Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Finishing poorly in the right year works.
If the team is already poor, yes. Trying to force it also doesn't work.

The fundamental thing that needs to be understood w/r/t tanking is that it is not a plan that you engage in; it is a rationalization for when things are doing poorly. If you attempt to make it an active plan, you doom yourself, because you are literally planning for failure.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
It’s also worth remembering that for every team that wins the lottery in a McDavid or Mackinnon year, there are 8 teams that win the lottery in a Taylor Hall year and a couple that win in Yakupov years. Tanking only “works” if you’re lucky enough to win the good lotteries. Otherwise you just turn into Buffalo or pre-McDavid Edmonton in a non-stop spiral of suck.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It’s also worth remembering that for every team that wins the lottery in a McDavid or Mackinnon year, there are 8 teams that win the lottery in a Taylor Hall year and a couple that win in Yakupov years. Tanking only “works” if you’re lucky enough to win the good lotteries. Otherwise you just turn into Buffalo or pre-McDavid Edmonton in a non-stop spiral of suck.
Even with all of the consecutive top ten picks it took Edmonton over a decade to make noise in the postseason. Then again, they won the McDavid and Yakupov lotteries.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As an aside, does anybody else here visit Elite Prospects? I have noticed for the last week or more it is totally broken for me on web browsers on my laptop. I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge anyway. Is this something weird with my system? It does work on my iPhone with Chrome, however. Anybody else have any issues?
:dunno:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
As an aside, does anybody else here visit Elite Prospects? I have noticed for the last week or more it is totally broken for me on web browsers on my laptop. I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge anyway. Is this something weird with my system? It does work on my iPhone with Chrome, however. Anybody else have any issues?
:dunno:
I use it quite often, and haven't had any notable issues. For sure there are a ton of ads popping up when you first open it, but that's been the case since forever.

FWIW, I use it on Chrome on my PC.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So Ullmark for a late 1st, a 3 million dollar backup, and a 4th liner. I know ullmark had trade protection but woof.
I'm guessing the killer here is going to be the contract extension Ullmark is getting. He wouldn't have waived unless he was going to get PAID. And probably not a lot of teams were ready to pay him what Ottawa is about to. That contract extension will be interesting for us as we get closer to Saros' extension being announced.

Reactions: Gh24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm guessing the killer here is going to be the contract extension Ullmark is getting. He wouldn't have waived unless he was going to get PAID. And probably not a lot of teams were ready to pay him what Ottawa is about to. That contract extension will be interesting for us as we get closer to Saros' extension being announced.
Per Friedman it sounds like he is going to play out the season before extending. So rental price for sure. Worst comes to worst ottawa tries to peel back a 2nd at the deadline and then it only cost the difference between a late 1st and a late 2nd to dump Korpisalo.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Per Friedman it sounds like he is going to play out the season before extending. So rental price for sure. Worst comes to worst ottawa tries to peel back a 2nd at the deadline and then it only cost the difference between a late 1st and a late 2nd to dump Korpisalo.
For some reason I thought he had a full NMC. I guess in his haste to cross off the whole Western Conference, he must have left Ottawa off the list. Whups. :DD

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
“So you won the Conn Smythe?”

“Yeah, it’s over there under my dirty clothes”

“That’s awesome. How did lifting the Cup feel?”

“Uh, well, we didn’t win”

“What do you mean? You were the MVP. Of course you guys won”

“Yeah, uh, my award was for best dude in the playoffs. Not the Final”

“Bruh, what? I mean, what does that mean? You didn’t win, but you got a, like, participation trophy?”

Fade to black…

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
“So you won the Conn Smythe?”

“Yeah, it’s over there under my dirty clothes”

“That’s awesome. How did lifting the Cup feel?”

“Uh, well, we didn’t win”

“What do you mean? You were the MVP. Of course you guys won”

“Yeah, uh, my award was for best dude in the playoffs. Not the Final”

“Bruh, what? I mean, what does that mean? You didn’t win, but you got a, like, participation trophy?”

Fade to black…
He also apparently didn't come out and accept it which is not a good look. I think he will reflect back on that and regret it.

Reactions: Adz and hido

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
There's definitely an argument that the last two games could lose the Smythe for him but if you're taking the whole playoffs into account it's hard for me to argue McDavid deserved it. He was amazing for the most part.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
McJesus winning the Conn Smythe makes sense with his overall performance. Dude broke records and dragged his team back into the finals.

Florida is now the State of Hockey. 3 Stanley Cups in the last five seasons ... five consecutive Cup finals .... three consecutive ECHL championships ... 2021 SPHL champs.

No income tax ... come on down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad