Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Definitely weird timing with the CHI/NYI pick swap. Guess they wanted me to redo my mock draft.

I'm reminded of Columbus trading down right before the 2009 Draft began. Then a couple hours later they pivoted and traded back up. Toronto GM Brian Burke was mic'd up and I remember him kinda making fun of Columbus, saying something like "That was a lot of work for an extra third."

NYI: #16, #77
CLB: #26, #37, #62, #92

CLB: #21
ANA: #26, #37

CLB: #56
NYI: #62, 92

In the end, Columbus swapped #16 and #77 for #21 and #56.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Waddell looks like he’s gotta be about 70 years old. Not sure why he’d be coveted to a GM anymore. He doesn’t have a track record of success or cups like Lou/Kenny Holland/Rutherford.

I still think they hold out for Holland in Columbus, unless he’s said he’s retiring and won’t accept it.

And I’m surprised Tulsky is only an interim and not the permanent GM. Friedman was talking today about how he’s a huge part in the decision making process there in Carolina. And that was recorded before the news that Waddell was definitely out.

He also mentioned how he interviewed with Pittsburgh last year before they got Dubas and one other team who I forget.

Unless he doesn’t want to be the actual GM. You would think he’s insulted that Dundon isn’t making him the actual GM or at least not before slapping an interim tag on him.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wow. We'll see if this works out. I guess as opposition fans we really only care about the on-ice part of it, but the GM role usually has significant scope beyond that.

I really thought Dundon would find a way to keep Waddell as an advisor or something. But, maybe that's what was happening behind the scenes already?

Clearly a tough organization to work for. But, there are a lot of up-or-out places that have thrived in American business. Maybe Carolina can be one of them.
I could see him staying on as an advisor, though I'd think he would take the Columbus GM job if offered.

I just have a hard time seeing them hire him over Holland, if Holland actually wants to still keep working after this year.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Something weird is going on in Carolina. One of the busiest offseasons in terms of players needing contracts and Waddell just leaves?
If they really wanted to promote Tulsky, why would they only give him the interim tag?

Maybe ownership was forcing Waddell to make certain moves and he didn't want to be a part of it?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Something weird is going on in Carolina. One of the busiest offseasons in terms of players needing contracts and Waddell just leaves?
If they really wanted to promote Tulsky, why would they only give him the interim tag?

Maybe ownership was forcing Waddell to make certain moves and he didn't want to be a part of it?
Dundon going on that power trip over the aho offer set just to return the favor on a shittier player with a shittier contract is what really started the weirdness for Carolina

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't think Waddell just abruptly left. His contract was expiring anyway.

They may have had no plans to bring him back anyway.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I feel like this is a trade you make at the draft when someone you really like falls. In a vacuum I’d rather have two 2nds than one.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I feel like this is a trade you make at the draft when someone you really like falls. In a vacuum I’d rather have two 2nds than one.

At that point you can't be sure the trade is available - those trades happen only when both teams agree that it's smart to do it, and that's relatively rare. I do think Chicago is losing some value here but with a million picks I don't think it's a bad move.

Reactions: Guttersniped

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
What a terrible trade by Chicago. Why would you give up a 2nd round pick to move up a mere two spots from 20OA to 18OA and four spots in round two?! They don’t even know who will or will not be on the board yet. I really don’t understand this piece of business at all.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
What a terrible trade by Chicago. Why would you give up a 2nd round pick to move up a mere two spots from 20OA to 18OA and four spots in round two?! They don’t even know who will or will not be on the board yet. I really don’t understand this piece of business at all.
The interesting thing is that the Chicago board absolutely loved it.

I was with you... I'd take a late second for a couple of spots in the back half of the first and a few in the back half of the second

Reactions: longislanddevil

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
AHL isnt really good league for development if we are talking about players who needs more than just maturing. Holtz, Okhotiuk and others would benefit from european adult leagues more. Both needs positioning and develop the game with the puck under pressure.
If everything will go well, Okhotiuk will return from KHL for one more push. Watched some of his game this season and he was really good in some games, made really bad mistakes in others. Still very competent in puck battles and mobile for NHL.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Assuming he means international… does that mean he’s gone from the Sharks?

He's on Calgary now.

Not a good sign for that organization. Nikita was in NA from the start and he's bailing to Russia before teams go out and sign players.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
He's on Calgary now.

Not a good sign for that organization. Nikita was in NA from the start and he's bailing to Russia before teams go out and sign players.
lol damn, he’s definitely not on the Sharks then (forgot he was part of a trade). Somethings been going on with Calgary for some years now with the Matthew and Johnny hockey purge.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Waddel is in perfect situation in columbus. Jackets drafted tonns of young players, they are in development, they will got Lindstrom or Demidov most likely and will maximaize their offensive potential on this draft to add new high level talent to the team that lead by Fantili in near future.
No one will ask a lot from Waddel in the next two-three years, after that Fantilli, Lindstrom\Demidov, Johnson, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Brindley and some guys like Chinakhov, Marchenko, Voronkov, Ivanov, Dumais, Svozil, Sillinger, Del Bel Belluz, Ceulemans, Pinelli etc who can be very good second wave guys or already are. No responsibility in the next years, when it will come - his young guys will be already ready. Nice situation. Doesnt look like owners dont want to spend money.
But he needs to find good coaching stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad