Around the NHL 2024-25 regular season

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I wonder what the timeframe on something like this is before it actually becomes a risk - 4-5 seconds? 2.9 probably wasn't long enough for this to actually be a risk, it's more of a smart pushing the envelope type of play.
Funny story that I think I've told here once before...

Back in the day I was at a game sitting fairly close to the Devils bench. McVie was coach, and Terrari was in net. With 2.9 seconds left in the period and an offensive zone faceoff, they were about to do a normal line change when I screamed at the top of my lungs "PULL THE GOALIE!!!". McVie whips his head around to look at me, then turns back to Terrari and yells "GOALIE!" and pulls him.

Too bad they didn't score. I could have taken credit for a Devils goal :)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Funny story that I think I've told here once before...

Back in the day I was at a game sitting fairly close to the Devils bench. McVie was coach, and Terrari was in net. With 2.9 seconds left in the period and an offensive zone faceoff, they were about to do a normal line change when I screamed at the top of my lungs "PULL THE GOALIE!!!". McVie whips his head around to look at me, then turns back to Terrari and yells "GOALIE!" and pulls him.

Too bad they didn't score. I could have taken credit for a Devils goal :)
Funny story that you told here once before....

You are old. You are old. You are old. Cool story bro.

• Haha
Reactions: Patrik26

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I wonder what the timeframe on something like this is before it actually becomes a risk - 4-5 seconds? 2.9 probably wasn't long enough for this to actually be a risk, it's more of a smart pushing the envelope type of play.
Could someone explain the advantage of pulling the goalie in that situation?

From that clip, I don't see it - but I very well could just not be understanding.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

From that clip, I don't see it - but I very well could just not be understanding.
TLDR watch 90, Johansson, and imagine where he would have went if that 6th guy wasn't there.

If there isn't enough time to win the faceoff and get the puck all the way down the ice to hit the empty net, or at least it's insanely unlikely there really is no reason not to. I've wondered why more teams don't do it.

As for the extra guy, as long as everyone on the team with an extra skater knows what they are doing, you can boil it down to coverage. The defending team now has more people to cover, from shooting lanes to passes, but really it's going to be one pass and shoot. Having the 6th guy way out there makes that "wall" teams typically make in the last few seconds need to spread out and cheat towards him. Whether it gets passed to that guy or not, the team needs to pay attention and treat him as a threat, weakening and spreading out the shooting lane coverage right in front, like we saw here.

If you see 90 becomes pointless to the defending team because he tries to get to an area to defend something he would have never needed to if that 6th guy wasn't there. He could have followed 38 into the shooting lane clogging it up even more and most likely preventing the goal.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Just to have an extra attacker, since you can't possibly be scored on in the time remaining.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That team and those fans deserve some success. I feel bad for them. I'm sure the players are sad and frustrated.
It's not a good look when your captain is hip checking teammates and then trying to fight them in practice, but apparently Krebs is joking about it on Instagram so it probably was just "boys being boys".

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who was it that PK Subban had a fight with in practice back in 2021? I think it was the covid season/Lindy's first year here?

Someone else must remember this?

Must be a Lindy Ruff thing!:sarcasm:

I remember when Langenbrunner got into a fight with someone. Was it Colin White? It wasn't in the MacLean season, it was even before that. And Didn't Zubrus get into a fight with someone too? Maybe it was Langs and Zubrus?

Was it Scott Stevens and Randy McKay who got into a fight on the team plane over a card game? I remember that kind of put a scare into someone who had just joined the team at the time. I don't think that story became public until the 20 years reunion of the 95 cup team. I wanna say it was Shawn Chambers who told the story and it was right after he was traded here that year?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Who was it that PK Subban had a fight with in practice back in 2021? I think it was the covid season/Lindy's first year here?

Someone else must remember this?

Must be a Lindy Ruff thing!:sarcasm:

I remember when Langenbrunner got into a fight with someone. Was it Colin White? It wasn't in the MacLean season, it was even before that. And Didn't Zubrus get into a fight with someone too? Maybe it was Langs and Zubrus?

Was it Scott Stevens and Randy McKay who got into a fight on the team plane over a card game? I remember that kind of put a scare into someone who had just joined the team at the time. I don't think that story became public until the 20 years reunion of the 95 cup team. I wanna say it was Shawn Chambers who told the story and it was right after he was traded here that year?
Wood?

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t mind players fighting a bit.

That hit was a bit low for my liking in practice thought. Apparently Dahlin was unhappy with an earlier hit and was getting payback from the Twitter comments. That would worry me more than the fight.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t mind players fighting a bit.

That hit was a bit low for my liking in practice thought. Apparently Dahlin was unhappy with an earlier hit and was getting payback from the Twitter comments. That would worry me more than the fight.
The reason I assume it’s not a good thing is because in my experience at least one person has to be acting like an ass for one to start. Either taking stupid shots and risking hurting teammates or the opposite where someone is just playing hard, safe hockey but you have a star player or something who’s being a diva and doesn’t think he should be touched in practice.

So I would wonder, was Krebs being an idiot previously or was Dahlin being a whiner and getting pissy about hard competition.

Ideally everyone is just competing and battling hard while being smart to not risk hurting teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad