardi didn't come back healthy. Dillon was a crucial player who goes down in game 3. Bowness could have infused some youth into the lineup with Perfetti and Heinola, but the trusted vets didn't get the job done. Vegas we lost Scheifele and Morrissey in the same series...That's game over. Montreal we lost Scheifele and De Melo, game over. Calgary we lost Scheifele and Laine, game over.

I want to see this team get tougher. Because playoff hockey is a different animal from the regular season. I'm really tired of seeing teams runs our superstars and key players, and the team just takes it, goes on the PP, if they are lucky, and hopes for the best. Without Buff, this has become a fragile team. Good, but fragile.

Reactions: rkp

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I feel similar. Last season, I decided to just enjoy the regular season and not bother focusing on the post season - I'm not expecting anything better this upcoming season.

Things won't change in the near future so I'm not going to get myself hyped about it unless there's either a massive roster change or they finally step up come playoffs.
Sad thing is that the org may be okay with this.

Historically I haven't really bought into the theory that TNSE is simply happy with a couple playoff dates, but after at least three seasons now of running it back with no significant changes I am starting to believe. Also, I may well be wrong because I haven't read a ton of media, but to my knowledge no one in the org has ever said that these playoff performances are unacceptable. Certainly no heads have rolled. I think the stability can have a benefit, but I'm not talking about some knee jerk moves here, Jets have been spinning their tires for the better part of a decade here (since 2017/18).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Washington Capitals have to cross their fingers Alex Ovechkin is OK after a reported injury scare Monday at an informal skate.

Sammi Silber of The Hockey News reported that Ovechkin left the ice during the first drill of the session in apparent discomfort.

Silber says the Russian star then went to the bench before retreating to the dressing room.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sad thing is that the org may be okay with this.

Historically I haven't really bought into the theory that TNSE is simply happy with a couple playoff dates, but after at least three seasons now of running it back with no significant changes I am starting to believe. Also, I may well be wrong because I haven't read a ton of media, but to my knowledge no one in the org has ever said that these playoff performances are unacceptable. Certainly no heads have rolled. I think the stability can have a benefit, but I'm not talking about some knee jerk moves here, Jets have been spinning their tires for the better part of a decade here (since 2017/18).
In the last three season, we have had two new coaches, bought out two vets, signed the 2nd most coveted center at TD, traded for and signed Nino/Names, traded for PLD and then traded him away, traded for Dillon and Schmidt at TD now replacing them with Samberg and Miller, Lambert seems poised for top six, etc... Chevy overhauled the team - we just don't notice.

TNSE's biggest problem is waiting for 2017 Scheif to come back because they've already designed his statue - and waiting for regular season Helle to show up in the playoffs.

For better or worse, Winnipeg is not on the radar for top UFAs... would Timo Meier or Chris Tanner have put this team over the top? I'm not sure.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Washington Capitals have to cross their fingers Alex Ovechkin is OK after a reported injury scare Monday at an informal skate.

Sammi Silber of The Hockey News reported that Ovechkin left the ice during the first drill of the session in apparent discomfort.

Silber says the Russian star then went to the bench before retreating to the dressing room.
'I have to start working out in the off-season. Getting old - pass me my vodka - I mean water bottle, comrade.'

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
In the last three season, we have had two new coaches, bought out two vets, signed the 2nd most coveted center at TD, traded for and signed Nino/Names, traded for PLD and then traded him away, traded for Dillon and Schmidt at TD now replacing them with Samberg and Miller, Lambert seems poised for top six, etc... Chevy overhauled the team - we just don't notice.

TNSE's biggest problem is waiting for 2017 Scheif to come back because they've already designed his statue - and waiting for regular season Helle to show up in the playoffs.

For better or worse, Winnipeg is not on the radar for top UFAs... would Timo Meier or Chris Tanner have put this team over the top? I'm not sure.
Valid points ... that's sure more changes than it feels like. I guess it's the same results every time that makes it feel like nothing of significance was changed. The buy-out of Wheeler was significant, I won't deny that.

Regarding coaching changes, I don't feel that Arneil who was associate coach to Bones constitutes a "coaching change". Its a continuation of the Bones regime. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and things under Arneil will be more different than I think, but overall simply sliding Arneil into the spot when Bones retired doesn't feel like any kind of shakeup or indication of displeasure with the "results" of the last couple seasons. It feels like coaching is the one area that the Jets could have made a major shift. I really really liked Bones but he didn't have what was needed to cure whatever ails this team in the post season. Making his associate coach the head coach just doesn't seem like a change to me.

The rest constitutes some decent tinkering with complimentary pieces. I'd like to see a core piece moved, but admit this is much easier said than done. So maybe TNSE isn't content, they just don't have realistic options in the Winnipeg market?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, this team has had a significant amount of roster turnover. It's just that the core of Mark, JoMo, Helle, KC are all still here as well.

What needs to happen is for Perfetti, Vilardi, Lambert etc to grow into core pieces that can push the old guard.

The Jets have tried to trade for impact players to become core pieces like Dubois but it hasn't worked out and for a market like Winnipeg, those types of moves rarely are an option for us.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Valid points ... that's sure more changes than it feels like. I guess it's the same results every time that makes it feel like nothing of significance was changed. The buy-out of Wheeler was significant, I won't deny that.

Regarding coaching changes, I don't feel that Arneil who was associate coach to Bones constitutes a "coaching change". Its a continuation of the Bones regime. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and things under Arneil will be more different than I think, but overall simply sliding Arneil into the spot when Bones retired doesn't feel like any kind of shakeup or indication of displeasure with the "results" of the last couple seasons. It feels like coaching is the one area that the Jets could have made a major shift. I really really liked Bones but he didn't have what was needed to cure whatever ails this team in the post season. Making his associate coach the head coach just doesn't seem like a change to me.

The rest constitutes some decent tinkering with complimentary pieces. I'd like to see a core piece moved, but admit this is much easier said than done. So maybe TNSE isn't content, they just don't have realistic options in the Winnipeg market?
Its fair to say that Laine for Vilardi/Iafallo was more than tinkering... I do think they wanted to move Ehlers before McGro wanted out - not sure that's the right core piece to move though.

The crux of the issue is how Arniel deals with player preference vs advanced stats... ESV is our best line - if we don't start the season with them then I think it's just more of the same.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't know i keep going back to the 52 wins last season and 4th overall in the NHL, that's not a fluke, this team has talent. There may be some players that don't know how to turn it up for playoff hockey or maybe our coaching wasn't making the right in game adjustments . Anyway i still go into this season with.....

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

As per Puck Pedia, year 1 is a $780K base and includes a $9 million signing bonus. Year 2 $1.09 million base & $6.53M million signing bonus. The deal includes a no-move clause.

Good for Sid.

Looking forward to a pair of 87 point seasons, playing 87% of his allotted first-line minutes in at least 87% of his games.

And helping his new teammate Rutger McTraitor to 8.7 points.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Good for Sid.

Looking forward to a pair of 87 point seasons, playing 87% of his allotted first-line minutes in at least 87% of his games.

And helping his new teammate Rutger McTraitor to 8.7 points.
Crosby pep talk
'Good to have you here rutger... I mean I never would have pulled a move like that because I have too much respect for the game but hey it's a new generation right.'

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

As per Puck Pedia, year 1 is a $780K base and includes a $9 million signing bonus. Year 2 $1.09 million base & $6.53M million signing bonus. The deal includes a no-move clause.

Gonna put on my HF hat here:

Why would the Penguins sign Crosby? Sure he's one of the greatest players of all time and still plays well and provide leadership but the Penguins aren't going to compete for the Cup so why not trade away a franchise legend for a futures package and accelerate the rebuild?!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Why would the Penguins sign Crosby? Sure he's one of the greatest players of all time and still plays well and provide leadership but the Penguins aren't going to compete for the Cup so why not trade away a franchise legend for a futures package and accelerate the rebuild?!
Because it.gives Dubas two more years of excuses

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

10/10
1726518570084.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Because he still brings in their ownership a tonne of cash. Their new ownership group juat spent around a billion on the team. They will ride the Crosby gravy train as long as they can.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Because he still brings in their ownership a tonne of cash. Their new ownership group juat spent around a billion on the team. They will ride the Crosby gravy train as long as they can.
It seems to me that, given the hometeam discount Sid took, that there's a fair bit of mutual respect and loyalty as well. But it sure doesn't hurt that the org makes $$ off of him, and $8.7 mil is still $8.7 mil even if you might be able to get more elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad