Around the NHL: 2024-25 Season, Are You Not Entertained?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Inside Utah Hockey Club’s unprecedented five-month scramble to NHL opening night

“We redid our (basketball) locker rooms, too, as we went through all this,” Smith said from Scotland that night. “The team’s working all night. They’re still working. I bet if I walked in there, it wouldn’t look like it was ready. But by tomorrow, somehow, it will be.”

Somehow, it will be. The Utah Hockey Club doesn’t have a nickname yet — the Yetis seems to be the front-runner — but that could certainly be its slogan. Hockey, in Utah? Somehow, it will be. An NHL-caliber facility wedged into the basketball-only Delta Center? Somehow, it will be. A team, a home, a practice facility, an identity and a culture rising from the ashes of the Arizona Coyotes in just a few months? Somehow, it will be.

And somehow, it is. On Tuesday night, in front of perhaps 16,000 fans — up to 5,000 of whom will have paid for the privilege of not even being able to see one of the goals thanks to the quirks of the arena — Utah Hockey Club will step onto the ice at Delta Center in its home blues and become the 53rd incarnation of a National Hockey League team, a five-month-old franchise hosting the 98-year-old Chicago Blackhawks.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The NHL is freaking awful at hyping up the game. Opening night tripleheader?

Sure, no issue.

Game 1 over before the SC Champs have their banner celebration? Good job. Nearly at a successful night.

Game 2 not over before their brand spanking new team debuts? JFC.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm a big fan of Maccelli, he's who I imaged Krebs could be.

He's a very underrated player especially being buried on Utah's 3rd line.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Reactions: jc17
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Before the season I made a bet(loser treats the other to wings on our bi-weekly wing night) with a Boston fan that the Sabres would finish above the Bruins in the standings. Yesterday helped my doom and gloom just a little.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad