Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thats an actually very much undervalued experience. Every "ladiesguy" should spent a couple of evenings in a hard gay flirt environment, let's you see the entire "girl hunting" thing and what you thought would be totally normal and okay as part of the "game" in a whole different light.

Not criticizing gay men here, the nice thing in their bubble is everyone knows and can handle it because they all speak the same language but If you, as an hetero outsider, end up being that target and you don't want to be approached too closely, you suddenly realize things.
It's so interesting as a social experiment. I agree, I think every man should go through that, to bring a deeper understanding on how it feels to be 'prey'.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly, I don't know. I remember reading someplace that these types are generally rare. It was an article discussing the Jarvis extension. From what I know, they are allowed by the CBA, but both parties have to agree. Most players want signing bonuses up front, presumably to have an influx of cash now. Either to spend immediately or to have investors invest it for them.

Yeah, that is the common pattern. But which would you rather have, 7.5x8 or 8x8 with 8 mil deferred? 1 has a cap hit of 7.5, the other's is 7. The 7 mil/year that is not deferred can still contain all of the same kind of bonus structures, etc.

Part of the reason it works better for the cap now is the relatively high interest rates. It decreases the relative value of deferred payments. If interest rates come down, the cap savings will diminish.

Basically, the player is agreeing to lower compensation through this salary deferment, so that gets reflected in the cap calculation. The player takes a hit for the team, just like players that sign team-friendly deals without deferred compensation.

They aren't taking a hit for the team if the total compensation is higher.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, that is the common pattern. But which would you rather have, 7.5x8 or 8x8 with 8 mil deferred? 1 has a cap hit of 7.5, the other's is 7. The 7 mil/year that is not deferred can still contain all of the same kind of bonus structures, etc.

They aren't taking a hit for the team if the total compensation is higher.
I assume that they agree on the total contract amount but by deferring a big chunk of the signing bonuses to after 8 years they help the team to reduce the cap hit because it lowers the value of the money. It's like taking $1M now or $1M several years from now. Getting the money early has more value for the player, while paying it later is better for the team (both in terms of the value of the money and for the cap hit).

My understanding is that if interest rates decline this approach won't have as much impact because the reduced value of the deferred payments will be diminished.

Reactions: BoneDocUK

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
A few things this monday morning, Toronto’s PWHL name is kinda lame. And today the Gaudreau brothers are laid to rest. RIP Johnny and Matthew.
Not only is the name kinda lame, but the team logo couldn't be more phallic if they tried. For a women's league? WTF? And how does Ottawa get away with ripping off the Calgary Flames. Then again, I'm on a scotch fast so what the hell do I know.

• Haha
Reactions: Eyeseeing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All of the PWHL logos are pretty brutal except Montreal. The names aren't great either, Sirens is probably the best of the bunch.

Reactions: SLAYER

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I assume that they agree on the total contract amount but by deferring a big chunk of the signing bonuses to after 8 years they help the team to reduce the cap hit because it lowers the value of the money. It's like taking $1M now or $1M several years from now. Getting the money early has more value for the player, while paying it later is better for the team (both in terms of the value of the money and for the cap hit).

My understanding is that if interest rates decline this approach won't have as much impact because the reduced value of the deferred payments will be diminished.

On that assumption, yes.
I assume that the team pays more to get the contract signed but defers some to keep the cap hit acceptable. One assumption is as good as the other.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I met the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street Bicycle Path today and asked her what's new? She said that when Rutger McGroarty gave Ivan Miroshnichenko a big hug at the draft, he whispered something in his ear, and she knows what he said. "Oh really," I said, "and what pray tell was that?" She said he told Ivan that at least he wasn't drafted by the Jets. Ouch...😯

screenshot-2024-09-05-at-83901-pm.webp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some interesting quotes directly from PLD himself on what happened in WPG and LA. Featured in this youtube video

The commentary is subjective ofcouse but it contains direct quotes from PLD with citation.

Oh Dubois, the guy seems to not have the right mental makeup to really maximize his ability. He has to be given very specific instructions on how to play to good, like come on.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Oh Dubois, the guy seems to not have the right mental makeup to really maximize his ability. He has to be given very specific instructions on how to play to good, like come on.
Yeah his comments are odd.
No sense of ownership or the ability to work outside of specific parameters?
Makes you wonder how he made it as far as he did.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can anyone give the highlights (lowlites)?

On Jets, said he didn't ask for trade but said he'd only play one year and leave as a FA, so they said fine we will trade you.

Said on Bones playoff rant he didn't know who he was talking about as the group wasn't sure which players he was trying to single out.

Talked with Montreal and LA. Wasn't the right time for Montreal and LA really wanted him (on that side, he must have really pissed them off for them to jump ship a year after the hard court press)

Said he only talked to the head coach twice and wasn't given detailed instructions for what he was supposed to do, hence his piss poor play.

Says he's excited and got lucky that he was traded out east.

Just seems like a guy without much mental fortitude. Needs everything be lined up.perfecrly for him to get his head in the game and perform.

No wonder our room was more tight nit last year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some interesting quotes directly from PLD himself on what happened in WPG and LA. Featured in this youtube video

The commentary is subjective ofcouse but it contains direct quotes from PLD with citation.

I feel like his toque is on a bit too tight. PLD reminds me of Kane and Laine, different cities same act. Say what you will but these guys are relentlessly on brand. Can you imagine how badly this flake would get shredded in Montreal. He would be their #1 whipping boy.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
PLD obviously isn't the kind of person that is naturally made for the pressure and demands that come with being a well paid professional athlete. It is what it is. The good thing for right now is that he hasn't really effed over any team he played for - CBJ got a fair return, we got a very fair return, MTL dodged a bullet in trading for him and then signing him for a lot of years (that would most definitely have become a disaster even worse than with LA, no doubt). You could argue he effed LA over but they didn't NEED to sign him instantly to 8 years after trading for him I guess. And eventually, they got ouf the contract quicker than people would have thought so the damage was rather limited.

Let's just hope for the sake of good will the Caps and PLD can create a positive scenario for both sides involved. I think it could work out fine - Washington is a good place to spend the next couple of years without any pressure to do anything special as an individual and as a team. They're bound to ride out Ovie's career until he retires and then they'll finally start fully rebuilding. I doubt PLD is the kind of player that has a problem with playing next 5-8 years without making the playoffs as long as he gets his money and isn't critiziced too much for it.

Having said that about the Caps, I personally still don't really understand why they went for the signing. I guess it won't hurt them much but if you think this team will have a chance to compete for the last 1-2 or maybe 3 years of OV's career, you're naive. After that, he will only be a part of why they might just be a little too good to get a top 3 or even first overall pick during their rebuilding years. You could start making the same arguments about the Penguins, sure, when they got EK65 they commited to being all-in until Sid and Geno retire and I guess it is what it is and EK65 and Letang will also be gone once Sid and Geno are gone, sinking the Penguins faster than you would imagine. None of those players are 25 and signed for 7 more years lol.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
He's had a PR team set up these articles.. or the team did - and he still sounds like a douche. Glad he got the freedom to choose his team - and then complain about the team's coach immediately... and then get traded to a now perennial non-playoff team. He can party with Ovie - and its a short walk to the beach... oh wait, its not.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Speaking of deferred contracts, there are a few doozies in MLB. Bobby Bonilla and Ken Griffey Jr are a couple of examples

Here's hockey's version of deferrals

Why is Rick DiPietro still getting paid?

Rick DiPietro - Wikipedia

Multiple hockey writers consider him to be one of the biggest draft busts in NHL history. As a result of his contract buyout, the Islanders will continue to pay DiPietro $1.5 million annually until the end of the 2028–29 season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Having said that about the Caps, I personally still don't really understand why they went for the signing. I guess it won't hurt them much but if you think this team will have a chance to compete for the last 1-2 or maybe 3 years of OV's career, you're naive. After that, he will only be a part of why they might just be a little too good to get a top 3 or even first overall pick during their rebuilding years. You could start making the same arguments about the Penguins, sure, when they got EK65 they commited to being all-in until Sid and Geno retire and I guess it is what it is and EK65 and Letang will also be gone once Sid and Geno are gone, sinking the Penguins faster than you would imagine. None of those players are 25 and signed for 7 more years lol.

For the Caps it's all about getting Ovi the Gretzky record. Also the bottom of the East is pretty wide open, they could sneak in like they did last year, though it's a quick 4 or 5 and out.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm not quite curious enough about this to do some deep dive into it, but as I was sitting here feeling old because my joints ache because it's either too humid or not humid enough outside, I saw someone post about yet another highly touted youngster from a few years back signing a minimum wage contract, and that got me thinking.

Are we in a lull with regards to new talent entering the league?

In the top 50 point producers last season, 2 players were born after 1999. Meaning last year, we had barely any players ages 18-24 that were big difference makers in that regard. The best goalies in the league (Helle, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Vasilevksy? Bob?) are all in their upper 20s or older. You could argue that the top D-men are younger, but other than that, there isn't much infusion of young superb talent lately.

You can point to the Jets as a prime example, where we haven't inserted much at all since arguably 2017, 7 years ago. But I don't think we're a big outlier.

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad