Around the NHL 2024-2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I hope this is what Army was waiting for and can take advantage of some of these teams needing to shed salary

Yeah that would be a nice consolation prize. Would be great if we can weaponize that cap space and take advantage of cash strapped teams.

Re: Tarasenko, I bet he's pretty happy how things turned out last year. He got a decent payday and the right to choose his own destination at the deadline. Wouldn't surprise me to see him do the same this year. Or he could sign with Carolina or the Islanders, two teams that seemed to have interest in him in the past.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
On a secondary note, is Tarasenko making the same mistake 2 seasons in a row? IMO, he clearly overvalued himself a year ago, waited too long and found himself without a team and had to eventually accept a 1 year deal with a fairly undesirable team. Now, obviously it worked out pretty good for him in the end but I’m a little surprised he’s still out there.

Then again, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as he’s always seemed like someone whose self confidence outmeasured his actual market value.
I just can't consider it a mistake. He didn't get the long term deal he wanted, but the patience he displayed led to a fantastic 1 year deal for himself. In hindsight, the key to that 1 year deal in Ottawa was a full NTC. He ensured that he was either going to play for Ottawa all season if they were good or be able to fully dictate his destination if they turned into sellers. And when that time came, he made it crystal clear that there was exactly one team he'd go to.

Credit where credit is due. In the moment, I felt he bungled last summer. But getting that full NTC was a great, great stipulation as part of a 1 year deal that still paid him $5M.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I just can't consider it a mistake. He didn't get the long term deal he wanted, but the patience he displayed led to a fantastic 1 year deal for himself. In hindsight, the key to that 1 year deal in Ottawa was a full NTC. He ensured that he was either going to play for Ottawa all season if they were good or be able to fully dictate his destination if they turned into sellers. And when that time came, he made it crystal clear that there was exactly one team he'd go to.

Credit where credit is due. In the moment, I felt he bungled last summer. But getting that full NTC was a great, great stipulation as part of a 1 year deal that still paid him $5M.
That’s a fair point. The full NTC was definitely good leverage as Ottawa got very little for him at the deadline.

Like another poster said, I supposed it depends on what he truly values more these days. It seems like a year ago he valued a longterm deal but maybe that’s changed now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
And now Harley will be resigned.

Why the f*** did Army do Dallas a favor??!!!!
Faksa was never going to even remotely prevent Dallas from getting a deal done with Harley.

1 year at $3.25M is miles away from the type of immoveable boat anchor that prevents you from figuring out some type of deal with a 22 year old top 4 D man with no arbitration rights. Even if that $3.25M was a beer-league caliber player, that amount of money is not so hard to move that you can't find a way to get it done if/when you have to. Cap aside, Faksa is actually useful in an NHL game. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't take a late round pick to move him, but it was absolutely never going to be impossible.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Faksa was never going to even remotely prevent Dallas from getting a deal done with Harley.

1 year at $3.25M is miles away from the type of immoveable boat anchor that prevents you from figuring out some type of deal with a 22 year old top 4 D man with no arbitration rights. Even if that $3.25M was a beer-league caliber player, that amount of money is not so hard to move that you can't find a way to get it done if/when you have to. Cap aside, Faksa is actually useful in an NHL game. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't take a late round pick to move him, but it was absolutely never going to be impossible.
Wrong

Reactions: Fez Whatley

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Agreed. We’ll likely add a low hanging fruit UFA or two sometime in the next couple days and then look to weaponize the cap space with teams that went overboard with UFA signings and now need to shed contracts.

On a secondary note, is Tarasenko making the same mistake 2 seasons in a row? IMO, he clearly overvalued himself a year ago, waited too long and found himself without a team and had to eventually accept a 1 year deal with a fairly undesirable team. Now, obviously it worked out pretty good for him in the end but I’m a little surprised he’s still out there.

Then again, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as he’s always seemed like someone whose self confidence outmeasured his actual market value.
I expect Tarasenko to end up in Tampa on a one year deal for $3M or less.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Adam Gaudette is with Ottawa now. I'm sure we'll find another top-gun for Springfield.
raswcawkua4oaulmykxz.png

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Maybe a Harley extension coming. Not a bridge. They now have a little over 7m in cap space. It was around 2.5 yesterday.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Well there goes our Pinto dreams, just signed a 2 year extension

From what it sounds like, he was never really on the trade block. I think it was Seravelli who reported that he never actually asked to be traded. Was just speculation based on not having a contract signed.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Do they have any D they can give us in exchange for nothing? preferably LD. Obviously ones that would be upgrades to us I mean.
no, even after signing a few near league min deals with 3 new defenseman, they still need a 3rd pairing RHD or another depth d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad