Around the NHL 2024-2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
i don't understand why stars gave so much money to lyubuskhin when they still have to sign harley? @ChicagoBlues you've been following them- does it make more sense to you?
The main idea since their playoffs ended was for Nill to bridge Harley. Not so much to prove it, but to give Nill cap flexibility as they enter a period of raises to key forwards; Robertson, Johnston & Stankoven.

Then Suter was bought out and Tanev exited. Nils is gone, Jani gone. All that was left was Harley, Miro and Esa. That is gut wrenching. They missed out on Matt Roy, Pesce and Skjei. And then Dumba, Smith and Lybushkin happened. WTF!?

This is gonna sound crazy, but me thinks Harley is second guessing his future with the Dallas Stars. Nill needs to bridge him and he can, but will Harley take a bridge? A cheap bridge? Without other moves, the Stars are forced to offer Harley a bridge. And I'm not the only one who thinks Harley's camp is souring on his future there.

I'm calling a Harley holdout.

Their D is a mess. After today, it's still a mess and Harley remains unsigned. I saw this coming after I fell down the stairs and hit my head.

After next season, Benn's 9.5 comes off, which will provide the raise for Wyatt. I still think Daddy is available, but they are stuck with Faksa this season. Of course, the cap will creep up.

CDS was a target for backup to Jake, so there's that.

f*** the Stars.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If the Blues trade Buchnevich for a 1st or something else worthwhile at the deadline, I think this could be a good year to be another lottery/non-playoff team and get a solid draft pick.

I really like Buchnevich. If he wanted to re-sign here, as a manager I'd have a hard time saying no. I won't be mad if he stays through the rebuild. But its harder to make sense of it.

Armstrong has talked about trying to gauge Buchnevich's interest "sell him on the vision". But now that he saw a trade deadline pass with no reinforcements coming, maybe he will get the message he's meant to get, "Good luck at your next stop."

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Honestly after seeing a bunch of the contracts given out today, I think Faulk might have real value in another year when his NTC modifies. 6.5M for a top 4 RHD with 1-2 years of term is going to look mighty attractive when teams look at the type of silly money given out to some players in the last 24 hours.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Honestly after seeing a bunch of the contracts given out today, I think Faulk might have real value in another year when his NTC modifies. 6.5M for a top 4 RHD with 1-2 years of term is going to look mighty attractive when teams look at the type of silly money given out to some players in the last 24 hours.
Yes. Doesn't solve any problems, but relieves some of the relative sting.

--

What is Boston doing with their goaltending position? I'm confused. Anyone here up to date in Bean Town?

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Well there goes Henrique back to EDM for 2 years

How they have no cap space?

Speaking of cap space colorado might be f***ed, Seravelli says they they are at 11F, 5D, 2G and only have about 300k of space left and they are not the only ones in a situation like this. I have a feeling there is about to be a lot of movement to clear space after a day of reckless spending. Hopefully Army can take advantage, take on some bad expiring contracts and rake in additional assets.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Speaking of cap space colorado might be f***ed, Seravelli says they they are at 11F, 5D, 2G and only have about 300k of space left and they are not the only ones in a situation like this. I have a feeling there is about to be a lot of movement to clear space after a day of reckless spending. Hopefully Army can take advantage, take on some bad expiring contracts and rake in additional assets.
I wouldn’t mind picking up Ross Colton. I had interest in him a year ago, and he is a decent player that would give us a middle 6 center option. Plus he’s still 27 so even though I don’t think there’s a lot of untapped potential left, he would fit decently into our core moving forward.

Not sure if Colorado would trade him in the division, but due to their Cap concerns, they might if we gave them a decent offer and he would clear a good chunk of Cap for them.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

And 2 of those 11F are Landeskog and Nichushkin

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

That is a good question, I have seen reports they are trying to unload Kane, not sure if they will be able to though. They definitely will have to shed some salary because I believe they have some RFA's needing contracts as well such as Broberg, Holloway, etc.

As for Colorado, I have no idea what they plan on doing. I assume Landeskog will be on LTIR though and I am not sure how Nichushkin's contract works with his suspension, does it count against the cap? Either way they will have to make some moves, especially with Raantanen needing a new contact after this season they will certainly be a team to watch.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Well there goes Henrique back to EDM for 2 years
Damn. Pretty cheap deal. $3M AAV for 2 years. I would’ve easily matched or beaten that…

…and sounds like numerous other GMs did as it was reported he turned down better offers to return to the Oilers. If a guy really wants to play for a particular team, there’s not much you can do about it unfortunately.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Damn. Pretty cheap deal. $3M AAV for 2 years. I would’ve easily matched or beaten that…

…and sounds like numerous other GMs did as it was reported he turned down better offers to return to the Oilers. If a guy really wants to play for a particular team, there’s not much you can do about it unfortunately.
nevermind, should have read the second sentence before replying lol

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

From his POV coming off the Stanley Cup Finals appearance, he is in that stage of his career where he likely values being on a contender, over taking a matching offer with a team like us.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I hope this is what Army was waiting for and can take advantage of some of these teams needing to shed salary
Agreed. We’ll likely add a low hanging fruit UFA or two sometime in the next couple days and then look to weaponize the cap space with teams that went overboard with UFA signings and now need to shed contracts.

On a secondary note, is Tarasenko making the same mistake 2 seasons in a row? IMO, he clearly overvalued himself a year ago, waited too long and found himself without a team and had to eventually accept a 1 year deal with a fairly undesirable team. Now, obviously it worked out pretty good for him in the end but I’m a little surprised he’s still out there.

Then again, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as he’s always seemed like someone whose self confidence outmeasured his actual market value.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agreed. We’ll likely add a low hanging fruit UFA or two sometime in the next couple days and then look to weaponize the cap space with teams that went overboard with UFA signings and now need to shed contracts.

On a secondary note, is Tarasenko making the same mistake 2 seasons in a row? IMO, he clearly overvalued himself a year ago, waited too long and found himself without a team and had to eventually accept a 1 year deal with a fairly undesirable team. Now, obviously it worked out pretty good for him in the end but I’m a little surprised he’s still out there.

Then again, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as he’s always seemed like someone whose self confidence outmeasured his actual market value.
I think in addition to that, he’s not solely looking to maximize $. Tank apparently wants to stay in Florida. His family was apparently there at beginning of last year and he steered trade there. Panthers aren’t likely to pay big and it’s not clear that he wants to go somewhere that will. So he waits.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Tarasenko will just get another agent.. again

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think in addition to that, he’s not solely looking to maximize $. Tank apparently wants to stay in Florida. His family was apparently there at beginning of last year and he steered trade there. Panthers aren’t likely to pay big and it’s not clear that he wants to go somewhere that will. So he waits.
Yea it has been reported he has offers on the table but is taking his time, I know Penguins were one team, but I agree he likely wants to stay in FL

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I’m not sure what he prioritizes now. He’s got his name on the Cup again. Is he trying to maximize earnings, or have a stable home base? Trying for another Cup? (If so maybe going to a non playoff team in short term and traded at the deadline is the best strategy.)

I’ll root for him wherever he ends up, but it looks like it was the right move to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad