Around the NHL 2024/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
McDrai isn't the same thing as those expensive Leafs. McDrai show up in the playoffs at an elite level. Look at what they do to guys like Maroon and Hyman. They elevate the players around them.
They elevated and blew a sure thing
I’m not convinced they are going back to the finals

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Ya, I think my thoughts are more in the line of, will a player who is worth over 10M ever sign in Winnipeg.

People thought Helle would ask / could get as a UFA 10+ million a year. Does that mean he's worth over 10 million a year?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, sucks when you only go to the Stanley Cup Final.

How many teams are you convinced are going to the Final?
With what the Oilers are doing with their salary structure, they better hope this formula works.
They have failed a lot in the playoffs with Leon and Connor prior to last season.
I’m not ready to anoint them as sure things to get there again this year

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm old enough to remember comments from some on here saying Drai's previous deal was bad or an overpay.

A UFA deal which will be eventually behind McDavid and around what Matthews or Mackinnon got are fair imo. Points get you paid and he's routinely been a 100+ pt scorer.

Do folks think he will have made way less if he hit July 1 2025?

Reactions: Buffdog

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm old enough to remember comments from some on here saying Drai's previous deal was bad or an overpay.

A UFA deal which will be eventually behind McDavid and around what Matthews or Mackinnon got are fair imo. Points get you paid and he's routinely been a 100+ pt scorer.

Do folks think he will have made way less if he hit July 1 2025?
He would definitely get more elsewhere, no question.
He would not get to play with the world’s best player and he’s going to play how and when he wants.
The Oilers will pay McDavid more, those two guys play their careers together and they hope for the best.
Bouchard gets his bag of money also,Nurse still has a few years left.
The thing about all this is how do they ice a decent roster with all that money tied up in 4 players?
Maybe the Oilers become successful maybe not.
I guess there really wasn’t any other option.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Uh oh?

I usually don't like to agree with meme poster Allan Walsh but I agree with his characterization that Tavares got some bad advice.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
With what the Oilers are doing with their salary structure, they better hope this formula works.
They have failed a lot in the playoffs with Leon and Connor prior to last season.
I’m not ready to anoint them as sure things to get there again this year
No one is a sure thing in the NHL.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
There is zero doubt Drai has elite talent but I absolutely would not want him on my team. The amount of plays he gives up on defensively is very irritating. It is nitpicking but he comes across as selfish.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He would definitely get more elsewhere, no question.
He would not get to play with the world’s best player and he’s going to play how and when he wants.
The Oilers will pay McDavid more, those two guys play their careers together and they hope for the best.
Bouchard gets his bag of money also,Nurse still has a few years left.
The thing about all this is how do they ice a decent roster with all that money tied up in 4 players?
Maybe the Oilers become successful maybe not.
I guess there really wasn’t any other option.
depends what you measure successful. similar narratives were created for other teams that had a high % of Cap in a few players, and those teams found success. not as high as EDM's cap hits since those are the most recent signings, but 2/3 or 3/4s (including bouchard) are among the league's best. the Nurse contract does suck and is the true overpay. drai and mcdavid and probably bouchard get those deals if they hit UFA

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Let’s see how this goes for the Oilers long term.
I can’t see tying up 4 guys **with high cap hits being beneficial long term.
** McDavid’s is going to be a doozy when it comes.
As for the Jets we weren’t gifted high draft picks for sucking long term or getting a lottery win.
I can’t see this organization handcuffing itself with two or three high cap hits knowing they have to ice a semi competitive roster.
One thing Edmonton has that we don’t is a larger more loyal fan base that supports them even in lean times
Looks like Maple Leafs west for Edmonton. It will be interesting to see how much the cap rises in the next few years and if Oilers can surround the top 4 with talent or cheap scrubs.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bob makes 10m a year but I guess that isn't "over" 10m.

I think McD's deal will be over 17m and almost 18m.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bob makes 10m a year but I guess that isn't "over" 10m.

I think McD's deal will be over 17m and almost 18m.
eichel makes 10m too as well. there's a few at 9.5m w/ tkachuk, stone, kucherov, vas, and rantanen. players didn't break the 10M barrier until 2018, so all the years prior are almost not even applicable. & then consider they could amortize contracts beyond 8 years which makes it even less of a chance of a player making 10m.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Looks like Maple Leafs west for Edmonton. It will be interesting to see how much the cap rises in the next few years and if Oilers can surround the top 4 with talent or cheap scrubs.
McDavid had 42 points last playoff. Tkachuk and Barkov had 44 combined. Matthews has 48 in his career. Seems a little different.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I
eichel makes 10m too as well. there's a few at 9.5m w/ tkachuk, stone, kucherov, vas, and rantanen. players didn't break the 10M barrier until 2018, so all the years prior are almost not even applicable. & then consider they could amortize contracts beyond 8 years which makes it even less of a chance of a player making 10m.
Mean we are basically paying scheif and helle 10m on five year contracts because the last years will be a wash

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think we can get caught up looking at the dollar figures and not the % of the cap numbers. When the cap was staying relatively flat due to Covid it kind of worked, but I think players and agents are back to baking larger cap increases into their long term deals (if they ever really stopped).

Interestingly, Puck Pedia shows that Leon's last contract was 11.33% of the cap when he signed (had RFA years), and his next will start at 15.91%. It would be nice if it was broken out by each year though.

Still a big chunk, and it will be on the Oilers management to be able to fill in the roster with moneyball value players.

Reactions: SLAYER

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we can get caught up looking at the dollar figures and not the % of the cap numbers. When the cap was staying relatively flat due to Covid it kind of worked, but I think players and agents are back to baking larger cap increases into their long term deals (if they ever really stopped).

Interestingly, Puck Pedia shows that Leon's last contract was 11.33% of the cap when he signed (had RFA years), and his next will start at 15.91%. It would be nice if it was broken out by each year though.

Still a big chunk, and it will be on the Oilers management to be able to fill in the roster with moneyball value players.

The issue is there prospects are non existent or have been poached via offer sheet. It isn't their star contracts that are the issue, it's 9 million for Nurse. The wasted value in Campbell, and expensive middle 6 talent like Kane. That is where you run into massive issues.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The issue is there prospects are non existent or have been poached via offer sheet. It isn't their star contracts that are the issue, it's 9 million for Nurse. The wasted value in Campbell, and expensive middle 6 talent like Kane. That is where you run into massive issues.
This upcoming season is certainly the Oilers' best shot at taking another run at the Cup. Their top players are in their prime years and they have enough cap room this season to build a strong enough secondary roster to support the elite talent. Goaltending and injuries are always key variables that are hard to predict, but the Oilers have put themselves into a good position to take another run this season. I think their odds start to diminish after this season as they have to re-sign Bouchard who will be 25 and likely want a big long-term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad