Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could see them having a season similar to ours last year with the talent they have. Ruff is fine getting your team to being competitive, I just don't think he's good at taking the next step once you get there.
If he wanted a spot with 'less' critical media than NJ well he sure found it lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would bet a decent amount of money that they finish ahead of us in the standings next year.
Do you have someone on the inside who briefed you that Travis Green was going to have the interim tag removed and return for next season?:sarcasm:

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lindy already has a place there, for what it's worth. I don't think he ever moved out of there after he was fired the first time. I remember the story about him and his son driving there over all star break of 2023 and they got stuck in a snowstorm or something. I know he has a summer place in Montana, but I'm pretty sure he's kept his place in Buffalo.

I believe it's close enough to Buffalo to commute. So it'll be an easy transition for him.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Before an entire offseason? I wouldn’t until I see what changes the teams make including our coaching hire.

I could see them having a season similar to ours last year with the talent they have. Ruff is fine getting your team to being competitive, I just don't think he's good at taking the next step once you get there.

Do you have someone on the inside who briefed you that Travis Green was going to have the interim tag removed and return for next season?:sarcasm:
I was mostly shitposting. They have a lot of talent there that I could see working in a Lindy scheme if they adopt it quickly. Just as good a chance they're the same as they were this year though

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
the mark stone thread on the main boards is wiiiiiild lol
I didn’t do the math but someone in there said the Vegas roster for last night was under the annual cap number.

I don’t have the time to add up their rosters just yet but I may later.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Thought that was a little expensive with a limited NHL résumé, but then realized we very well might have to do the same for Gritsyuk next year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There was an article in the Athletic today or yesterday; apparently their 20 man roster for the game last night was like $750k over the cap.
The popular solution (that I don’t think actually works) seems to be to make teams fit under the annual salary cap with your playoff lineup using their annual cap hit.

It is kind of funny that the poster child team for this issue also it conformed to some people’s preferred solution without even needing to.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The popular solution (that I don’t think actually works) seems to be to make teams fit under the annual salary cap with your playoff lineup using their annual cap hit.

It is kind of funny that the poster child team for this issue also it conformed to some people’s preferred solution without even needing to.
Fans just need something to be upset about. We want feel like the system is rigged against our team or if not exactly our team, then in favor of some other specific team.

It's why there's not really a reason for league to change things unless someone is truly abusing the rules.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yikes.

Canucks big moves aren’t going to mean much if they lost Demko or he’s not 100%.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Fans just need something to be upset about. We want feel like the system is rigged against our team or if not exactly our team, then in favor of some other specific team.

It's why there's not really a reason for league to change things unless someone is truly abusing the rules.
i agree fans like being upset - but this is egregious and has been exploited by teams to win the cup pretty regularly. it’s absolutely an unfair advantage loophole

Reactions: Patrik26

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
i agree fans like being upset - but this is egregious and has been exploited by teams to win the cup pretty regularly. it’s absolutely an unfair advantage loophole
No it really isn't that big of a deal. The Knights are currently less than a million over the cap. The rules apply the same to every team. If there was fraud going on and it was this easy to exploit, every team would be doing it. And if some teams had some hidden advantage of getting away with fraud that others didn't, the owners and players would likely be onboard with getting it fixed. They like the LTIR system as it is, what does that tell you?

Stone had a friggin lacerated spleen, people are over here screaming bloody murder like he got put on LTIR for a stubbed toe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad